5D Mark III sharpness or focus lock

May 12, 2015
I notice when I am shooting with my 5D Mark III, that it lacks sharpness at times. I am not sure if it is where it is locking (location of the object front vs back object, but it seems to persist even when I open the f stop to increase the depth of field). When I focus manually I can get a sharp image at the same setting.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you.

Mar 25, 2011
Are you shooting using the Green Box? If so, the camera usually will pick the closest subject to focus on, but it might also go for a high contrast subject.

Review the photos that have the issue and see where the camera focused. DPP will show the focus point.

If you set a specific focus point, there is still a tolerance for the camera to pickup a high contrast subject near the point, but it will be uncommon.

If you provide your camera settings, we can give specific advice, but its just a guess right now.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neurorx said:
It seems to occur in lower light situation like indoor shots or shade....shooting at ISOs above 5600-6400. Typically it is with people photo's.

Show some examples with settings, there is a lot of possibilities. For example, using one shot mode for a close portrait can be oof if you lean forward or backward as you press the shutter. This happens to some.

If you use AI-Servo, the camera will adjust the focus up to a point, but --- It will also let you close the shutter before focus is reached.

For a still portrait, use one shot, do not focus and recompose, and make it a point to not lean as you close the shutter.

There are a lot of possibilities like this, so provide information, and better help will be forthcoming. Post photos and give the camera, lens, focal length, shutter speed, aperture distance to subject, camera settings such as which focus points are active, and 1 shot or AI servo, those will help users to give you a better idea as to what may be happening.

Some lenses are inconsistent, or a damaged lens may act up as well. You can get a idea as to lens issues by focusing on infinity, then on a relatively close object taking photos at each focal length. Do this 10 times (20 photos). If the results are wildly all over the place, try with a different lens. If there is no issue with a different lens, this points to a problem lens. If its still not reasonably consistent, look for a camera issue.

Upvote 0