5d Mikv focus - lens microadjustment - always off

Hi , been really testing the focus on my 5d 4 recently with fast paced lifestyle shoots shooting fairly wide open F1.6 on my primes - 50L , 85L mkII & sigma 35 art.
I was getting loads of missed focus , using single point one shot on static shots and AI tracking on walking shots , much more than my mk 3 .
So I checked microadjust and tweaked it for each lens at each scenario , and they needed +5 to 12 , enough to put it out by a few inches to half a head on my 85mm!

But every time I want to the AF menu page it was always showing AF micro adjust as off .. I could see a way to turn it on and stay on , especially if I switched camera off for a few minutes .
This was on Manuel mode , and same on Custom modes c1-c3. I suspect I have to re-register each custom mode.
But it’s not clear if I have `AF micro adjust actually on in any mode - can anyone help?

I also feel that tracking in standard config is not as good as my mk3!
I never had to worry about much AF scenarios before now I’m getting 1 in 5 in focus on slow to med speed walking or static when fairly wide open .

Thanks

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
klickflip said:
Hi , been really testing the focus on my 5d 4 recently with fast paced lifestyle shoots shooting fairly wide open F1.6 on my primes - 50L , 85L mkII & sigma 35 art.
I was getting loads of missed focus , using single point one shot on static shots and AI tracking on walking shots , much more than my mk 3 .
So I checked microadjust and tweaked it for each lens at each scenario , and they needed +5 to 12 , enough to put it out by a few inches to half a head on my 85mm!

But every time I want to the AF menu page it was always showing AF micro adjust as off .. I could see a way to turn it on and stay on , especially if I switched camera off for a few minutes .
This was on Manuel mode , and same on Custom modes c1-c3. I suspect I have to re-register each custom mode.
But it’s not clear if I have `AF micro adjust actually on in any mode - can anyone help?

I never had to worry about much AF scenarios before now I’m getting 1 in 5 in focus on slow to med speed walking or static when fairly wide open .

Thanks
Once you set the AF microadjustment ON, it should stay on, on every mode but you will have to re-register it for custom modes C1, C2 and C3. You only have to do it once, just for one lens, not for all of your lenses.
I just tested it a few moments ago, so that I don't give you rubish advice :)
Thanks,
Nelu

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
klickflip said:

Thanks

I can't speak for the micro adjust, but I'm surprised you have that many focusing issues with your 5DIV. The biggest wow-factor when getting my 5DIV was how it nailed every focusing situation. If I was you, I would send it in to Canon to have the focusing checked and possibly adjusted.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I can't speak for the micro adjust, but I'm surprised you have that many focusing issues with your 5DIV. The biggest wow-factor when getting my 5DIV was how it nailed every focusing situation. If I was you, I would send it in to Canon to have the focusing checked and possibly adjusted.

While focusing is very good on the 5D Mark IV, for me the wow factor was a bit muted because my other camera is the original 1DX. Focusing on that one is simply telepathic; it just knows where I want it and it's almost perfect!
When I got the camera, a few years ago, I tried it once on a dog running towards me at full speed. Of twelve shots, eleven were spot-on the dog's eyes, one was slighlty out of focus.
Simply marvelous!
The 5D Mark IV is not quite there but it's pretty close...I love them both!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Re: 5d Mikv focus - lens microadjustment - always off

Kit Lens Jockey said:
I thought the 1DX II had essentially the same focus system as the 5D IV. If this is true, you're effectively saying the 1DX focusing system was better than the 1DX II??

I own both the 1DXII and the 5DIV. I used to own 1DX. I can reassure you that the 1DXII is noticeably better at focusing than the 5DIV. It is faster, more accurate and much better in low light. I have never done any side by side comparison between the 5DIV and 1DX, but I feel quite confident to say that the 1DX is the better one.

I guess it is partly the processing power, especially the dedicated AF processor in the 1DX/1DXII and partly the stronger/higher voltage battery.

Upvote 0
It sounds like there might be a fault with the autofocus on your 5D mk4. I have both the 5D mk4 and the 5D mk3 and the focussing on the mk4 is significantly better than on the mk3. This is partly because my mk3 tends to front focus, but also the mk4 focusses more quickly especially when the light is poor.
I suggest you take it back to the shop where you bought it, or ask Canon to check it as it does not seem to be performing correctly.

Upvote 0