- iso up to at least 40000 and be able to clean that of noise like 6D2
- center point -4EV
- increasement of DR at 100 up to 400
- increasement megapixel up to 36mp
- wider spread AF
- at least 8 fps
- lighter body
- keep CF (I still have a lot of those)
- remote cable release in the front (like 6D2)

Upvote 0
candyman said:
My guess - and hope - is
- vari-angle touch screen / like 6D2
- center point -4EV
- wider spread AF
- at least 8 fps
- lighter body

So, barely any increase from the 5D4, and DR and resolution might finally just match a Nikon D800 from early 2012. And I bet they will keep an ancient SD slot too.

And people will defend it saying it's a great camera for $3499

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Mancubus said:
candyman said:
My guess - and hope - is
- center point -4EV
- wider spread AF
- at least 8 fps
- lighter body

So, barely any increase from the 5D4, and DR and resolution might finally just match a Nikon D800 from early 2012. And I bet they will keep an ancient SD slot too.

Well, I am not R&D of Canon. They may come up with more and/or add something new. But, by now you should know Canon.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
2018: 5Ds/5dsR about 71 mp; 7DIII about 28 mp; New 150-500mm f5.6 L announced with 7DIII;

2018 or 2019:Maybe a full-frame mirrorless with same sensor as 5DIV, will use EF lens mount;

2019: 90D with same sensor as 7DIII; One or two new M with same sensor as 7DIII;

2020 or 2021: 1DxIII and 5DV (Way too earlier to know what the specs might be. 1DxIII will come out about six to nine months before the 5DV.

No inside knowledge, just a best guess.

Upvote 0
I'll bite.

I'm guessing rumors in 2019 that will be incorrect, with more correct but opaque rumors in 2020 coming to fruition with a real camera release in 2021, with the following:

New Stuff:
- 40MP
- Disappointingly, 8 FPS (See what they'll do here: increase IQ with MP and keep an inadequate FPS for sports/wildlife so as to protect the 1 series)
- Flippy tilty screen, as the pros will have finally capitulated their weird bias against such screens
- Decent 4k with reasonable codecs
- An improved 1.25 stops of something. This might be low light/high ISO performance, or ISO 100 dynamic range or the like.
- Mode allowing many of the mirrorless features already-then-existing on Canon's FF mirrorless product, such as zebras, focus peaking, high frame rate FPS in liveview, but without AF.

Unchanged:
- Same size and weight, roughly, with pretty much the same interface.
- Price, although adapted to then current exchange rates

X Factors:
- Some new feature that will be interesting, akin to dual pixel AF (huge success) or dual pixel RAW (huge "meh"). This might be a backside illuminated sensor; DP AF information used to inform phase detect in a hybrid focus mode; improved DP Raw feature that uses non-paired pixels to increase the parallax effect, thus making DP RAW actually sometimes useful; etc.
- Some software-based feature that works well with Canon lenses and not third party lenses. This might be auto-MFA or the like.

Market Conditions:
- 30-40 MP will be considered minimum needed resolution for a high quality IQ camera, which will pressure the flagship models to move up in MP faster than the rest of the product lineups. That will, in turn, put pressure on companies to differentiate these models, which will mean a high temptation to nerf the new 5D. Likeliest place to do that is FPS.
- Mirrorless phenomenon will be finally considered a non-relevant issue, as shutter mechanisms will be seen more as a plumbing issue about which real people don't care. In the 5 series, this will be interesting, as it's the most likely camera to be cannabalized by the FF mirrorless offering to come. So there will be pressure to differentiate in a positive way.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mancubus said:

And people will rage on that there are seemingly endless folks who keep spending money such a terrible thing ;D

Actually, I don't care what kind of slot they put in it, as long as there is the ability to buy cheap storage for all the times that I don't need more than 100MB/s.

I think the megapixel count will be higher than 36, only because -- unfortunately -- this is nearly the only metric by which far too many people judge cameras. When I went to my camera shop, the store manager was telling someone how the D850 was a great deal, because you could get nearly as many megapixels as the 5DSR for quite a bit less money.

Now, there are plenty of good reasons to be excited about or to buy a D850, but I don't think that's one of them.

But anyways, since the person was purchasing a $40 Optex tripod, I don't think they're actually in the market for either.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Mancubus said:
candyman said:
My guess - and hope - is
- center point -4EV
- wider spread AF
- at least 8 fps
- lighter body

And it will be a great camera for photographers who actually take photos instead of internet trolls who can read and (barely) understand specs.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
The new Nikon 850 may put pressure on Canon to release the 5D M4 sooner. They may also try to surprise Nikon w/ 1Dx M3 sooner than expected. Though I suspect there are few secrets between Nikon and Canon.

In the 5D M4 I would like to

MP increased to 36
Cfast card
All focus points working at F8
Something new and exciting done with the Dual Pixels sensor. Perhaps have 1 side 4-6 more sensitive than the other side to increase DR

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
BeenThere said:
As we are all guessing here, I will say we have reached the end of the line on the 5D series of SLRs. Replacement will be a capable FF mirrorless.

won't happen quickly. First low end replacement to gauge market reaction and to see how well it works. Too big of a gamble to go quickly.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
RGF said:
The new Nikon 850 may put pressure on Canon to release the 5D M4 sooner....

I seriously doubt it. Neither 5D4 nor D850 buyers are first-time customers. The D850 is nice and will cause some envy among specification-centric Canon owners, but it won't have a real impact on sales. Canon probably has a little more room to lower the price of the 5D4, which would be the first strategy should they feel sales are being eroded. Camera development and production is on a pre-determined timetable anyway, so it's not like Canon can just magically revamp the 5D overnight. Finally, there is the 5DS series to compete with Nikon's higher megapixel count.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
BeenThere said:
As we are all guessing here, I will say we have reached the end of the line on the 5D series of SLRs. Replacement will be a capable FF mirrorless.

As long as the FF mirrorless has a fantastic optical viewfinder that's better than what's in the 5D Mark IV, I'm fine with it. I mean, really, if they can build it without mirrors, I'll be thrilled. 8)

For what it's worth, I give better odds to an extinction sized asteroid hitting Earth in 2018 than Canon's 5D successor being mirrorless.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
unfocused said:
RGF said:

I seriously doubt it. Neither 5D4 nor D850 buyers are first-time customers. The D850 is nice and will cause some envy among specification-centric Canon owners, but it won't have a real impact on sales. Canon probably has a little more room to lower the price of the 5D4, which would be the first strategy should they feel sales are being eroded. Camera development and production is on a pre-determined timetable anyway, so it's not like Canon can just magically revamp the 5D overnight. Finally, there is the 5DS series to compete with Nikon's higher megapixel count.

Not overnight, but they could shift priorities or add resources. Agree Canon will take a wait and see attitude but aside from sales there are "bragging" rights and I believe these are important to Canon. They don't like to be outdone by Nikon so they try to out position Nikon sooner than later.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
RGF said:
unfocused said:
RGF said:

Not overnight, but they could shift priorities or add resources. Agree Canon will take a wait and see attitude but aside from sales there are "bragging" rights and I believe these are important to Canon. They don't like to be outdone by Nikon so they try to out position Nikon sooner than later.

For sure, nobody likes to be outdone, and competition does dictate the timetable and feature release set, to some degree. It's not really any different than Xbox/PlayStation. Whichever your preference, if you're a gamer, you should be thankful that both exist, because as long as there's that competition, the consumer will get better products for better prices.

The Xbox One S would not exist if Microsoft didn't want the bragging rights to most 4k FPS, best 1080p renders, most polygons, etc etc etc, and there's no question the PlayStation helped bring down XB1 prices not long after launch. At the same time, there's no question that XB raised the bar for Sony's online play.

What I'm most surprised about is that there's not much of an equivalent to CPS by other camera vendors. If photography is your bread and butter, CPS is pretty attractive.

Upvote 0
Mancubus said:
candyman said:
My guess - and hope - is
- center point -4EV
- wider spread AF
- at least 8 fps
- lighter body

LOL, EXACTLY. But I hope they learned a lesson from the IV and decide to pull out all thier guns.....and not blank this one.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd be surprised if Canon wait till 2020 for a 5D V.
The 5D IV didn't feel like a major upgrade. It could be well behind by 2020.
The World Cup is 2018.
It will be Interesting if Sony have 500/600mm F4 by then.
They are ahead in frame rate with the A9.
If the had the glass to go with it we'd see more Sony on the sides of the pitches.
I presume there is a limit with a mirror set up on FPS.
I'd expect a new 1DX III followed 6m later by a 5D V.

Upvote 0