500 f4 L IS USM MK1

I found a 500 F4 L IS USM (Mk1) to euro3700 in excellent condition (with original plastic box and cover camo)
Is it a good lens?
I think this is the right choice especially by fitting it on EOS6D + 1,4III (becomes 5.6 and operates the autofocus)
The front/rear lenses are very clean, No powder inside and the paint is A++
I know that is heavy but I use it for photos from positioning.

Or should look for a MK2 used ?
The price difference is worth all the technical improvements of MK2?
I would like the opinion of those who have used them all and two, thanks
GPAOLO from Italy

This seems a great price for me.

The Mark 2 version is 0.8kg lighter, 3.7 kg instead of 4.5kg, which is a nice difference, especially handheld. Further the IS offeres 4 stops instead 2 stops assistence, wich means 4x longer shutter times handheld. IQ of the new lens is just fantastic, even with extender, but the Mark 1 should be excellent as well.

So, if you want shoot handheld i would stretch for a version 2 (which might be 2x the price) if you can, for use on tripod this offer seems to be great

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I like the Canon 500 F4 L IS (Mk1 or 2) very much indeed! However they are not ideal for my personal needs.

Whilst the Mk2 is significantly lighter either will get tiring to use hand held after a while so a good tripod and head (don't skimp here) must be factored into the cost. As a bare lens either will delight you - they are simply excellent. Where the Mk2 scores is with 1.4 Mk3 and 2 x Mk3 extenders. Whilst the Mk1 works very well with the 1.4 the 500 Mk2 auto focuses better and is a little sharper - you will have to pixel peep to tell but the Mk2 is better. With the 2 x extender it is more of the same with a little more advantage to the Mk2. The main difference to me is the weight where the Mk2 scores highly.

I cannot comment on the improved (?) IS as I do not use IS as I get sharper shots (down to fairly low shutter speeds) without it + I get faster AF lock and better tracking too.

I am not too up to date on prices but that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

If the lens is as good as you say I think you will be very happy with it - now for a nice tripod and head to really break the bank!

Upvote 0