5D, Mark III: In-Camera HDR and Compositing

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanyasi

As I understand it and have seen in some samples, the new Mark III allows in-camera HDR and compositing (e.g., capturing multiple shots of people in motion in one image). I am curious, do the files on which these images are based merge into the final image, or does each individual file remain intact, so, for example, if you don't like the camera's implementation of HDR or compositing you still have files to use in Photoshop or an HDR program?

Thank you for any information.

Jul 21, 2010
All of the above. You're talking about two distinct features - multi-exposure (superimposing images) and HDR (blending images, and sorry, yes - I'm intentionally simplifying). In both cases, you can set the camera to save the source images and the final image, or just the final image. There are some caveats, such as if you've set sRAW format and shoot a multi-exposure, the images will be saved as full RAW, not sRAW.

Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
All of the above. You're talking about two distinct features - multi-exposure (superimposing images) and HDR (blending images, and sorry, yes - I'm intentionally simplifying). In both cases, you can set the camera to save the source images and the final image, or just the final image. There are some caveats, such as if you've set sRAW format and shoot a multi-exposure, the images will be saved as full RAW, not sRAW.

This is good news, but how do you know this about sRAW vs RAW? Would expect to learn this from user's guide, but it's not yet on the Canon website. Did you read review that discusses this? If so, would you provide the link? Thanks

Upvote 0
M

MazV-L

neuroanatomist said:
8) 8) 8) This is a feature of the 5diii I'm keen to experiment with :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fotoray said:
neuroanatomist said:

This is good news, but how do you know this about sRAW vs RAW? Would expect to learn this from user's guide, but it's not yet on the Canon website. Did you read review that discusses this? If so, would you provide the link? Thanks

It was in reference to the 1D X (link), but I assume it will be the same on the 5DIII:

Multiple exposures are possible in most Image Quality settings, with the exception of M-RAW and S-RAW (the two reduced-resolution RAW options). If these happen to be active when a user begins multi-exposure shooting with the EOS-1D X, the camera will process the finished multiple-exposure image into a full-resolution RAW file. RAW + JPEG shooting is possible, too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
noxious_nasties said:
I was under the impression that the 5diii only allowed hdr from jpeg images.
Can someone confirm/reject this?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Features

Expanding Creativity, Simply.
New High Dynamic Range (HDR)

With its new High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode, the EOS 5D Mark III can merge 3 images of varying exposure, in camera, capturing a broad range of shadow and highlight detail and delivering an image with stunning tonal range. Adjustable to cover a range of ±3 stops, and with 5 different effect settings, HDR recording truly expands the parameters of the light and dark detail a camera can actually record, surprising viewers with the range of tones a photograph can accurately recreate.

Multiple Exposure Control

The EOS 5D Mark III offers a new multiple exposure mode for film-like image creation with the convenience of in-camera processing. It offers 4 different compositing methods for proper exposure and composition: additive, average, bright and dark. Multiple exposure shots can be taken in both RAW and JPEG shooting modes, previously captured RAW images can be used as a starting point, and cumulative results can be observed and corrected in real time on the camera's LCD screen. For multiple exposure captures of quickly moving subjects, the EOS 5D Mark III even has a specific continuous shooting multiple exposure mode.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Let me ask again: are the HDR 3-5 separate shots taken during ONE SINGLE "mirror up" - stage just by re-reading the sensor or by 3-5 mirror movements (sorry, this may sound dumb but to me option 1 means hand-held HDR and option 2 means tripod-based HDR: a huge difference in speed and practicability.
If the one-shot HDR is possible, why are we talking about DR of the sensor at all ???

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
wickidwombat said:
its interesting if it produces a RAW image, most in camera HDR to date have just been jpg only

I don't think any set of blended images could be considered RAW. They may be able to mix and match pixel levels from multiple exposures and pakage it in an otherwise unprocessed CR2 format though. That would be incredibly cool.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
wickidwombat said:
its interesting if it produces a RAW image, most in camera HDR to date have just been jpg only

I don't think any set of blended images could be considered RAW. They may be able to mix and match pixel levels from multiple exposures and pakage it in an otherwise unprocessed CR2 format though. That would be incredibly cool.

yep it would be cool.
However the problem is the camera decides where the point it transitions the exposures which might create some strange things. I dont know just guessing here. I'm just not sure how this would be implemented. I cant wait to get mine to have a look at it though.
I definately dont want some horrible in camera tone mapping function. leave that sort of gimmick to point and shoots.

Upvote 0
Y

YellowJersey

MazV-L said:

Me too. I have a funny relationship with HDR... I like it, but it doesn't seem to like me very much. The funny thing is that every time I do a series of test shots (say, of my front yard) the HDR works beautifully. Whenever I try to do a serious HDR shot it always turns out terrible. I think photomatix is trolling me.

Upvote 0
YellowJersey said:
MazV-L said:

Me too. I have a funny relationship with HDR... I like it, but it doesn't seem to like me very much. The funny thing is that every time I do a series of test shots (say, of my front yard) the HDR works beautifully. Whenever I try to do a serious HDR shot it always turns out terrible. I think photomatix is trolling me.
I've posted this alot
http://goodlight.us/
have a look at this guys tutorials his method kills the trash compacting softwarelike photomatix etc
I'll be honest first time you read through its intimidating but he sells his actions for $20 which is nothing really but he also teaches you how to make your own if you dont want to buy them. It takes a few rea throughs to get the concepts of what he is doing but the benfits as I see it are
- you have total control over the blending of exposure at various places of the tonal range and image. so you can leave certain shadow areas if you choose for effect, this makes the image seem less flat and cartoon like
more real.
- its self feathering so you dont have to be super precise with your brush strokes
- its totally clean no loss of image quality and softening of the image giving that fuzzy look, halos,
- no introduced noise (photomatix is appaling for this, take clean iso 100 images and after processing it has more noise than iso 3200 native
- more control over colours tones and contrast. I hate the oversaturation that most cookie cutter software excretes.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.