Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>The first spec list</strong>

I am not going to post every spec list I see from anonymous sources. However, it’s slow going at the moment. There’s also a couple of interesting concepts in this list.</p>
<p>It could be a wishlist, it could be legit. Discuss!</p>
<p><strong>Specifications (Japanese to English Google Translated)

</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>28megapixel CMOS sensor. Achieved by introducing new technologies such as low-noise photodiode</li>
<li>Sensor Size 36.0 × 24.0mm 1.0x</li>
<li>Wide low-noise ISO sensitivity ISO100 ~ 12800 (extension L: 50, H1: 25600, H2: 51200, H3: 102400)</li>
<li>The six frames * Dual DIGIC4 / s provides continuous shooting</li>
<li>98 percent of the viewfinder field of view, magnification 0.71 times. With the electronic level</li>
<li>A high-speed AF system. Double Cross Centre, Cross assists 19 points – 26 points. 5 AF point selection mode, types of automatic. Advanced AI Servo AF</li>
<li>63-segment metering. 1920 × 1080 30/25/24 frame Video</li>
<li>Crop video feature. 10X SD, HD four times, three times in full HD.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://toki.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/dcamera/1286941482/l50">2ch</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Jul 21, 2010
I don't see 6 fps and more AF points that the 7D in a 5DIII. Other than that, there's no news here. Of course it will have more megapixels and a wider ISO range, because that's the norm. Of course it will have 1080p. Of course it will have the 63 zone iFCL metering. Ok, the electronic level is new to the line, but it's in the 7D and 60D so again, it's obvious. Video cropping is about the only thing of note. Woot.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
the approximately 28 MP makes sense, roughly making it the same pixel-sensor density as the 1D Mark IV. I also highly doubt it's coming with a fancier AF system than the 7D ... 6 FPS would be nice but also a stretch, it'd be more likely to haul the same 5 FPS that the 60D does.

the question is, as the 5D Mark II is really the go-to camera for video shooters, is Canon going to bring the articulated screen to the 5DIII? honestly, even though I play with video, I couldn't care less for an articulated screen, but it seems like its not beyond reason.

I am also assuming that there will be 720p 60/50 available, not just the 1080p modes ... it'd be awesome to see some really slow-mo stuff ... how about a 72p 72 frame rate mode? that would be something pretty special that would make the 5DIII stand out against the competition

Upvote 0
B

blufox

I didn't understand the autofocus points spec.Can someone please explain it to me?

0.71 magnification :(, Canon please increase it to somewhere close to .9x.

2 thing worth noting are - No DIGIC V. Dual Digic 4 processors but still 6 fps. What is it that requires another DIGIC processor now?

Time to put on hold that elusive 7D upgrade.

Whatever it is, it is too late to switch to Noink lol.

Once a Canon shooter, always a Canon shooter :p

Upvote 0
W

Waleed Essam

The most interesting thing is probably the "low-noise photo diode" thing... Canon seriously need new sensor technologies to keep up with competition.

The 7D still holds up well against new crop cameras, but you need to apply NR and resize etc... Canon needs to be ahead of everyone again without all the processing the users have to go through. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my 7D, but I'm expecting the D700 successor to be on par with D3s in noise or maybe slightly slightly behind it.

The Improved AF is expected, how much improved, time will tell...

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

It looks like a wish list to me. Actually, it looks like two, maybe even three, wish lists mashed together, one for a lord of darkness camera, Canon's answer to the D700/D3s, and another for a high resolution studio camera. If this camera is introduced before the 1DsMkIV (or a 50MP merged 1DMkV), Canon might as well simultaneously discontinue the 1DsMkIII.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Anastas said:
Also Canon can remove AA filter and fight the moire with software. Or they can leave a very tiny AA filter like the original 5D camera.

How does one make a "tiny" AA filter? Do you mean a "weak" AA filter perhaps? Also, as I understand, MF DSLRs don't use AA filters largely because of cost. Anybody who thinks that aliasing can be well corrected in software simply doesn't understand what aliasing is.

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

The specs actually sound realistic. There are always those who think they might get $8000 features on a low cost camera, it just won't happen. Canon does not let features suddenly upward on a model series, they make incremental changes.

I'd like to see improvement in the Auto and Av settings though. Specifically, the option to change the default shutter speed from 1/focal length to a settable ratio. This would fix the auto ISO as well, since ISO would rise or fall according to the shutter speed ratio, and in effect, be changing the minimum or maximum limits depending on lens focal length used, at least while in auto or Av mode. It might help in Tv mode too, I haven't thought much about it. Right now, I have to use full manual, or set the ISO to get fast shutter speeds in Av mode.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

ronderick said:
oh my... not 2CH... :eek:
Crying, or is that more like wwwww-ing?

Looking at the text ronderick posted...it looks like somebody just made this up.

But if I were to assume it's real...which it isn't:

The specs seem like what I'd expect actually, though the non-100% viewfinder surprises me. I guess it'll still be larger than the 7D's however.

AF doesn't quite seem sports-spec but better than any APS-C DSLR from Canon out at the moment. Metering looks like a big advance with nearly double the number of zones.

DIGIC V isn't proven to exist yet. It might by the time the camera is released, but the whole "Digic IV is a temporary solution" argument was always based in rumor, not fact.

Video framerate selection still seem lousy. 60FPS 1080p maybe is illogical to hope for given the speed of current media, although half-speed SDXC cards can swing 1080p@30fps. Just as important to me is the speed for 720p, which ideally will have 24fps this time...but I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
S

spam

blufox said:
Dual Digic 4 processors but still 6 fps. What is it that requires another DIGIC processor now?

28MP and 6 fps would require 2 digic IV for processing unless the processing speed is increased quite a bit compared to the 7D.

The whole rumor seem more like a wish list though. 6 fps and 7D quality AF would make it were hard to sell the 1D Mk IV, and specs for a camera with a release date almost a year from now wouldn't be fixed for some time yet.

Upvote 0
K

ksinton

Yeah this is not a realistic spec.

1.) I don't see them using the Digic mark 4 again for the 5 series.

2.) I don't see them offering dual processors on the 5d series either. That would make it too close to the 1d series!

3.) The spec mentions digital zoom on the video but how is that going to happen unless Canon offers a new processor (Digic mark 5).

4.) I hope the spec is right about 28mp and very high ISO range is true, if if the rest is BS.

Kim Sinton
http://www.sintonbrothers.com

Upvote 0
Very, very plausible specs - if the 5DIII is scheduled for a Feb 2011 release.
In fact, I was expecting a 5DIII with these spec to be announced at Photokina this year.

The big question, though, is when is the 1DV going to be announced?
It is a possibility that this could happen in Feb 2011, in which case the 5DIII most likely won't be announced in 2011 at all - and won't have these specs either.

CR guy, please ask around for Canon’s plans about the 1DV. ;) ;)
This will tell us a lot about the 5DIII, 7DII, et..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.