50D->5D3 upgrade, what to do with my lenses?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Juul

Hey everyone, this is my first post so you'll have to forgive me if it overlaps with a previous topic!

I currently still use my trusty 50D, it has served me quite well but I'm slowly bumping into more of it's restrictions. I'm not completely decided if I want a 6D or a 5D3 but probably 5D3.

Anyway, I've been aiming at a full frame body since I started photography so both my lenses are L's, the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 IS v1. I bought both these lenses second hand and I'm not completely sure if I aquired sharp copies or not, hard to judge if you've never used other copies.
My question is, will these lenses still be able to obtain the maximum from a 5D3?

I recently moved from a 7D to the 5D3. All my lenses were for crop, so I sold them. In your case, you have 2 pro workhorse lenses made for full frame. While they fall short of their newer counterparts, I don't see why they wouldn't be great on your new camera, especially since you can microadjust for wide and telephoto on both of those bodies.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, the lenses will be fantastic on FF. Obviously, the newer lenses are sharper, but the lenses you have will be fine.
FF is actually more forgiving of lenses, since the photosites are larger (lower pixel density). It takes a higher resolution lens for small sensor cameras because they have a higher density of photosites. The 15mp sensor of the 50D would be 38.4mp if it were upsized to FF but kept the same pixel density. This means your lenses will be just fine.

Upvote 0
Repeating, the newer lenses are sharper, but remember the 5d3 came out before the 24-70 2.8 ii (so pros used it), and even pros stay with the 70-200 1, because it's so great, that's why they still produce the non-is.
People need to remember that these were the greatest lenses at one point, kind of like the canon fd L lenses, and the 6d (5d2)

I know 2.8 is awesome, but selling your 24-70 could let you get the 24-70 f4 is or 24-105, just for the sharpness/versatility, iOS will save you from f4.

The 70-200 isn't worth selling, you wouldn't get anything better besides the mark ii.
Or you could wait and see what the new tamron does.

But in conclusion, you won't suffer from the older lenses on the 5d3, even all the older ef lenses are designed to work, they don't say all lenses work with all camera produced since 198X

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Hi,

I went the same route you are contemplating, and opted to go from the 50d to the 5diii. The only difference is that you already have some great FF lenses whereas I had the EF-s 10-22 and EF-s 15-85 (not that these were bad, just not a lens for a FF body). I sold these lenses and my 50d to afford the 5diii along with a 17-40 and 24-105. You are ahead of the game!

Just yesterday, I was shooting very acceptable pics indoors at iso 6000, something that would be much more problematic on the 50d. Go for the camera. Keep your great lenses.

JP

Upvote 0
J

Juul

Thx for the info everyone! It's good to know that my trusty zooms will keep my a happy camper for a while to come. Although I'm very curious to see how the 24-70 f4 performs. I can't wait to get my 5D3, I expect quite the jump in quality.

My next lens after my 5D3 upgrade will have to be a fast and sharp prime though, so many options! The 50 1.2 seems like a mighty allrounder, but if I'm not mistaking, not particularly sharp. I just feel a bit conflicted buying the 50 1.4, as it's a lens from like 1992 (I believe the optical formula even dates back to the early FL's) but there's probably no reason to get the 1.2 if 1.4 will be enough. My dream would be the 85 1.2 II, but it will probably have to wait, considering it's cost

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.