50mm or 85mm?

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think I'm in a minority but I like the 50 1.2.
I think it makes great photographs.
The 85mm also creates lovely photos but I find the focusing slow and slightly unreliable.
I'd never sell my Canon 100mm macro - a great lens I think.
If you are APS-C then I'd 50mm.
I'm tempted by Sigma 105mm Bokeh Monster. I'll be interested when that gets proper reviews.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
stevelee said:
Did we ever find out whether the body is FF or APS-C? If the former, then 85 or 100 mm is good; if the latter, then 50mm is about right.

His signature says he has both FF and APS-C.
I know many think 85mm (in FF terms) is about perfect for portraits, although personally I'm considering selling my 85mm prime at the moment and running with wider and longer primes (although I will still have a zoom which covers 85mm).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
jd7 said:
stevelee said:
Did we ever find out whether the body is FF or APS-C? If the former, then 85 or 100 mm is good; if the latter, then 50mm is about right.

I know many think 85mm (in FF terms) is about perfect for portraits, although personally I'm considering selling my 85mm prime at the moment and running with wider and longer primes (although I will still have a zoom which covers 85mm).

When I shot film, I had just primes, since back then zooms for the most part were pretty bad all the way around. My 85mm lens was a favorite, even though I didn't shoot a ton of portraits.

Now for me, 85mm is just one point out of many on my 24-105mm zoom. I feel no need to run out and buy an 85mm lens. If I feel the need for a blurry background on a portrait, I can use my 100mm macro that opens to f/2.8. With decent background distance, that is plenty blurry for me (more or less like f/1.4 on the 50mm lens). More often I take pictures of people where the environment is part of the composition. Not everything needs to be in sharp focus, but I do want things recognizable. So while in theory as well as in my experience in the last century, I love an 85mm lens, in reality if I had that prime, it wouldn't get a lot of use.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
stevelee said:
jd7 said:
stevelee said:

When I shot film, I had just primes, since back then zooms for the most part were pretty bad all the way around. My 85mm lens was a favorite, even though I didn't shoot a ton of portraits.

Now for me, 85mm is just one point out of many on my 24-105mm zoom. I feel no need to run out and buy an 85mm lens. If I feel the need for a blurry background on a portrait, I can use my 100mm macro that opens to f/2.8. With decent background distance, that is plenty blurry for me (more or less like f/1.4 on the 50mm lens). More often I take pictures of people where the environment is part of the composition. Not everything needs to be in sharp focus, but I do want things recognizable. So while in theory as well as in my experience in the last century, I love an 85mm lens, in reality if I had that prime, it wouldn't get a lot of use.

Same here regarding the 85mm. The 70-200 and 24-70 are just so good. I really could survive with just those two and probably be happy. Can't see myself ever upgrading either one. If I get another Canon lens it will be just for the heck of it, and probably a super telephoto... but a 135mm f/2 IS would be very tempting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sabaki said:
So I already own (and love!) the Canon 100m f/2.8 L IS but I'm weighing up adding a bokeh monster to my kit bag too

Thing is, I would prefer the 85mm but it is so close in focal length to the 100mm which had me thinking of considering a 50mm.

Which way would you guys go if you already own a 100m? 50mm or 85mm?

On second thought... EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I got the 24-105mm STM with my 6D2 to hold me until I figured out what lenses I wanted, but it turns out to be a keeper. Not a thing wrong with it for my purposes. It also is close in range to what I’m used to on the G7X II, so I feel at home with that range (and seldom is heard . . .). So I just bought 100-400mm and 16-35mm zooms to go with it.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
CanonFanBoy said:
Sabaki said:
So I already own (and love!) the Canon 100m f/2.8 L IS but I'm weighing up adding a bokeh monster to my kit bag too

Thing is, I would prefer the 85mm but it is so close in focal length to the 100mm which had me thinking of considering a 50mm.

+1

I love the flexibility of the 70-200 f2.8 IS. My HS Senior portrait shoots are typically outdoors and the 70-200 gives me an incredible degree of flexibility to work the background into or out of the frame. This f2.8 zoom also gives me great control over depth of field. Plus, there are some locations where one just can’t zoom with one’s feet.

I used an 85 f1.8 during one shoot and found it too limiting for how I shoot. When a client gives me that fleeting look or smile, I want to capture it quickly which may mean zooming from a full body shot to a head and shoulders shot.

Admittedly, the new 85 f1.4 IS still intrigues me and for those times when I’m working near the 85mm length, this lens would give me even more control of depth of field – and bokeh. But, (for me) this means shooting with two bodies with the zoom on the other and the added distraction of deciding when to choose between the two. There is a simplicity with one body and the 70-200 that helps me keep my attention with my client which often leads to better moments to capture and better images.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
FTb-n said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Sabaki said:

+1

I love the flexibility of the 70-200 f2.8 IS. My HS Senior portrait shoots are typically outdoors and the 70-200 gives me an incredible degree of flexibility to work the background into or out of the frame. This f2.8 zoom also gives me great control over depth of field. Plus, there are some locations where one just can’t zoom with one’s feet.

I used an 85 f1.8 during one shoot and found it too limiting for how I shoot. When a client gives me that fleeting look or smile, I want to capture it quickly which may mean zooming from a full body shot to a head and shoulders shot.

Admittedly, the new 85 f1.4 IS still intrigues me and for those times when I’m working near the 85mm length, this lens would give me even more control of depth of field – and bokeh. But, (for me) this means shooting with two bodies with the zoom on the other and the added distraction of deciding when to choose between the two. There is a simplicity with one body and the 70-200 that helps me keep my attention with my client which often leads to better moments to capture and better images.

Yup. It's the flexibility of those two zooms (24-70, 70-200) and the excellent IQ that has me preferring them above anything else. They are both awesome.

Attachments

• Tarzan 1 web.jpg
    Tarzan 1 web.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • Water world 1 web.jpg
    Water world 1 web.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
stevelee said:
Great photos. With that cute a subject it would be hard to make bad picture, I admit.

Thanks! He's my boy. Well, my grandson, but we are raising him for the most part. Mom works long hours so he thinks I'm papa.

Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden

Upvote 0