5.9K RAW video recording still a possibility for the EOS-1D X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were told a few months back the EOS-1D X Mark III was being tested with 6K video capabilities. However, Canon only mentioned 4K recording during their development announcement.
We have been told that 5.9K RAW external recording is still on the table. A final decision on the feature had not been made at the time of the source testing the camera.
On a side note, the EOS-1D X Mark III will record full sensor 4K, so that means no crop. 4K will also have DPAF.

Could this possibly be to “future proof” what will likely be the last of the EOS-1 series DSLRs?
We are NOT claiming this is definitely coming to the EOS-1D X Mark III. We just know there are still some big surprises in store for this camera and are just reporting what we have been told.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't personally have any use for the feature, hell, I never even record in 4K in general and most of the wedding videographers I know shoot in 1080/ 60fps. But I do know that shooting 5.6k will look good on a spec sheet against Nikon and/ or Sony for a little while.

I would love to have 6k recording on a Canon camera for macro, a spider entombing a fly or a ladybug snacking on an aphid. With 6k I could use the 100mm L IS lens to film things and crop, instead of the non-IS MP-E65mm at 2x.
But it would be 'nice to have', certainly not in the realm of 'dealbreaker' for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I don't personally have any use for the feature, hell, I never even record in 4K in general and most of the wedding videographers I know shoot in 1080/ 60fps. But I do know that shooting 5.6k will look good on a spec sheet against Nikon and/ or Sony for a little while.
Hm I guess they use 1080p 60fps because there are not many cameras with 4k 60 (if its not a tiny sensor)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Definitely, people need different things, so wise decision for Canon would be to release at least two different 1Dxs - one for sports and video - 6k, 20fps etc, and other for studio and landscapes - with up to 100 megapixels.
Whats the point of a studio 1dx. Isnt it designed just got ruggedness and sports/speed. two things a studio isnt known for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Definitely, people need different things, so wise decision for Canon would be to release at least two different 1Dxs - one for sports and video - 6k, 20fps etc, and other for studio and landscapes - with up to 100 megapixels.
I'm a sports shooter, why not make a sports still image camera and a video camera? I have never used video ever on any of my DSLRs? How much extra are those that just shoot stills paying for something they don't use. I know I cant be the only one.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I'm a sports shooter, why not make a sports still image camera and a video camera? I have never used video ever on any of my DSLRs? How much extra are those that just shoot stills paying for something they don't use. I know I cant be the only one.
Didn’t they try that already with the 1DC? Didn’t go too well then, pretty sure they will never try that move again.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can't be the only pro photographer that shoots a huge variety of things? I cover events, shoot in my studio and make videos. I would love a robust camera like this(sometimes I cover fast action) but I'm afraid it is going to be too low in MP for me. My best hope will be a 5D replacement or similar to 5D R model. If this was at least 30MP it would be my next camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Hm I guess they use 1080p 60fps because there are not many cameras with 4k 60 (if its not a tiny sensor)
That, and the storage required is pretty crazy. Then again, I suppose a 1D series camera isn't exactly the wedding photographer go to (though, I do know a couple who use a 1DXII and another with the similar D4).

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I would love to have 6k recording on a Canon camera for macro, a spider entombing a fly or a ladybug snacking on an aphid. With 6k I could use the 100mm L IS lens to film things and crop, instead of the non-IS MP-E65mm at 2x.
But it would be 'nice to have', certainly not in the realm of 'dealbreaker' for me.
I'm really hoping the MP-e gets an update soon. MP-R, if you will. That would be a huge push for me to jump into the RF cameras.
Though, right now I really want that lowa probe macro. My friend rented one and let me play around with it for a bit. It's everything I thought it would be when I first saw the concept.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The 100MP 1Dx you suggested sound like the 5Dv. It does not need to have a rugged body, high FPS, and it also don't need to have high ISO for you will use it with artificial lightening. The 1Dx is for action, so it has to have all those features.

Upvote 0
I can't be the only pro photographer that shoots a huge variety of things? I cover events, shoot in my studio and make videos. I would love a robust camera like this(sometimes I cover fast action) but I'm afraid it is going to be too low in MP for me. My best hope will be a 5D replacement or similar to 5D R model. If this was at least 30MP it would be my next camera.
I'd be surprised if it weren't one of the next 2 EOS R. The first may have an 83 megapixel sensor, dual cards and possibly ibis, the follow up a hybrid that take EF and RF natively. The new 1 DX iii supposedly allows you to keep the mirror up so sort of a hybrid. I just don't see Canon or other camera manufacturers spending a lot of development dollars on DSLR technology going forward.

Upvote 0
Makes sense to me. Basically a c500 Mark II in a DSLR body the same way that a 1DX Mark II is a scaled up c200. 5.9K down sampled to 4K for internal recording and 5.9K to external recorder. 24MP for stills which is a respectable 20% bump over the 1DX2. If it were my project that's what I would have been driving towards.

Yes I know all of you Canon Rumorites hate video but the tech to push high MP/High FR data is going to come from the cinema side unless you want a 1DX3 with a 5D4/R 30MP sensor that maxes out at 8 FPS or so.

Upvote 0
I think they're waiting to see what Nikon does, and will compete with the Nikon flagship as needed. If they offer 5.9k raw via external I'll buy 3. If they disable DPAF for 5.9k, this could be a great time to jump ship, despite all the waiting till this camera finally arrived.

Many bird and sports photographers don't care about 6k video, but photographers producing 4k video in their spare time do care a lot. As stills shooters we are addicted to being able to crop in post, and want the same ability for our serious but part time video work.

Canon missed the 4k video boat, always behind, always too late to be relevant, if they want to change they need to give us a camera for tomorrow, not a camera for yesterday.

Much of their current financial pain is because they were committed to being a follower, not a leader. Today is a good day to change. Tomorrow more stills shooters will be shooting video than ever before. Give us a camera for tomorrow!

Last edited:
Upvote 0