5D Mark III phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My newly acquired 5D Mark III does something that I find really odd.

When I have occasion to remove the CF card for any reason and re-insert it, the camera switches to the SD card. It does this even when the camera has been turned off. My 1D Mark IV will do this, but only if the camera is left on when the CF card is removed, and never when turned off. This can be really a pain in the butt if I'm not paying attention or forget to check before I start shooting again.

Both cards are set in the camera to 'Standard' mode, not to switch or record to both.

I've looked through the manual but can find no mention of this. Am I missing a setting somewhere? This is really annoying.

Jul 21, 2010
There have been a few discussions on this, and the behavior is normal. The workaround is to not close the card slot door - open the door, pull a card, insert a new card, then close the door. When you close the card door, even with the camera 'off' you'll notice that the card activity light flashes. It's set as the default behavior to avoid recording to an empty slot. My 1D X does the same thing.

If this is happening without closing the card door, that's not normal AFAIK.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Random Orbits said:
I tend to remove the card to transfer files rather than using the camera/usb cable connection, so it happens a lot.

So do I, I just swap in another card at the same time. Since the 1D X has dual CF, I write RAW to both simultaneously. I have three 32 GB 90 Mb/s cards, after a shoot I swap out the Slot 1 card with the one from the previous shoot, and the Slot 2 card stays in as a backup until it gets full.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:
I tend to remove the card to transfer files rather than using the camera/usb cable connection, so it happens a lot.

So do I, I just swap in another card at the same time. Since the 1D X has dual CF, I write RAW to both simultaneously. I have three 32 GB 90 Mb/s cards, after a shoot I swap out the Slot 1 card with the one from the previous shoot, and the Slot 2 card stays in as a backup until it gets full.

Thanks for the idea! I'll have to get a few more CF cards of the same capacity to make it work effectively.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

It's good to hear that this is normal behavior and I'm not just being my dumb old self or have something wrong with the camera. However.... it is still annoying.

I generally pull all my cards out after a shoot to upload to the computer and replace them when that is done. As such, I usually close the card door. I'll have to get in the habit of leaving it open until I replace the card.

Happy shooting,
Harv

Upvote 0

r4e

I prefer underwater videography
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
www.vimeo.com
Harv said:
I generally pull all my cards out after a shoot to upload to the computer and replace them when that is done. As such, I usually close the card door. I'll have to get in the habit of leaving it open until I replace the card.
How about removing the battery first? You still need to charge the battery between shoots so why not remove it first and place it back after you replace the CF card.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.