5D Mark II or 1D Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aditya

Just thought I'd mention that I was considering grabbing a 5D MKII during the winter price drops and wanted to trade in my 40D (I bought a refurb 7D last year but wanted to get in on the FF fun). The $2000 avg sale price was still a bit much for me and so I mailed my 40D into Adorama to trade-in (despite the $ loss) and was able to buy a demo 5DMKII w/full warranty for just under $1700 with the trade in. Jack, in the used dept. was the guy I worked with. Perhaps this may be an option if you decide to go with a new body.

By the way, the new 5D is great in so many ways...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've had the 1D MK III, 5D MK II, and 7D. The best for wide vistas is the 5D MK II. My 1D MK III was wonderful, not enough MP for high detail, and there are no wide lenses for it. You need a 13mm lens to be the equivalent of 17mm with the 5D MK II. I bought a 14mm Samyang to try with the 1D MK III, but that lens was a piece of junk, and the 1D MK III did not work right with it except in full manual.

The 10-22 sounds like a good way to go, otherwise, I'd get a FF body.

Since you are on a motorcycle, why not look at smaller cameras? There are a number of small mirrorless cameras on the market that would be a lot easier to take on a cycle.

I took this image in Yellowstone with my 17-40L and 5D MK II at 28mm. I was on a boardwalk and could not move back, so a wide, but not superwide was needed.

1002615545_EJxLy-L.jpg

Old Faithful at 70mm /5D MK II. I had to back way off with my 70-200mm f/4 L, a wider lens should have been used.

1066639340_XA3b6-L.jpg

Upvote 0
dtaylor said:
GoldenEagle said:
If you are intent on parting with some $$$, then I'm not sure the 10-22 or Tokina will get you the image quality you may want, if you're used to L lenses.

The 10-22 is at least as good as the 17-40L. The Tokina 11-16 is better, the crop equivalent of the 16-35L II in terms of IQ.

I'm curious regarding your opinion of the Tokina. I trialed 4 different copies of this lens and all 4 had terrible CA. I ended up with the Canon 10-22mm which has very little CA.
Diane

Upvote 0
erda said:
So I was in the local store today and was contemplating spending some money!
Am planning a trip through Yellowstone and Colorado by motorcycle this summer and was thinking that I'm missing an ultra-wide angle lens. Was thinking about either the Canon 10-22 or the Tokina 11-16. Then I got "squirrelled" by cameras. My simple logic was: spend money on a lens, but still have the 'old' camera, or buy a new camera that would allow my current glass to provide me the ultra-wide range. So looked at the new 5D mark ii and also a used 1D mark iii.
Any suggestions or advice?

Currently: 30D; 17-40L; 70-200L f4

My 2 cents for what it's worth: I first saw the header and didn't realize you were not talking about the 1DsIII in which case I'd have said that they are almost the same camera in different form factors according to different use. But a 1DIII? Nah, not really. And it's my personal philosophy that I don't buy used camera gear from the digital age. People are way too trigger happy these days and things are a lot more sensitive and flimsy than they used to be.

So now what? I have a 5DII and love it. But I won't buy any replacement for it until it falls apart. More or better lenses? Flashes? Gizmos? Sure. But cameras only as a replacement when the old stuff doesn't work anymore (or if you really need a backup or so). As long as your 30D still works I see no reason for a change.

But that being said: the 5DII is probably -and will remain- one of the best cameras ever. Perfect balance between quality, features, price, etc. I have yet to see any replacement (5DIII or whatever it's going to be) that would be better or even as good. By looking at the 1Dx as a replacement for the 1DsIII I am concerned that the future may not be quite as bright and that I'll be kicking myself for not buying a second 5DII as a new and (relatively) affordable camera at the moment just to put one away for later. Yes, I find it that good (I didn't say absolutely perfect; no such thing).

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Since you are on a motorcycle, why not look at smaller cameras? There are a number of small mirrorless cameras on the market that would be a lot easier to take on a cycle.
Not sure that what I've seen so far in that category really impresses too much-sensor size and IQ. Are there any ultra-wides available?
Great photos! Can't wait to have a go myself.

Upvote 0
i would say take the 5d mk2 over the 1d mk3 for the following reasons

smaller form factor
Full frame benefits
if you crop the 5d mk2 image to 1.3 crop you get 10mp anyway so same res as the 1dmk3
about a stop better high iso

the only thing better in the 1dmk3 is weather sealing and good AF (assuming you get a late model that didnt have AF problems)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

erda said:
briansquibb said:
On my bike tour in France last summer I took the 5DII, 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 + 1.4. Fitted easily in the top box.
Any photos on how you had it packed? Did you use a camera bag/case inside?

My camera bag was put in the top box on top of the T shirts laid flat underneath (to stop vibration getting through. Top box is a 50l Givi. Means that when the camera bag is taken out there is room for my full face in the box.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
wickidwombat said:
i would say take the 5d mk2 over the 1d mk3 for the following reasons

smaller form factor
Full frame benefits
if you crop the 5d mk2 image to 1.3 crop you get 10mp anyway so same res as the 1dmk3
about a stop better high iso

the only thing better in the 1dmk3 is weather sealing and good AF (assuming you get a late model that didnt have AF problems)

..and more than twice the framerate, plus all the good stuff to customize. Can't remember if the mkIII had it, but one function I can't live without in the mk4 is the ability to set upper and lower limit of shutterspeed. The only way to shoot concerts.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
briansquibb said:
Viggo said:
.... but one function I can't live without in the mk4 is the ability to set upper and lower limit of shutterspeed. The only way to shoot concerts.

Manual mode plus auto iso is another way to do this - not possible on the 5DII due to the iso locking at 400

That doesn't get you any faster shutterspeeds... That just gives you the set speed with different noise.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Viggo said:
briansquibb said:
Viggo said:
.... but one function I can't live without in the mk4 is the ability to set upper and lower limit of shutterspeed. The only way to shoot concerts.

Manual mode plus auto iso is another way to do this - not possible on the 5DII due to the iso locking at 400

That doesn't get you any faster shutterspeeds... That just gives you the set speed with different noise.

I was putting this as an advantage for the mkIII

The shutterspeed is down to you this way, the camera will expose accordingly

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.