5D Mark III [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
niko said:
I am not saying that Canon would be (or should be) abandoning completely the ISO and DR (sensor) improvements, and we probably will see improvement in both areas, but that is probably not the greatest selling point.

Not the greatest selling point for whom?

They may not realize it, but even for the theoretical "video only" user, sensor improvements will probably benefit them greater than any other single area.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
bvukich said:
niko said:
I am not saying that Canon would be (or should be) abandoning completely the ISO and DR (sensor) improvements, and we probably will see improvement in both areas, but that is probably not the greatest selling point.

They may not realize it, but even for the theoretical "video only" user, sensor improvements will probably benefit them greater than any other single area.

The reason I bought the 5D MK II was the low light performance and reasonable pixel density. Certainly all the features are important, and everyone buys for a different reason or combination of reasons.

The only thing that would make me want to upgrade my 5D MK II would be noticibly better ISO and DR. if everything else remained the same, I'd upgrade.

Upvote 0
N

niko

scalesusa said:
bvukich said:
niko said:

The reason I bought the 5D MK II was the low light performance and reasonable pixel density. Certainly all the features are important, and everyone buys for a different reason or combination of reasons.

The only thing that would make me want to upgrade my 5D MK II would be noticibly better ISO and DR. if everything else remained the same, I'd upgrade.

My point was that sometimes there are very large expectations for the 5D, which will probably never materialize, certainly it will not be a "Lord of Darkness" and will not offer MF DR (nor does it need to).

The 5d appeals to a large user base - which is perhaps its greatest selling point, and my expectation for the next gen camera is to offer greater improvements to the video oriented user, while offering smaller improvements to the stills user (since the camera is already very good in this category).

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
niko said:
My point was that sometimes there are very large expectations for the 5D, which will probably never materialize, certainly it will not be a "Lord of Darkness" and will not offer MF DR (nor does it need to).

The 5d appeals to a large user base - which is perhaps its greatest selling point, and my expectation for the next gen camera is to offer greater improvements to the video oriented user, while offering smaller improvements to the stills user (since the camera is already very good in this category).

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I hope there are improvements in video features like adding usable autofocus, but I don't really expect it. I do expect improved DR and ISO, and perhaps a slightly higher pixel count. I also expect 7D type autofocus.

Upvote 0
Peerke said:
Than the Steven Spielbergs came with extra wishes for video. Higher FPS, better AF etc.
[...]
Nice for our friends, the Spielbergs, but for my part, Canon could better spend that research on higher DR and low noise performance.
No Spielberg will use AF when filming.
But: Spielberg would be glad about higher DR and better low light performance. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.