5D Mark III Firmware Update Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the process of updating with most recent firmware 1.1.3, the 5D Mark III I was using encountered a strange problem:
The firmware update would fail after reaching a certain amount of percentage of completion (avg. 52%), and would disable the camera from any other functions. I would not be able to use any function except for the automatic firmware update screen that would be displayed. I tried mounting a lens, pressed all buttons, but nothing would work. There wasn't a solution on the Canon website.

Even with several fully-charged batteries, several formatted CF/SD cards, the firmware update would still encounter an error. I even tried re-updating to the 1.1.2 version, but it still wouldn't work.

After almost an hour I finally found a solution:
From of an "ah, why in the world not?" idea, just for the sake of doing it, I used the BG-E11 with two batteries, and the update went all the way to 100% and completed.

Now, I have no idea why this would happen, but has this phenomenon happened to any other 5D Mark III bodies out there?

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd be concerned that your camera is drawing more power than it should. If battery life is short, i'd heve it checked at Canon while still new.
Since you have already tried different batteries and cards, those are ruled out.

I didn't think about it from that perspective. The camera seems to be using up battery power normally, but I will check it just in case. Thank you for the idea.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic as well. It seems that this is a rare case.

Upvote 0
scotty512 said:
i couldnt even find the update on the canon website so I am really confused!

On Canon's main page, top left, click on 'Consumer & Home Office', then pick 'Service & Support', then 'Support & Drivers'. From here (1) pick EOS (SLR) Camera Systems, (2) EOS Digital SLR Cameras, (3) 5D Mark III. At the 5D Mark III screen choose 'Drivers & Software', then select your operating system and version, pick 'Firmware' and click on version 1.1.3. Easy as pie. ;)

Upvote 0
I had a different problem: I had put the firmware file on the CF-card, but had a SD-card in the camera as well. As soon as I chose update from the menu, before even being asked which file to use, the camera appeard to freeze. After taking the battery and cards out, it eventually returned to normal state and I could continue using it, but, of course, I had to try again. In about the 5th try, I found the solution:

The camera seemed to be looking for the firmware on my SD-card. When I tried upgrading from the CF-card, without the SD-card present, the upgrade procedure ran straight through as expected, no problems!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.