5D3 No Longer in Production

Jul 21, 2010
Mr. P said:
I am as unsure about all this as you are but it was what I was told and what I saw when I looked at their computer system (albeit I also have doubts about the validity of their system and their employees interpretation of that system).

Here's a thread about Best Buy discontinuing the 5DII a year before the 5DIII was announced.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=950.0

A few weeks later, it was back in stock.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Best Buy 'discontinued' the 5DII at least three times before the 5DIII was announced (and Canon didn't discontinue the 5DII until well after the launch of the 5DIII).

So I'd say this means nothing.

Yes i think what it indicates is "chest guy" is discontinuing it because of poor sales. They will order one if a customer wants it.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
e17paul said:
If Canon don't have something up their sleeve, the high ISO performance of the D810 will give them something to think about.
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/17/review-nikon-d810/

Yikes! [url=http://3zgehi1uaxi23dphbrgqa50r6z.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Chris-Gampat-The-Phoblographer-Nikon-D810-high-ISO-samples-Speakeasy-Dollhouse-NYC-7-of-9ISO-128001-60-sec-at-f-1.8.jpg]This
is impressive, is it?

Or this?

Looks bloody grim for 12,800 ISO, to my eyes...

This looks awful for 3200 ISO too.

Just for some perspective, here's a 100% crop of a 12,800 ISO snap out of my old 7D, straight out of DxO Optics 9 with its standard (not PRIME) NR at default.

Here's the Exif: 137mm, f/2.8, 1/125, ISO 12,800, Canon EOS 7D

Floodlit the subject was not.

Don't think Canon has much to learn from Nikon in the high ISO stakes, but the reviewer looks to have a lot to learn about what to do with high ISO files...

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Mr. P said:
I was at a major retailer today (I will leave their name out but it rhymes with 'chest guy') and I was asking them to price match the 5D3 for me. While they were looking it up they pointed out that their system indicated Canon is discontinued.

The system said they will still have the 5D3 in stock through 2017, but could the fact that they are no longer manufacuring new units be an indication that a 5D4 is coming soon than expected? Is this just an errorr on thier part or is this something that is already known to everyone but just news to me?
If you'd like to know if Canon is still manufacturing the 5D3, I'd fire off an email to the production manager in Japan rather than go through the sales person at "Best Buy".
What the "sales person" at this store really meant to tell you is that they do not sell this camera often and that they will not be ordering new stock as it will take them forever to sell the one they have in the store (likely not before 2017).

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
dilbert said:
So you're saying that Canon wouldn't want bring out a new sensor to try and spur sales growth across their lineup?

What - you mean, follow Nikon's lead?

Not doing them much good as far as actual sales of cameras is concerned, is it?

You still don't get it. Canon is selling more cameras than Nikon and Sony right now, with its existing sensors: because most photographers don't care about, or need, the niche benefits that "superior" low ISO DR provide.

So this "improvement" would be an irrelevance to the majority, and will do bugger all to "spur sales growth".

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
Chisox2335 said:
dilbert said:
Well against this outcome there is already the rumor that Canon will launch new models early in 2015.

Why would it do that?

To roll out new sensor technology across its line of DSLRs.

Why would it want to do that?

Re-invigorate sales and capitalize on having new technology to sell as a competitive edge against others.

The information in the story doesn't jive. They wouldn't have 2.5 years of stock, especially if they were ramping up to launch and announce a 5d4. I'm not saying it's not feasible to announce another model but they won't have 2.5 years of stock on the 5d3 which is why I question the knowledge of the salesperson in the first place.

I agree.

If this is true and Canon has already manufactured 2.5 years worth of 5D3 to sell alongside a 5D4, that makes them not only incredibly vulnerable to things like a firmware bug, which would need to be fixed on ALL cameras they have in stock, but it is also a huge waste of money to warehouse and ship those cameras when something new is available.

It also does not make sense to run two camera lines that are so similar from a manufacturing perspective, for 2.5 years. It would be much more efficient to put those resources into making more 5D4s or 1Dx2s or 80D or SL2 or whatever.

I don't think it's out of the question for them to announce something new even as a "speed bump", (for example, the 1D Mark IIn,) but they won't run it alongside the existing 5D3.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

You mean the rumored new sensor technology which Canon may or may not have ready for production, for which we have no evidence other than rumors and patents (most of which never become products).

So you're saying that Canon wouldn't want bring out a new sensor to try and spur sales growth across their lineup?

So you're saying that Canon's dSLR sales are suffering because of their current sensors? Got any evidence for that? or does the evidence show that Canon's major competitor, with their 'better' sensors made by someone else, is predicting greater losses than Canon?

Still, it would be great if Canon developed a new sensor technology that would appeal to consumers and could be rolled out to spur sales across the lineup. Oh, wait...they did, with DPAF.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There are dozens of logical explanations for this (the clerk didn't know what he was doing; somebody mis-typed a number; an arbitrary date chosen far into the future for inventory control; etc. etc.)

The only explanation that is not logical is that Best Buy's inventory control system is directly linked to Canon's production line. Yet, that's what would be required for this to be plausible.

We can safely file this under "goofy" and move on.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

You mean the rumored new sensor technology which Canon may or may not have ready for production, for which we have no evidence other than rumors and patents (most of which never become products).

So you're saying that Canon's dSLR sales are suffering because of their current sensors? Got any evidence for that?

Their sales are declining.

Read...then read again. Maybe the highlighted part will make it clearer. Why are their sales declining? Where is your evidence that Canon's sensors are the cause? Nikon has 'better' sensors, yet their sales are declining more.

dilbert said:
Still, it would be great if Canon developed a new sensor technology that would appeal to consumers and could be rolled out to spur sales across the lineup. Oh, wait...they did, with DPAF.

Except that none of the full frame cameras have DPAF or do you mean to say that consumers don't buy full frame DSLRs?

Read...then read again. Maybe the highlighted part will make it clearer. How many FF cameras have been released after DPAF was introduced in the 70D?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It would not surprise me if production on the 5D MK III has stopped, and retooling is underway for the next model. The early leaks on the 7D MK II were likely due to the same thing. However, Best Buy is well known for declaring products as discontinued, and then correcting their system.

I'm one who believes that if a new sensor appears in the 7D MK II, and it is exceptional, Canon already knows that sales will plummet on the 5D MK III and 1D X series, and will have to come out with new models. They also likely know what the competition is planning, and want to be ready. A multi layer sensor that actually works will bring more accurate colors, better saturation, and a host of new problems that we have yet to discover. It will not increase high ISO capability because of the layers, but BSI should lower noise which may help.

If you have a bridge that you want to sell, let me know ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm one who believes that if a new sensor appears in the 7D MK II, and it is exceptional, Canon already knows that sales will plummet on the 5D MK III and 1D X series, and will have to come out with new models. They also likely know what the competition is planning, and want to be ready. A multi layer sensor that actually works will bring more accurate colors, better saturation, and a host of new problems that we have yet to discover.

If. And if the technology scales to FF. It was also previously suggested that Canon might lead off with a 'gimped' version of the new sensor tech in a 7DII/X, precisely so sales don't plummet on current FF models.

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
Based on the timing of prior model releases, I suspect 2016 or 2017 is when we're likely to see a 5D4. I'd be a little surprised if turned up sooner.

16 or 17???? Without a super high MP or high low ISO DR camera for that long?? without 4k for that long?
that would be a good way to pull an Atari

next year for sure, maybe even the spring (hopefully)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

So you're saying that Canon's dSLR sales are suffering because of their current sensors? Got any evidence for that? or does the evidence show that Canon's major competitor, with their 'better' sensors made by someone else, is predicting greater losses than Canon?

Did you used to run Atari in the early to mid-80s??
I could swear you did.
Or was it Nokia more recently?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm one who believes that if a new sensor appears in the 7D MK II, and it is exceptional, Canon already knows that sales will plummet on the 5D MK III and 1D X series, and will have to come out with new models. They also likely know what the competition is planning, and want to be ready. A multi layer sensor that actually works will bring more accurate colors, better saturation, and a host of new problems that we have yet to discover.

If. And if the technology scales to FF. It was also previously suggested that Canon might lead off with a 'gimped' version of the new sensor tech in a 7DII/X, precisely so sales don't plummet on current FF models.

You can bank on that!!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

So you're saying that Canon's dSLR sales are suffering because of their current sensors? Got any evidence for that?

Their sales are declining.

Read...then read again. Maybe the highlighted part will make it clearer. Why are their sales declining? Where is your evidence that Canon's sensors are the cause? Nikon has 'better' sensors, yet their sales are declining more.

dilbert said:

Except that none of the full frame cameras have DPAF or do you mean to say that consumers don't buy full frame DSLRs?

Read...then read again. Maybe the highlighted part will make it clearer. How many FF cameras have been released after DPAF was introduced in the 70D?

So DPAF will be the savior??

And what about for video where they took the world by storm with the 5D2? So they sit around and wait until 2017 to put out a 5 series that does 4k (and has reasonable built-in usability features and built-in 1080p RAW)? Canon will be so beyond and afterthought by that crowd by then it won't even be funny.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
So they sit around and wait until 2017 to put out a 5 series that does 4k (and has reasonable built-in usability features and built-in 1080p RAW)? Canon will be so beyond and afterthought by that crowd by then it won't even be funny.

YAPODFC.

Yet another prediction of doom for Canon.

Yawn.

::)

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
You still don't get it. Canon is selling more cameras than Nikon and Sony right now, with its existing sensors: because most photographers don't care about, or need, the niche benefits that "superior" low ISO DR provide.

So this "improvement" would be an irrelevance to the majority, and will do bugger all to "spur sales growth".

Why are you so sure about this? DSLR sales are virtually collapsing. Seems likely (but not possible to verify 100%) that Canon currently is loosing market share in a rapidly shrinking market. Sounds like bad news to me.

As I see it they have every reason to do what they can here & now to regain both sales numbers and market share.

Upvote 0
As previously posted in another thread; Based on previous 5D-launches we should expect a new 5D4 around 2Q 2015 with possible announcement 4Q 2014 if loaded with "new exciting" tech [5Dii-scenario with months of pre-release teasers] or 1Q/2Q 2015 if only an "update" of the 5D3 [5Diii-scenario with announcement followed by almost immediate release].

Of course past patterns may not say much about the future - but on average they seem to be far our best guide when it comes to actual camera model updates from Canon.

Personally I hope for a 5D4 loaded with "new exciting" tech, larger better high-iso sensor is essential for me, more accurate and wider focus points very important, face recognition, wi-fi & swivel screen would be nice upgrades.

Time will tell...

Upvote 0