5D Mark V wish list

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, maybe 2019 (early 2020?) will be the year a 5D Mark V will be released if there is to be one. While I don't care about video features (many of you do), there are a couple of things I'd like to see since I skipped the Mark IV.

1. Dual CF or Cfast slots.
2. 10 frames per second. (Though I'm single shot 99.9999 % of the time.)
3. 32-34mp.
4. Built in flash transmitter.
5. A couple of more rows of focus points.

The biggest thing for me would be the dual slots and that they match. No SD/CF or CF/ CFast. CF/CF or Cfast/ Cfast would be great.

What would you like to see?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Everyone can dream.

Won't be 2019 for sure.

Won't be two card slots of the same type. Lately it seems like Compact Flash is dying out. I wouldn't be surprised to see SD and CFast.

Won't be 10 fps. Maybe eight.

You might get the 32-34 mp.

A built in RT transmitter is possible, but Id'd say unlikely. It might require too much space and power.

I'd like to see a wider spread of focus points, but some people say that's not possible.

What would I like to see?

Improved autofocus with better face detection.

Illuminated autofocus points (I never would have thought that was important, but using the 5DIV in low light vs. the 1Dx II, I've found it is a big deal.)

Dreaming of, but not expecting, automated AFMA.

Honestly, the 5DIV is darn near perfect in my book, so would be happy with just incremental improvements.

Upvote 0
My small, modest wish list:

0) I want a touch screen that lets me choose AF point with my thumb while I'm looking through the viewfinder, just like the M5. If the 5D5 gave me JUST this, I'd upgrade. Yes, I understand this is essentially a mirrorless feature, and I'm OK with that.
1) That it come in 2020, which would be a reasonable yet slow release schedule for evolving technology
2) 10+ fps
3) Better tracking of small objects in frame. As it is now, no matter my settings, I can't get a Canon camera to really lock on an object once it hits a busy background. I think this is partly because the objects I'm tracking are rather small in the frame (usually about the size of a single AF point as it is displayed in the viewfinder)
4) Auto AFMA. This was brought home to me when Canon CPS sent me back my repaired (for free, post warrantee) 5D4 and I had to do it all over again as it had been reset
5) 38-45 mp *or* a 1/2 stop improvement in high ISO IQ in low light, or some compromise of both benefits to a proportional, smaller degree.
6) Even if it does come with a mirror (don't care either way), I'd like an EVF that allows focus peaking, zebras, yada yada
7) An intervalometer feature that wasn't programmed by a third grade class. It would be a couple hundred lines of code to give us features like bramping, multiple schedules to save battery, etc. It's not like Canon's own crazy expensive hardware intervalometer has these anyway, so it's not like this would add to any sales cannibalization.
8) Stop being hinky about the interface to outside controllers via the USB port so that applications like FOCAL can fully automate its AFMA process, etc. More interoperability is a good thing for everyone.
9) Make Dual Pixel stuff useful. In the least, grab the extra stop of DR by employing the extra data. Another must: give an option for the DPRaw format to be translated in camera to a normal raw. Making necessary the use of Canon's own image software on the computer is death to any feature, no matter how cool.
10) Add the dimension of distance to subject in AFMA process, like Tamron and Sigma do. Ok, don't do that if you don't automate AFMA, but if you're going to automate AFMA, this would be enormously desirable, making some meh lenses into peaches.
11) Persistent auto connect to Canon's own Ivy printers, designated mobile devices, etc. It is not at all reasonable to expect people to manually reconnect every time a device sleeps, etc. I don't care if it's bluetooth, NFC, wifi or telepathy. Just make it persistent. As part of that, provide a mode for auto-offloading of RAWs during a shoot, even if bandwidth makes it take a while to catch up.
12) Integration with Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Mobile. I want my phone to be an automatic conduit to my library at home.
13) Dual CFast (necessary with 10x60mb files per second)
14) A buffer that will take at least 20 seconds of maximum FPS in RAW. That translates (given suggested FPS and MP ratings) to about 12gb of cache, assuming only half of amount is needed in hardware, as the time to fill the cache once will be the time needed to free 50 percent of it, etc.
15) A leap. Something. Surprise me. Make it so that we nod and say, yes, Canon still puts out a camera better than all others, at least for a brief time before it is overtaken by an overly-long development cycle.

I'm pretty confident other vendors will be offering equivalents to most of these things, even though some are unlikely for all vendors (Lightroom integration). Dual pixel stuff would of course just be available to Canon. As it is now, the D850 offers almost half of the above. I don't think that Canon can do one of those "all new" sensors with the same megapixels, +1 fps, add a new button and add three software features and call it a major release that keeps the 5 series in the same class as the Nikon D8xx series for the Sony A7R series. To do that sort of upgrade would degrade its class.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
my two cents, esp. when you look at the D850 (although a lot was already mentioned):

• Sensor with (much) better but not more pixels (although I could live with up to 36 MP)
    Improved high ISO performance, better/lower noise
    (if low ISO noise is improved as well, I'd take it, too ;) )
  • More fps, maybe 10 or 11
  • Improved AF, wider spread of AF points, maybe more (if possible)
  • Better low light AF (maybe LW -4 to -5)
  • Auto AFMA
  • Lower battery consumption than the 5D4
  • Flash sync at 1/250
  • Dual card slot of the same type, whatever Canon decides
    (I don't understand why this feature is reserved for the 1D line)
  • A reasonable rise in price, better stay where it is.
    But nothing like they did with the 5D4

I skipped the 5D4 because I couldn't see enough IQ improvement (I know others think different).
Give me at least noticeably better IQ and some smaller tweaks at a reasonable price.
Then this time I'm in.

By the way: I'd expect a 5D5 in fall 2020.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
  • AF that will focus on the eyes when the face is large enough in frame. The mkIV already has face AF. Make it eye AF.
  • Faster shutter for faster flash sync speed and less jello on rotating subjects
  • Tilty-flip screen
  • Faster connection to phone app
  • Faster GPS lock, perhaps with the help of a bluetooth connection to a phone. Would allow for turning GPS off in standby without losing geo tag

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
CanonFanBoy said:
Well, maybe 2019 (early 2020?) will be the year a 5D Mark V will be released if there is to be one. While I don't care about video features (many of you do), there are a couple of things I'd like to see since I skipped the Mark IV.

1. Dual CF or Cfast slots.
2. 10 frames per second. (Though I'm single shot 99.9999 % of the time.)
3. 32-34mp.
4. Built in flash transmitter.
5. A couple of more rows of focus points.

The biggest thing for me would be the dual slots and that they match. No SD/CF or CF/ CFast. CF/CF or Cfast/ Cfast would be great.

What would you like to see?

I'm not expected to see a 5D V until 2021 at the earliest (based on past releases)

Improved sensor performance (that hopefully matches the Nikon D850's or it's replacement) is the only thing that is likely to persuade me to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
I would agree with most, in terms of photography, the 5D mark IV is pretty close to being perfect...

Minor upgrades to photography to satisfy most.....

- 32-36MP
- 10fps

I think getting rid of the mirror box to make room for both built-in transmitter as well as a built-in ND, would be nice.

-Oled EVF.
-IBIS (Hey, you can grab the original Canon 70-200 without IS and your golden)

And, because it is a mark V - V should stand for something more than just the roman numeral for 5. I mean, afterall we are hearing through the grape vine that Canon has this new found dedication towards video in their EOS cameras... just saying... V for Video?

4K/60p is a standard now... same with 1080/120p... and that was set as a standard by Canon with the 1dx mark 2. Keep it DCI, but make it FF without crop.

C-Log should be made standard in all EOS cameras too.

Add-in the assist features like Focus Peaking (this is good for manual lens users even for photography), Zebras, etc.

And, lastly... just to make it truly forward thinking have 6K open-gate anamorphic on FF.

Editted to add: Trust me, it will be CF-CFast or SD-CFast, because not everyone has CFast readily disposable. Obviously, CFast is the future, especially if we are going that route where high data rates are common. But coming from 5D3, 5D4, 1DX territory... you're not going to have CFast cards, but you know what you have plenty of? Thats right - CF and SD cards. I believe it will be dual CFast when its 1dx mark 4 (or higher) and 5D mark 7 (or higher). People need to build that CFast collection, and with current prices being the way they are.... that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think the answer, strangely enough, may depend on the 5DS2. Hear me out.

If Canon is indeed going to release a 5DS2 supercamera in the vein of the A99-II, A7R3, D850, etc. there will be a huge uptick in throughput that will establish it as the clear top dog (non-gripped) FF flagship body. So some 60 MP x 7 fps (or 50 x 8.) rig will be Canon's highest res and its highest fps (again, for non-gripped FF). And even if Canon doesn't go supercamera with the 5DS2, you still expect a bump in throughput, so perhaps it comes in tamely at 50 x 6 + on-chip ADC sensor + tilty-flippy-touch + DPAF -- where even there it's difficult the argue the 5D4 is worthy of top dollar.

That means that if the 5D5 wants to argue for 'prestige parity' with the 5DS2, to command a $3499 asking price, etc. the 5D5 needs to have something unassailably better than the 5DS2 for the 5DS2's entire lifecycle (i.e. a number of years). Logically that would be something juicy, like a very high fps (say 10-ish), full frame output in 4K (i.e. no crop), onboard wireless speedlite control, or some onboard hardware/horsepower from the 1DX3 that doesn't get as much fanfare (metering, tracking AF, massive buffer, etc.).

If the 5D5 doesn't have that 'killer app' above and beyond what the 5DS2 will offer, the 5D5 will slide into the 'middle' (D750-like) bucket of the FF portfolio and have a hard time maintaining price north of $3k, as everyone who will want a top of the line rig will just buy the clear top dog, the 5DS2.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That said, I might actually be in the market for a 5D5 (after skipping the 5D4) when it comes out in late 2020 / early 2021.

Here's what I'd like above and beyond my 5D3:

• Tilty-flippy touchscreen
  • More detail, say 36 MP
  • More than 14 bit RAW? Is that possible?
  • 1DX3 AF setup (in broad strokes: the points, the spread, etc.
  • On-board wireless speedlite control
  • Bring back the manual focusing screen option
  • On-chip ADC sensor (100% certainty we get this, the 5D4 already did)
  • Spot metering at the selected AF point (i.e. off-center spot metering)
  • Slightly re-arrange the control layout so that gripped vertical shooting is a much more consistent experience than standard shooting (i.e. find some way to re-locate the wheel and joystick to be in the same spot when your turn the body 90 degrees)
  • Big step up in fps, like 10-12. I don't need this at all, but for the reasons I said in the prior thread -- keeping this thing at equal prestige to the 5DS2 will likely keep resale price higher than if it wasn't.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
mkabi said:

I don't.

mkabi said:
not everyone has CFast readily disposable.

I wonder why.

mkabi said:
Obviously, CFast is the future

To whom?

mkabi said:
especially if we are going that route where high data rates are common.

Some people seem to not realize 4K & high fps are niche features.

mkabi said:
People need to build that CFast collection

Oh, do they?

mkabi said:
and with current prices being the way they are.... that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Expensive is the hallmark feature of poorly selling electronics.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Antono Refa said:
Some people seem to not realize 4K & high fps are niche features.

Agree, but that doesn't mean that they aren't worth offering.

Both surely are valuable for companies as they are used to justify higher prices, stratify their portfolio into good/better/best, give buyers of lower-level products a tempting step up to pay more for, etc.

- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
edoorn said:
i don't see a 5D V happening very soon, but the rumoured FF mirrorless could tick many boxes: improved sensor, 10 fps or more, sort of 'auto AFMA' since it won't be needed at all anymore, flip screen, good video function, eye AF, etc. It just won't use a mirror.

I agree that there will most likely be a mirrorless model or two before a 5DV shows up. So, basically we are talking a couple of cycles down the road before the 5DV comes out. It is hard to guess, but I am not sure how much Canon will push the fps rate. With the 5DIV, they seemed to be emphasizing quiet operation over fps. Of course with a global shutter....

I can't see much point in bumping the sensor up a couple of megapixels.

Upvote 0