Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Re: 5D Mark II & 7D Mode Dial Lock Upgrade

Will I pay for the change? Don't know... have to think about it. I suspect that Canon is not expecting to do a whole lot of these.

Will I mind if it comes standard in the next model? Not at all.

Same here. I've had this happen occasionally as well. Seems to be a particular problem for me when I pulling the camera in or out of a bag, both shoulder and sling-type. But, is it worth sending the camera in for? Not sure. I'll probably wait until they do an upgrade on a future model.

More annoying to me is that I often find myself accidentally changing more important settings (film speed, exposure compensation, RAW to JPG, etc. by accidentally rotating the quick control dial when the quick control screen is active. As near as I can tell the "lock" feature on the dial is for looks only, as it certainly doesn't lock anything when the quick control screen is active.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

unfocused said:
More annoying to me is that I often find myself accidentally changing more important settings (film speed, exposure compensation, RAW to JPG, etc. by accidentally rotating the quick control dial when the quick control screen is active. As near as I can tell the "lock" feature on the dial is for looks only, as it certainly doesn't lock anything when the quick control screen is active.

If you push a button (or one is pushed accidentally), that function is active for 6 seconds and turning the QCD will change it, regardless of the lock setting. The lock setting disables the QCD only when just turning it without a button press makes a change (i.e. EC, or aperture in M).

Upvote 0
S

Son of Daguerre

tzalmagor said:
If you think $100 is expensive, you should find out how expensive it is in Israel - the price is 994 NIS, U.S.$236 + 16% VAT, to a grand total of U.S.$274.

Don't ask me where the extra $136 go to, as I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

HaShem Yishmor, ₪994 is a pretty penny, er, agura! I'd assume they're using the sheqalim to bulk up the firefighting resources, what with the Carmel inferno...

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

as i do own a 60d, I'm not completely sure, wether to love or to hate this "feature".

sure, it prevents you from some sort of not wanted mode-selection - BUT - the handling of that button is one of the things I thing are most annoying on 60d at the same time. Especially annoying is, that 60d has toooooo much modes on the dial, so if you want to switch from "M" to "video", you have to go pretty a whole round through the dial-range. as you have to hold the button down the whole time, this isn't a very good solution, as it's not "handy" enough.

If the Mode-Lock was some kind of Push-In-and-Push-Out Button, that starts/stops the lock, this would be all fine - but in the current state, it's nothin I'd spent a penny on.

Go, grab a 60d at your local store and try to switch from m-to-video and vice versa for several times - you'll agree with me.

Upvote 0
F

F1to10Dbill

In addition to the expensive dial replacement by Canon, or as an alternative to it, another solution to the mode dial problem could theoretically come in an optional firmware upgrade allowing users, via custom function setting, to choose to consign 'B' and the auto 'green' and 'CA' settings to other modes redundantly, so that, for example, 'green' and 'CA' on the dial could both mean 'P' in actual function, and the dial's 'B' could actually mean 'M' once again. In this way, even if the dial were moved accidentally, at least the results could be far less catastrophic than if the shutter inadvertently didn't close, or the built-in flash (7D) suddenly fired in the wrong environment.

Alternatively, 'B' could be accessible as the slowest shutter speed available in 'M' and 'Tv' modes just like it was in the good old days.

With all due respect to astrophotographers, having 'B' on the mode dial is like always standing next to an abyss. All I am asking for is the option to, at least temporarily, move the entrance to the abyss a little farther away through custom settings.

While on the subject, and in case Canon is reading, although the rear quick control dial has inherited the EOS-1 tradition of being prudently provided with a lock, especially welcomed by photographers who carry their cameras around their necks, Canon has failed to provide a handy solution to the problem of accidentally rotating the main dial next to the shutter release atop the camera's grip or optional vertical grip. This is especially a problem when long lenses are mounted and cameras are slung from the shoulder with the lenses pointed in towards the photographer's body in order to protect the lens, or to enable the photographer to move through crowds or tight spaces safely or unobtrusively.

In the case of the vertical grip, the provision of an on/off switch is only a small step in the right direction, being that the switch controls the vertical shutter release as well; the control dial set to 'off' means the shutter release is also off, which is usually too extreme a precaution as it means taking the risk of missing the all-elusive "Decisive Moment."

I can't help but wonder how many engineers at Canon remember the positive feel of the old mechanical film camera controls. I have never had a Canon F1 or FT, Nikon F2 or FM2, or Olympus OM-1 accidentally be set to 'B' or otherwise change shutter speeds or apertures simply by normal rubbing against my clothing or the inside of a bag. (Some of these cameras were prosumer models, so please don't say, "Buy a 1DIV.") If you happen to be the one Canon engineer who remembers, please kindly make your voice heard.

Upvote 0
M

mosesport

It blows my mind that enough people found this a problem as to necessitate adding a mod like this.

I have taken pictures with SLRs for over 10 years and never ONCE accidentally bumped the mode dial. Is this REALLY a problem for people?

Even if it were an issue, it literally takes a millisecond to flip it back. Are you really worried that in that exact millisecond, you're going to miss the shot that's going to get you published in Time magazine? The average lifespan in America is over 80 years now. I promise there will be more opportunities. This is a non-issue and a waste of $100.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.