48fps - Too Fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
psolberg said:
HurtinMinorKey said:
I think most people want 60p so they have the option to slow things down.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
How about 600fps? It depends on what you need and are willing to pay for.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2010/12/01/famous-footwear-neighborhood/

neither of you seems to have read the OP's links. the issue is NOT about cameras. It is about PEOPLE.
jez people read!!!!

The two links posted by the OP are about high frame rates used in producing films. I did read them.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
psolberg said:
HurtinMinorKey said:
I think most people want 60p so they have the option to slow things down.
How about 600fps? It depends on what you need and are willing to pay for.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2010/12/01/famous-footwear-neighborhood/

neither of you seems to have read the OP's links. the issue is NOT about cameras. It is about PEOPLE.
jez people read!!!!

The two links posted by the OP are about high frame rates used in producing films. I did read them.

yes but the greater point was that people are used to 24fps being "film" and anything higher is receiving mixed reactions because it looks like a tv show or documentary instead of a movie. This was never about camera issues but about people's perception of how movies should look like.

Upvote 0
so that's it:
* I don't like high fps, it looks really bad (actually, I can know if my camera is set to 24p or 60p just by looking at the LCD screen: if it looks like a cheap soap opera, it's 60p)
* still, I whine for 1080p60; but don't worry, I'll conform it to 24p before showing it to anybody

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
One outcome of 48fps shooting should be that the 3D version will be 24fps for both eyes, rather than 12fps for each eye, which should make the 3D easier on the eyes for a lot of people.

that should be nice but 3D is suck gimick for me that I will never own a TV that make me wear glasses like a dork. I don't mind 48p. In fact I'd much rather have 60p or higher in plain old 2D.

Upvote 0
A few people touched on it, but there is quite a difference between playback at 48 fps and recording at any other speed. If I read somewhere correctly a while back, the Hobbit was shot mostly at 4k 96 fps. This gives them the option in post to slow things down with incredible detail. The RED cameras that they are using are absolutely amazing. I was in a short video shot on a RED EPIC last summer and it was better than anything I could have imagined.

Super Mario Marathon 4 : Boredom is in Another Castle!

I also watched a live stream of some video people who were filming a light bulb being smashed. They were shooting at 120 fps, and they were not able to actually capture the glass cracking. I think they estimated they would need something in the 500-1000 fps in order to capture the glass cracking. More fps is like having more resolution, except not in pixels, but in time.

We are all "used" to 24 fps in the theater, and 30 fps on TV. Once we become accustomed to 48 fps, it may not be such a big deal. If it looks anything like the "enhanced" modes that modern TVs have, though, I will probably hate it too. I always turn that crap off because I think it looks like campy pan and scan.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

I was actually kinda floored by the 'it looks un-cinematic' criticism since it really came down to 'it doesn't look wrong enough, it is not twue cinema!'. People routinely game at sometimes hundreds of frames per second, once one gets over the subtle 'this looks wrong' feeling and realizes that one is used to a flaw that has been mitigated, it works pretty well.

It kinda reminds me of fantasy physics, the stuff one sees in most movies. The brain gets used to things looking wrong to the point that once something actually looks right it feels off.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
One outcome of 48fps shooting should be that the 3D version will be 24fps for both eyes, rather than 12fps for each eye, which should make the 3D easier on the eyes for a lot of people.

That was my first thought. I don't really think 3D adds anything to a movie but I'd be more inclined to watch a movie in 3D if the action was so broken up and jittery. It looks like I don't have V-sync on my eyes turned on. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.