5D Mark III Manual Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Nice. It looks like they do listen after all. It appears as if the histogram is now outlined again so we will be able to see where it ends when shooting outdoors with the sun shining!

I noticed that too. I'll enjoy that. My 7D doesn't have the right vertical edge; makes it real tough to find the white point.

Manual is huge!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2012
I'm very upset about seeing that metering is done in the center and not linked to the AF point.
What's the point with a faster AF if I have to focus and recompose again?!
Why Canon has to do it everytime and let me with a bad taste.
First the 24-70, now the 5D.
Hate you Canon!

Nikon does seem to play a fair game for a few years. They put in their bodies everything they know. The proffesionals before the marketing.

Upvote 0
kpk1 said:
I'm very upset about seeing that metering is done in the center and not linked to the AF point.

This should vary depending on metering mode. In evaluative metering, there should be a link between AF and exposure. In other modes, no. If this isn't true for the 5D3 then that is a departure—but I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Can you provide a quote from the manual?

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
It's interesting that my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM can only use a single double-cross AF point (group B lens), and that my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM can't use *any* double-cross AF points (group C lens). Both of these are fairly recent EOS lenses, and I was led to believe that the five centre double-cross AF points were usable with f/2.8 or wider maximum-aperture lenses.

For the case of the macro - it must be due to the really close focusing distances. Still, it should enable group A functionality from 0.5-infinity, and group C from 0.3-0.5, but I guess it defaults to the lowest common denominator. Since I don't shoot sports or track subjects with this lens, it's a moot point really.

For the case of the 24-70, I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse zoom mechanism has something to do with making it a group B lens and not a group A lens. Unfortunately the 5DIII manual doesn't mention what group the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens is in, although I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a group A lens. Since I'll be upgrading to the version II lens, I can live with this. I do use this lens for some sports work (on the second body) so it's important to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
t.linn said:
kpk1 said:

This should vary depending on metering mode. In evaluative metering, there should be a link between AF and exposure. In other modes, no. If this isn't true for the 5D3 then that is a departure—but I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Can you provide a quote from the manual?

Evaluative metering is weighted toward the selected AF point(s), whether manually or automatically selected. Partial and spot are at the center on the 5DIII. But...the 1D X (like previous 1-series bodies), spot metering can be linked to a manually selected AF point - that's what kpk1 is referring to, and to be honest it's a great feature.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.