5D Mk4, 6D Mk2, 7D Mk2, 80D and 5D Mk 3 compared for Wildlife photography

Grant Atkinson said:
tomscott said:
As usual the 6DMKII is the dark horse in actual application from people that know what they are doing.

For £1175 it cant be beaten.

Great review :)
Thanks for the feedback Tom Scott, and yes, the 6D represents a very good value in that group of cameras :)

I serious think the 6D2 is the most under-rated camera of 2017. I've been shooting with it for 9+ months now with outstanding results and haven't had an issue with it yet. I occasional have to bracket some extreme landscape scenes for the dynamic range but I probably would have to anyways with just about any other camera.

I use my 80D mostly for wildlife (birds and moving objects with my long lenses) and actually used your 80D video Grant that you did about a year ago to adjust my settings for wildlife shooting with the 80D.....it works great!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Durf said:
Grant Atkinson said:
tomscott said:
As usual the 6DMKII is the dark horse in actual application from people that know what they are doing.

Thanks for the feedback Tom Scott, and yes, the 6D represents a very good value in that group of cameras :)

I serious think the 6D2 is the most under-rated camera of 2017. I've been shooting with it for 9+ months now with outstanding results and haven't had an issue with it yet. I occasional have to bracket some extreme landscape scenes for the dynamic range but I probably would have to anyways with just about any other camera.

I use my 80D mostly for wildlife (birds and moving objects with my long lenses) and actually used your 80D video Grant that you did about a year ago to adjust my settings for wildlife shooting with the 80D.....it works great!

+1 I was a very early adopter coming from the 5DMKIII and although its not perfect for all tasks it certainly is a very good performer.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
Durf said:
Grant Atkinson said:
tomscott said:

+1 I was a very early adopter coming from the 5DMKIII and although its not perfect for all tasks it certainly is a very good performer.

Yes, I agree it's not perfect but no camera is; I'm VERY satisfied with it though. Just like any tool one needs to learn how to use it and figure out its strengths and weaknesses to get the most out of it.....

I'm glad Grant included the 6D2 in this testing and comparison article, he shows it's potential as a worthy foe and perhaps not the best but quite capable of even casual to somewhat moderate FF wildlife photography ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Durf
We also like shooting the 6D Mark 2 and the 80D together, they are so similar in their controls and feel, that it is seamless to switch between them. We where really glad that the 6D Mark 2 came out when it did, in terms of this comparison it offers users more choices, and that is always good. Also the 6D Mark 2 is plenty good enough for wildlife photography - the cameras image quality in low light is far superior to the wildlife cameras that we where using not that long ago - the 1D Mark 4, even the 5D Mark 3, and the 6D Mk2 autofocus is good enough. Buffer is big enough, just..and frame rate is just fast enough, and once you take the price into consideration then it really stands up well in the comparison.
Also happy to hear that the autofocus video was helpful in setting up the 80D which is also a solid performer in its class :)

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Grant Atkinson said:
Just posted a side by side comparison of what it is like to use the 5D Mk4, the 6D Mk2, the 7D Mk2, the 80D and the 5D Mk 3 for wildlife photography: https://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/6d-mark-ii-5d-mark-iv-7d-mark-ii-or-80d-which-mid-range-canon-dslr-for-wildlife-photography
The aim of the post is not to declare an overall winner but rather to share what my wife and i perceive to be the different cameras strengths and weaknesses, for our kind of wildlife photography. With that group of cameras, the 5D Mk4, 7D Mk2 and 5D Mk3 are all similar in their control layout, in their viewfinder autofocus, their dedicated AF multi-controllers, and their grip size. The 6D Mark 2 and 80D are smaller in the hand, and have reduced size and controls, but make a strong case for themselves with their swivel-tilt screens and their image quality.

We get asked questions often by Canon users about these five cameras, so are hoping that the post provides some useful information.
Cheers
Grant

Hey Grant, thank you for all the work you put in to the articles!

I read both with particular interest in the 5DSR.

So Grant, how much do you use the 5DSR when you shoot vs. The other bodies, and when do you prefer to use it? I'm thinking that the 5DSR2 might be my next body.

By the way, how is the day to day in South Africa with that drought?

Thanks again.

Scott

Upvote 0
Grant Atkinson said:
Hi Durf
We also like shooting the 6D Mark 2 and the 80D together, they are so similar in their controls and feel, that it is seamless to switch between them. We where really glad that the 6D Mark 2 came out when it did, in terms of this comparison it offers users more choices, and that is always good. Also the 6D Mark 2 is plenty good enough for wildlife photography - the cameras image quality in low light is far superior to the wildlife cameras that we where using not that long ago - the 1D Mark 4, even the 5D Mark 3, and the 6D Mk2 autofocus is good enough. Buffer is big enough, just..and frame rate is just fast enough, and once you take the price into consideration then it really stands up well in the comparison.
Also happy to hear that the autofocus video was helpful in setting up the 80D which is also a solid performer in its class :)

Yes Grant, these two camera's pair up nicely, I really enjoy owning and using both these camera's together. For what I do they work out great for me and I have no desire to buy something else because the internet says I need a better camera! haha
....and if one broke I'd highly likely replace it with the same camera.

Upvote 0
Hey Grant, thank you for all the work you put in to the articles!

I read both with particular interest in the 5DSR.

So Grant, how much do you use the 5DSR when you shoot vs. The other bodies, and when do you prefer to use it? I'm thinking that the 5DSR2 might be my next body.

By the way, how is the day to day in South Africa with that drought?

Thanks again.

Scott
[/quote]
Hi Scott, thanks for reading and your feedback!. Because I have a strong preference for action photography, and because some of the places that I spend time in can present unplanned action photo opportunities, like lion cubs leaping in the air, or cheetah hunting, or eagles fighting over food, etc I tend to not use the 5D SR as much as somebody else might. I don't like missing out on action shots because I never shot them sharp enough or my shutter speed wasnt fast enough, or the buffer filled...

However, if I am in places where my shooting opportunities are more about fine art kind of imagery, and my approach is more planned, like photographic hotspots for elephant and rhino, then I make sure to take a 5DSR along with me. The 50 megapixel raw images from the 5D SR really do print beautifully, specially if I am able to keep the iso lower in the range
Thanks for asking about the drought, it is not throughout the country, but really most intense in and around Cape Town. So it is raining right now, but we do still have water and we live with sensible, cost-regulated, voluntary water restrictions which are helping reduce how much we use here... :)/ The media has ramped up the severity of the water shortages here a bit...

What cameras are you shooting with for your main bodies now? :)

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Hi Grant, wonderful read on your article, although I use the 1DxII it's always a pleasure reading your articles to find the Gems that work across all the bodies, Thank You.

Just back from 2 weeks spread between Londolozi and Mala Mala, happy to see more greenery than I'de expected and interesting now to see the Politics of the Lions with the Majingilane Males now (sadly) out of the picture and the Birmingham Coalition settling in.

My favourite part of the World (that and Tuscany, hard choice, for different reasons)

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Grant Atkinson said:
jd7 said:
I'd like to add my thanks too Grant. I've only had time to skim read your article so far but I've already found some interesting things in it and I will read it properly as soon as I have a chance. I do like reading about your hands on experience with the various cameras and the way you set them up - plus there are some fantastic photos.

I noted your comments about the lack of an AF joystick on the 6DII and 80D. That alone was almost enough to make me to spring for a 5DIV (not that that is the 5DIV's only advantage of course), but I ended up going with the 6DII. One thing I've recently been trying is tapping the M.Fn button once and then you using the wheel near the shutter button and the rear dial to set the AF point - an idea I picked up from another CR member (thanks @tomscott!). It's a little annoying having to tap the M.Fn button first, but otherwise it is reasonably quick (although I need to develop the muscle memory for it yet) and I think it's a bit more comfortable than getting my thumb down to the eight way controller. Have you ever tried that AF point selection method?

Lastly, at the risk of going off topic, I noted a couple of photos in your post were taken with the 24-70 f/4L IS. Any reason you use it rather than a 24-70 f/2.8L II? I have the f/4L IS and I do think it's a good lens (especially for long hikes and other travel), and I have a couple of primes in that focal range for when I want faster apertures. Even so though, I get tempted by the 24-70 f/2.8L II from time to time. Just curious why you use the f/4 L IS, given the reputation of the 2.8L II. Given the other lenses you are carrying, it cannot be size/weight! :)
Hi JD, thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. I do know about the dial turning method of moving the focus point around on the 6D Mark 2 and the 80D, and in fact you can do it on any Canon camera with two dials, but i find it very awkward to remember to use that method on one body then have a different method (on the 1DX, 5D4, 7D2 etc) when I pick up one of those bodies, specially when shooting them side by side which I do often :). Sometimes it can also happen that you don't press the M.Fn button far enough to activate it (by accident) and then I end up spinning the aperture the wrong way :)
About the 24-70f4L IS, you nailed the reason that I carry it - although it is precisely because of the other lenses that i carry and how heavy they are, that i have to try cut weight somewhere - normally on any given trip i will take ONE big tele (400DO f4 IS ii OR 500f4 IS ii) and a mid range zoom (100-400 IS ii OR 70-200 f2.8 IS ii) and then just one wide angle. I would like the extra sharpness of the f2.8 version of the 24-70 but I am happy enough with the results that i get from the f4 IS. So for now it is doing the job. :)
Cheers
Grant

Well, I really was not expecting size/weight as the reason for the 24-70 f4L IS! It is a good lens though. For me, it's the extra stop more so than extra sharpness which is the attraction of the f2.8L II.

I am looking forward to getting a chance to read your whole article in detail in the near future. Thanks again for going into so much detail!

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
Hi Grant, wonderful read on your article, although I use the 1DxII it's always a pleasure reading your articles to find the Gems that work across all the bodies, Thank You.

Just back from 2 weeks spread between Londolozi and Mala Mala, happy to see more greenery than I'de expected and interesting now to see the Politics of the Lions with the Majingilane Males now (sadly) out of the picture and the Birmingham Coalition settling in.

My favourite part of the World (that and Tuscany, hard choice, for different reasons)
I have never been to Tuscany but it sounds amazing, but I will be back at Malamala again in June and looking forward to it. Glad that the article was interesting and something useful in there!
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0
Well, I really was not expecting size/weight as the reason for the 24-70 f4L IS! It is a good lens though. For me, it's the extra stop more so than extra sharpness which is the attraction of the f2.8L II.

I am looking forward to getting a chance to read your whole article in detail in the near future. Thanks again for going into so much detail!
[/quote]
Hi JD7, what I also didn't mention is that i quite often try to get lower angles with wildlife, and with a wide-angle lens like the 24-70 and the tilt-swivel screen of the 6D Mark 2 and 80D, I can sometimes manage the low angle from a vehicle by hanging my arm down from the open window, as far as i can stretch it. When I am working that way at the end of my reach every gram of weight counts :)

Upvote 0
Ah-Keong said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Ah-Keong said:
Thanks for the great comparison review!~ :p
You are welcome Ah Keong :)
May I ask would you be adding the 1DX Mk2 to compare with 5D Mk4, 6D Mk2, 7D Mk2 and 80D?
Hi Ah Keong
I dont have any plans right now to include the 1DX Mark 2 in such a comparison although i probably should. If had to try sum up very roughly,though, the 1DX Mark 2 compared to the 5D Mark 4, we find that viewfinder autofocus is quite similar on both (though the 1DX Mark 2 is much better if you use EF Extenders), and without extenders the 1DX Mark 2 may focus a tiny bit faster. The !DX Mark 2 has its autofocus system illuminate in red in the viewfinder which can be an advantage if you shoot in the dark. Where a big difference exists is the frame rate, as 7 fps is only just fast enough for action whereas the 1DX Mark 2 is about as fast as will likely ever need. The shorter shutter lag, shorter viewfinder blackout on the 1DX Mark 2 also makes for a faster response, and then the other big difference for action photography is the buffer capacity. On the 1DX Mark 2 we never even get close to filling the buffer, even using a CF card, whereas the 5D Mark4 has a decent buffer but if there is continuous action happening, we do need to keep one eye on the buffer to try avoid filling it at a critical time. When it comes to image quality, if you view or use the images at the same output size, by printing them at the same physical size, or by viewing them on the same size screen, without cropping, then we find that the 1DX Mark 2 images are only incrementally better when it comes to noise at high iso. Perhaps a third of stop. But they are so close in image quality that we dont consider that a big differentiator. If one needs to crop heavily then the 5D Mark 4 holds an advantage. DPAF function is about the same in both cameras for stills, but for video the fully functional touch screen of the 5D Mark 4 may be better than the limited function touch screen of the 1DX Mark 2. The 1DX Mark 2 has superior video frame rate and resolution choices. When it comes to ergonomics the 1DX Mark 2 is larger and can be even more deeply configured. Hope something there helps..
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Great article. And, as usual, I learned new things from it, such as the metering lock on the 6D2.....
Thanks for the feedback Don and sorry I only saw this comment today
I learn lots of new things from this forum too, and also learn when I am writing these camera posts, sometimes when it may be some feature of the camera that I don't use in my line of shooting but it is good to try keep up with how these cameras are developing :), like the metering lock on the 6D2
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0
Grant Atkinson said:
Hi Ah Keong
I dont have any plans right now to include the 1DX Mark 2 in such a comparison although i probably should. If had to try sum up very roughly,though, the 1DX Mark 2 compared to the 5D Mark 4, we find that viewfinder autofocus is quite similar on both (though the 1DX Mark 2 is much better if you use EF Extenders), and without extenders the 1DX Mark 2 may focus a tiny bit faster. The !DX Mark 2 has its autofocus system illuminate in red in the viewfinder which can be an advantage if you shoot in the dark. Where a big difference exists is the frame rate, as 7 fps is only just fast enough for action whereas the 1DX Mark 2 is about as fast as will likely ever need. The shorter shutter lag, shorter viewfinder blackout on the 1DX Mark 2 also makes for a faster response, and then the other big difference for action photography is the buffer capacity. On the 1DX Mark 2 we never even get close to filling the buffer, even using a CF card, whereas the 5D Mark4 has a decent buffer but if there is continuous action happening, we do need to keep one eye on the buffer to try avoid filling it at a critical time. When it comes to image quality, if you view or use the images at the same output size, by printing them at the same physical size, or by viewing them on the same size screen, without cropping, then we find that the 1DX Mark 2 images are only incrementally better when it comes to noise at high iso. Perhaps a third of stop. But they are so close in image quality that we dont consider that a big differentiator. If one needs to crop heavily then the 5D Mark 4 holds an advantage. DPAF function is about the same in both cameras for stills, but for video the fully functional touch screen of the 5D Mark 4 may be better than the limited function touch screen of the 1DX Mark 2. The 1DX Mark 2 has superior video frame rate and resolution choices. When it comes to ergonomics the 1DX Mark 2 is larger and can be even more deeply configured. Hope something there helps..
Cheers
Grant

Thanks for the great summary , Sir! ;D
I really like the AF squares lighting in RED. Hope they would add it in the "7D Mark III"

Upvote 0