5D2 / 5D3 / 6D Which one do you use for weddings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i'm making a beginning to the wedding industry on my own. I've been quite experienced with the 5D and 5D2 and a bunch of crop bodies.

The one i love in FF is the adorable DOF they create which is the best way to isolate your subject in front of the chaotic background.

I'll keep my crop camera (600D) for landscapes which is light, and has the less noisy sensor (according to dpreview) camera studio tool.

However, i'm about to buy a new FF camera exclusively for weddings and i wonder if the 6D is best value for money over the overpriced and noisy 5D3. (i mean that camera completely failed me when i compared it with 5D 2. They walk side by side until ISO 12.800 of course in RAW mode)

The 6D delivers better RAW quality either because its 2 megapixel less from 5D3 or canon designed a better sensor for it.

I don't know about the AF system, i've read the specs and know all about it, but how does it work in real life?

And the million dollar question is.. Should i prefer the 5D3 AF system over the 6D better better IQ (plus the +1000 euros extra cost which is a nice L glass instead), or should the 6D AF system is more than enough in ceremonies in which case 6D will satisfy me completely!

I know 5D3 is a great camera and many people will support that, however i'm not interested in video and a non-plastic body. All i care about is RAW IQ and a reliable focus system in a descend budget.

any comments from people who worked with them both would be really helpful and much appreciated :D

many thanks in advance!

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I don't consider the 5D3 over-priced (for what I got them for) nor noisy at all. I liked the 1D series AF but It never came on cheaper camera's until the 5D3. It's AF is the best I've ever used on any camera and It's AF has helped me where the 6D/5D2/5Dc AF would have been darn difficult to pull off.

As for IQ, It's a wash between 5D3/6D and even 1DX. They're all excellent at 12,800 and with careful technique usable 25,600 shots.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
steliosk said:
However, i'm about to buy a new FF camera exclusively for weddings and i wonder if the 6D is best value for money over the overpriced and noisy 5D3. (i mean that camera completely failed me when i compared it with 5D 2. They walk side by side until ISO 12.800 of course in RAW mode)

The 5DII image quality was (and remains) excellent. The 5DIII fixes pretty much everything else that was 'wrong' with the 5DII...notably the AF system.

I'd pick the 5DIII over the 6D in a heartbeat for any situation with moving subjects.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
steliosk said:

The 5DII image quality was (and remains) excellent. The 5DIII fixes pretty much everything else that was 'wrong' with the 5DII...notably the AF system.

I'd pick the 5DIII over the 6D in a heartbeat for any situation with moving subjects.

Agreed. 5d2 was good but you couldn't AF to save your life in a crutch situation. 6d is good for extreme low light detail photos, but 5d3 is better in just about everything else...

Upvote 0
hmm so you're saying that the 5D3 AF system worth the extra cash, and focus is everything, where i agree on that.

I haven't been experienced with 1D series AF systems, and a when i played a bit with 5D3 it confused me a lot. I found it so complicated that i said "do i really need that" ???, where the simpler AF settings of the 6D with the -3ev sensitivity in the center point is tempting, making me ask myself and you of course.

However you're saying 5D3 AF system is more reliable and tested from the one of 6D.

another +1 about the 5D3 is the second slot card used as a backup for weddings something 6D lacks off :(
i don't know if the wireless function of the 6d permits backup

Upvote 0
steliosk said:
hmm so you're saying that the 5D3 AF system worth the extra cash, and focus is everything, where i agree on that.

I haven't been experienced with 1D series AF systems, and a when i played a bit with 5D3 it confused me a lot. I found it so complicated that i said "do i really need that" ???, where the simpler AF settings of the 6D with the -3ev sensitivity in the center point is tempting, making me ask myself and you of course.

However you're saying 5D3 AF system is more reliable and tested from the one of 6D.

another +1 about the 5D3 is the second slot card used as a backup for weddings something 6D lacks off :(

2 cents

I own a 5d3 and have rented a 6d (I may end up buying one as backup in the next few weeks), and I shoot mostly weddings and portraits. Unless $$$ is really tight, I'd opt for the 5d3 now then fill in your glass needs later (hard to say though because I do not know what glass you have).

The 6d is a fine camera, but I would be leary of depending on it too heavily as a primary body because it just didn't feel as sturdy as the mk3 (mind you, I'm not saying the 6d felt like junk, just that the mk3 does for sure have better build).

The 6d AF system isn't all that bad...just limited as the light gets lower (depending on the ceremony sight it would be center point only, where the mk3 will use all points flawlessly).

either way, I'd go mk3 over 6d.

Upvote 0
hmm i see!

well the lenses i have are
- 24-105L
- 70-200 f/4 IS L
- 100mm f/2.8 macro L

Also an ef-s 10-22 and a samyang 8mm fisheye for my 600D which i'll use for a second camera which performs quite well in 1600-3200 iso and these lenses doesn't need fast speeds. f/5.6 and 1/60 are ok even for a large print 30x40cm

i'll buy an ef 50mm f/1.4 along the the FF camera. (i love the creamy 1.2 but it goes way beyond my tight budget :(

The way i'm thinking of it.
my FF will play with the 50 1.4 and the 24-105 for start
and the 600D with 10-22, fisheye, and the 100L which is ideal for head portraits as it becomes like 160mm

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:

2 cents

I own a 5d3 and have rented a 6d (I may end up buying one as backup in the next few weeks), and I shoot mostly weddings and portraits. Unless $$$ is really tight, I'd opt for the 5d3 now then fill in your glass needs later (hard to say though because I do not know what glass you have).

The 6d is a fine camera, but I would be leary of depending on it too heavily as a primary body because it just didn't feel as sturdy as the mk3 (mind you, I'm not saying the 6d felt like junk, just that the mk3 does for sure have better build).

The 6d AF system isn't all that bad...just limited as the light gets lower (depending on the ceremony sight it would be center point only, where the mk3 will use all points flawlessly).

The tracking capability of the 5d3 on moving subjects like walking down the isle, first dance, dressing room, etc... Too many situations where AF is crucial. Also good point about durability... At a event I was hired to do a photobooth/candid photographer for Union Pacific, my second assistant tripped over a cord and knocked my 5d3 which fell 3-4 feet onto concrete... It has a paint scuff on the bottom corner, but other than that, it is in perfect condition... even my 24-105 suffered little to no damage... Cant say enough about the durability.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
awinphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
steliosk said:

Agreed. 5d2 was good but you couldn't AF to save your life in a crutch situation. 6d is good for extreme low light detail photos, but 5d3 is better in just about everything else...
Absolutely agree! I recall reading several articles, even on CR before I got mine, stating emphatically that the 5D Mk III was a wedding photographers perfect tool... It's an excellent choice. And I agree with others regarding the AF, it's really second to none in the sub $3,000 price bracket for Canon bodies... :)

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:

2 cents

The tracking capability of the 5d3 on moving subjects like walking down the isle, first dance, dressing room, etc... Too many situations where AF is crucial. Also good point about durability... At a event I was hired to do a photobooth/candid photographer for Union Pacific, my second assistant tripped over a cord and knocked my 5d3 which fell 3-4 feet onto concrete... It has a paint scuff on the bottom corner, but other than that, it is in perfect condition... even my 24-105 suffered little to no damage... Cant say enough about the durability.

That's why I say snag the 5d3! If you already have one and are in need of a backup, then the 6d is a fine choice (of course, if funds allow it, a second 5d3 would be better). But if your making the move to a FF primary body for weddings, 5d3 wins that battle hands down.

Upvote 0
steliosk said:
hmm i see!

- 24-105L
- 70-200 f/4 IS L
- 100mm f/2.8 macro L

Also an ef-s 10-22 and a samyang 8mm fisheye for my 600D which i'll use for a second camera which performs quite well in 1600-3200 iso and these lenses doesn't need fast speeds. f/5.6 and 1/60 are ok even for a large print 30x40cm

i'll buy an ef 50mm f/1.4 along the the FF camera. (i love the creamy 1.2 but it goes way beyond my tight budget :(

and the 600D with 10-22, fisheye, and the 100L which is ideal for head portraits as it becomes like 160mm

Your 10-22 won't work on a FF body (you may know that already though). I'm not sure if the 8mm is FF capable, but that would be almost tooo wide for wedding work

Also, I was on a 7d before upgrading to the mk3 (I also had the 10-22). I tried my best to use both side by side at weddings. But, I found that the 7d became a very heavy lens holder...It did great at outdoor ceremonies, but the difference in IQ above ISO 1600, that is a game changer and yeah, led to my 7d just sitting in the bag all day, then not even in the bag at all, then sold to a friend who was going to africa and wanted more than a P&S. So, be ready for your 600D to become a dust collector!

Also, after you snag your mk3, you could sell the 600d with 10-22 and then the 8 mm and snag yourself a 6d as backup body.

Lastly, I see your hot to trot for the 50 1.4, but, take a good look at the 85mm 1.8...same price basically but IMO a much more useful lens!

either way, be ready for the 600d to become a paper weight!

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:
hmm i see!

- 24-105L
- 70-200 f/4 IS L
- 100mm f/2.8 macro L

Your 10-22 won't work on a FF body (you may know that already though). I'm not sure if the 8mm is FF capable, but that would be almost tooo wide for wedding work

Also, I was on a 7d before upgrading to the mk3 (I also had the 10-22). I tried my best to use both side by side at weddings. But, I found that the 7d became a very heavy lens holder...It did great at outdoor ceremonies, but the difference in IQ above ISO 1600, that is a game changer and yeah, led to my 7d just sitting in the bag all day, then not even in the bag at all, then sold to a friend who was going to africa and wanted more than a P&S. So, be ready for your 600D to become a dust collector!

Also, after you snag your mk3, you could sell the 600d with 10-22 and then the 8 mm and snag yourself a 6d as backup body.

Lastly, I see your hot to trot for the 50 1.4, but, take a good look at the 85mm 1.8...same price basically but IMO a much more useful lens!

i see your point.
if i'd sell the 600D + 10-22 i'd go for the 16-35 2.8, i was thinking to keep the 600D with the 10-22 for the wide angle shots and also as a backup camera and put some money on primes.

the EF 85mm 1.8 is an excellent lens no doubt, better in everything than 50mm 1.4 (sharpness, bokeh)
However, the 50mm range is more "all around" than the 85mm and the churches here are a bit tight.

Upvote 0
steliosk said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:
hmm i see!

- 24-105L
- 70-200 f/4 IS L
- 100mm f/2.8 macro L

i see your point.
if i'd sell the 600D + 10-22 i'd go for the 16-35 2.8, i was thinking to keep the 600D with the 10-22 for the wide angle shots and also as a backup camera and put some money on primes.

the EF 85mm 1.8 is an excellent lens no doubt, better in everything than 50mm 1.4 (sharpness, bokeh)
However, the 50mm range is more "all around" than the 85mm and the churches here are a bit tight.

I had thought the same thing ---re: " i was thinking to keep the 600D with the 10-22 for the wide angle shots and also as a backup camera and put some money on primes."...But your 24-70 will actually cover the wide end on a FF body! It was startling to me, my 24-70 was a whole new lens on FF vs crop. And the quality at 24mm on FF vs the 10-22mm,...yeah, I quickly decided that its just better to take a few more steps back and use the 24-70 on the mk3 than to use the 10-22mm on the 7d. That really ended up being the final nail in my 7d's coffin. That and the reach factor with crop vs cropping the FF image...cropped FF was superior.

LOL --- the primes I have now, I bought them thinking - OK, lets see if maybe using the 7d with the 50mm and 85mm would get me to use it more. What ended up happening? I used the primes on the mk3. Seriously, I was fighting to find a way to make the 7d relevant, but in all cases the mk3 outshined it by so much that I just stopped using the 7d. So yeah, be ready for that (and the 7d is a bteer body than your 600d!!!!).

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
steliosk said:
hmm i see!

- 24-105L
- 70-200 f/4 IS L
- 100mm f/2.8 macro L

i see your point.

I had thought the same thing ---re: " i was thinking to keep the 600D with the 10-22 for the wide angle shots and also as a backup camera and put some money on primes."...But your 24-70 will actually cover the wide end on a FF body! It was startling to me, my 24-70 was a whole new lens on FF vs crop. And the quality at 24mm on FF vs the 10-22mm,...yeah, I quickly decided that its just better to take a few more steps back and use the 24-70 on the mk3 than to use the 10-22mm on the 7d. That really ended up being the final nail in my 7d's coffin. That and the reach factor with crop vs cropping the FF image...cropped FF was superior.

LOL --- the primes I have now, I bought them thinking - OK, lets see if maybe using the 7d with the 50mm and 85mm would get me to use it more. What ended up happening? I used the primes on the mk3. Seriously, I was fighting to find a way to make the 7d relevant, but in all cases the mk3 outshined it by so much that I just stopped using the 7d. So yeah, be ready for that (and the 7d is a bteer body than your 600d!!!!).
Also, I was on a 7d before upgrading to the mk3 (I also had the 10-22). I tried my best to use both side by side at weddings. But, I found that the 7d became a very heavy lens holder...It did great at outdoor ceremonies, but the difference in IQ above ISO 1600, that is a game changer and yeah, led to my 7d just sitting in the bag all day, then not even in the bag at all
Sounds pretty much like what my experience was! Lot of noisy shadows with my 7D. I just finally sold it about a week ago. Something I never thought would ever happen, six months ago!

Upvote 0
I'd go 5d3 over 6d if your only snagging 1 FF body. I am currently using both the 5d3 and the 6d for wedding work and the files from both look pretty damn close (its odd, I do find some situations where I like the colors for the 6d better, then vice versa).

For weddings though, reliability is a huge factor to consider. And on that level, the 5d3 wins hands down. I would not buy a 6d as my main body, though I do truly like the camera, there are some shortcomings to it that are hard to move past.

Here are 2 images - both unedited, one from the 6d and one from the 5d3, same setting, can any of tell which one is from which camera?

Attachments

• IMG_6262.jpg
    IMG_6262.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 1,018
  • CAPL4072.jpg
    CAPL4072.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0
Wow lots of 7D bashing going on. I disagree, the crop body has a place in my bag for weddings. I pretty much shot an entire wedding with the 7D & 17-55 and 5D2 & 135L. Of course theh 5D combo rocked it but you know what the 7D was no slouch! (And when the bride wants a shot of 11 people jumping in the air - 8fps makes it a cake walk) AF is crucial at a wedding and your subject is rarely in the center. And if it is then your shots will look crappy and average.

Now, my point is not to go out and buy a 7D but that AF is important and if you are choosing a camera for weddings, the the 5D3 is the clear choice. You have the speed, the IQ and the higher res file for cropping. There will be cropping!

Oh and when you go from indoors to outdoors in 1second. Good luck changing your WB on the 6D.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.