5D3 profiles and also 5D3 LCD color accuracy vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the 5D3 LCD shows colors slightly more accurately than the 7D and vastly more accurately than the 5D2. It seems to have about the same general accuracy as a stock new iPad using a stock image viewer. Doesn't quite match a well calibrated monitor though, colors are slight bit different and WB a little moreso. The 5D3 and 7D are close enough to at least be able to get a general in field sense of what WB matches the real life scene though. The 5D2, not so much.

For in cam jpgs/movies on the 5D3 it seems that profile Faithful gives the truest colors overall for stuff shot under direct sunlight or bright indirect sunlight, very late in the day or in deep shade or with odd lighting then it seems Neutral is better overall. Landscapes gives the most bizarre colors, by far, of all the profiles and Portrait the next. All the profiles oversaturate things, Standard and Landscape and Portrait a ton, Faithful a fair amount and Neutral a touch. Contrast -1 to -4 and saturation -1 to -3 is often a bit truer to life, that said, since no camera captures what the real experience is like, sometimes a modest artificially boost can be more natural in the end, it depends.

In ACR, Adobe Standard seems to give the most natural overall colors of all the built-in 5D3 profiles (you may need to knock down saturation a tiny bit though), although I found that under stadium lighting they all went wacky other than Camera Standard.

In my (admittedly short) time with the 5DMklll I have seen the preview suggest a much brighter image than the histogram's range. In one of these instances I was shooting musicians jamming in a couple of rooms lit with dim incandescent and awful fluorescent respectively. Both sets of previews were a bit "optimistic". No big deal if we know about it.

I believe Canon wants a crowd-pleasing image on that preview screen. People's eyes light up when they see the previews and say, "What a good camera!"

This is not a scientific test. I need to take more opportunities to check the histogram so my eye has a built-in adjustment knowledge. My little used 30D has a preview screen WAY out of whack: too bright by far. My 5DMkll is, I think, closer to "reality", but it's not with me on this trip with my new Mk3 so cannot place them side by side with the same scene captured.

I have the in-camera profile set to Neutral.

I hope others will add to this thread.

jonathan7007

Upvote 0
jonathan7007 said:
In my (admittedly short) time with the 5DMklll I have seen the preview suggest a much brighter image than the histogram's range. In one of these instances I was shooting musicians jamming in a couple of rooms lit with dim incandescent and awful fluorescent respectively. Both sets of previews were a bit "optimistic". No big deal if we know about it.

I believe Canon wants a crowd-pleasing image on that preview screen. People's eyes light up when they see the previews and say, "What a good camera!"

This is not a scientific test. I need to take more opportunities to check the histogram so my eye has a built-in adjustment knowledge. My little used 30D has a preview screen WAY out of whack: too bright by far. My 5DMkll is, I think, closer to "reality", but it's not with me on this trip with my new Mk3 so cannot place them side by side with the same scene captured.

I have the in-camera profile set to Neutral.

I hope others will add to this thread.

jonathan7007

I usually set the LCD brightness myself and don't rely on the auto-setting. Whatever you do it is far wiser to rely on the histogram than the LCD to judge exposure, although if you become really familiar with it it can help a bit itself, but the histogram is the real place to look.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.