5D Mark III & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

airdima

the least i would expect in 5D III is improved focus system coupled with 7D weather sealing
i dont think that pushing the sensor resolution further is a good idea. better concentrate on noise reduction that would get canon in line with nikon flagships (at the very least)
also, wireless flash control would be VERY nice to have

either way, i dont see myself upgrading from my 5DII right away, as for now it works fine for roughly 95% of my needs

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010
All this talk about noise reduction, what is this? Is it only about reducing noise in camera JPEGs? To me that is next to meaningless, I shoot RAW only and rely on noise reduction in RAW development software. However, read noise reduction at low ISO would be welcome to me. But is there much you can do at high ISO any longer? Read noise at high ISO seems low to me already on the newest sensors. Isn't nearly all noise in typical high ISO pictures just unavoidable photon shot noise?

And as far as I've understood there's no law of physics that says that larger pixels will lead to less noise, so you could combine high megapixel count with low noise, historically it has indeed been tough, but it seems to me that with newer sensors the problem has become smaller and smaller. A higher resolution picture will of course look more noisy at 100% crop due to more photon shot noise per pixel, but when averaged/binned it's the same as for larger pixels. If you're only going to shoot high ISO I guess it makes little sense to have high megapixel count since you'd want to average/bin them anyway for noise reduction. However, I guess for many of us that do 90% of the photos at minimum ISO, a large pixel count is welcome, resolution is indeed a key aspect of image quality.

One aspect that I'm a bit unsure of is the quantum efficiency, perhaps there's stuff to do in that part? QE = how many of the incoming photons that actually become registered by the sensor. If that can be significantly increased, there will be a true improvement for low light shooting. I've heard that it's around 40% of today's sensors, not sure if it's correct though. If it is, there's ~1 stop improvement to do there.

Upvote 0
J

J-Man

In body jpg are useless to me, way too easy to blow highlights, the noise reduction I'm referring to is everything from the sensor, through the signal amps, the AD conversion, and then signal processing(de-Bayer).
Any improvement in noise reduction is welcome, any banding is unforgivable.

The size of the pixels are becoming less of an issue with each generation, I'm more concerned with the balance that Canon has been choosing the last few generations of sensors between pixel density and per pixel noise, the 1DsII & 5D were the last of the conservative designs IMO.

canon 60d seen in the wild: August 11, 2010
canon 60d released: August 25, 2010

That could be an early production sample test, vs a release candidate test, very different in terms of how long to maket.

Upvote 0
traveller said:
I can see that Canon is paranoid that raising the bar with the 5D MkIII too high may poach sales of the 1D series, but the questions they should be asking themselves are where are Nikon going with the D800 and what will Sony next move with full frame be?

Why should Canon be paranoid ? Make no sense ! Nikon provides the same focus and metering on all their pro cameras (D300S, D700, D3S and D3X) and seem to have no "poaching" problem. Crippled is a word seldom seen on Nikon forums.

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

c.d.embrey said:
traveller said:
I can see that Canon is paranoid that raising the bar with the 5D MkIII too high may poach sales of the 1D series, but the questions they should be asking themselves are where are Nikon going with the D800 and what will Sony next move with full frame be?

Why should Canon be paranoid ? Make no sense ! Nikon provides the same focus and metering on all their pro cameras (D300S, D700, D3S and D3X) and seem to have no "poaching" problem. Crippled is a word seldom seen on Nikon forums.
moreover if we are to believe the latest rumors the 1D series is merging and there will be no more APS-H sensors.

For professionals Canon would have:
1D mk5 - weather-sealed, excellent fps, full-frame, 45 pts AF
5D mk3 - not weather-sealed, decent fps, full-frame, 19 pts AF
7D - not weather-sealed, excellent fps, APS-C, 19 pts AF

Currently Canon is selling 5 cameras in that range (4 active models) so the distinctions were a little fuzzier for consumers who wanted a bigger sensor than an APS-C. Retrenching that back down to three professional grade cameras should help them focus their efforts more on making better cameras and meeting the needs of those distinct markets.

Upvote 0
P

Panurus

thejoyofsobe said:
c.d.embrey said:
traveller said:

moreover if we are to believe the latest rumors the 1D series is merging and there will be no more APS-H sensors.

For professionals Canon would have:
1D mk5 - weather-sealed, excellent fps, full-frame, 45 pts AF
5D mk3 - not weather-sealed, decent fps, full-frame, 19 pts AF

Currently Canon is selling 5 cameras in that range (4 active models) so the distinctions were a little fuzzier for consumers who wanted a bigger sensor than an APS-C. Retrenching that back down to three professional grade cameras should help them focus their efforts more on making better cameras and meeting the needs of those distinct markets.

A 1DS with 10fps, why not. I can dream to use it and I will by it for different use that my 1DmkIV.

Which is the difficulty for Canon to place an APS-H captor in the 1Ds body? None.
The Canon APS-H CMOS 120 M pixels (13280 x 9184) looks like the future of the 1D line.
The main part of the job is already done.

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

neuroanatomist said:
thejoyofsobe said:

Canon disagrees.

[quote author=Canon USA website, 7D overview]
The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles.
[/quote]resistant <> sealed

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vq2m
"The 7D is not a weather sealed camera. It should not under any
circumstance get wet. It may survive some rain, however, there are no
guarantees. If you need a camera with weather seals you should look
into our EOS 1 series cameras."

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
thejoyofsobe said:
neuroanatomist said:
thejoyofsobe said:

Canon disagrees.

The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles.
resistant <> sealed

[/quote]

http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

Upvote 0
EYEONE said:
thejoyofsobe said:
neuroanatomist said:
thejoyofsobe said:

Canon disagrees.

resistant <> sealed

http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/
[/quote]

In one of those pics, a seal is about to bite a tripod! Awesome shot. And great review. Anyone saying the 7D isn't weather sealed after reading this is out of their minds!

Edit: After reading the comments, however, I might be out of MY mind! Some mixed results, it seems.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
thejoyofsobe said:
neuroanatomist said:
thejoyofsobe said:

Canon disagrees.

resistant <> sealed

[/quote]

From the same link you posted, also stated in Canon's response: "The EOS 1 series cameras and certain L series lenses do offer weather seals. These seals do not make the equipment water resistant or water proof. "

If you look Features sections for bodies on Canon's website, they use the same language for the sealing on the 1D IV and the 7D: "...exclusive dust and weather resistance." Certainly, the sealing on the 1-series is better. But, if Canon supposedly stated (in a response from someone in their email support department) that the 7D does not have weather sealing, why does Canon publish a graphic showing the sealing of the 7D?

7d_feature_08a.jpg

The 7D is not a 1-series body, no one is claiming that (at least, I'm not). But to state that 7D is not weather-sealed is misleading, IMO.

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

i've seen the Antarctic post before but I've also read other anecdotes of people killing their 7D body in non-torrential rainfall (and it wasn't because of an unsealed lens but lack of gaskets) only to have Canon service say tough luck the camera is not weather sealed. the 7D's resistance to weather is better than the XXD series but it's not the kind of camera which can dependably handle a certain level of abuse like the 1D series. that's fine because the majority of people don't need that level of ruggedness, hence why i used weather-sealing as a way to distinguish the bodies above.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

Hmm - nikon rumors recently posted that the D800 release has been delayed till October due to Japan disaster. Seems like the two cameras will likely come out around the same time so neither will be able to argue that the other manufacture has 'had more time' or the technology is 'newer' and they are both going to be direct competitors. Seems like the true 'battle of the cameras' is yet to come.

Who has the true 'industry leading' noise handling (or reduction).

Time will tell...

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

As much as I hate to admit it, I think the 2 May Northlight Images rumor is correct. The "1Ds3 replacement" (perhaps better called the "new professional FF body") won't appear until August and the 5D3 won't appear until next year. Tsunami damage to the supply chain was just too great and everything has been shoved back 6 months. Anything before that is just a pleasant surprise

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.