5D3 shooting my cat at ISO 51k at 6:30 a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Hi, I know it has been done before. But this morning I was shooting my cat at ISO 51200 in an almost dark bedroom at 6:30 a.m. today. Canon 5D3, Canon EF 50 F/1.4 @ F/1.6, 1/40 sec. While a small amount of ambiental light fingered into the room I manually focussed at the animals ears which I saw better than it's eyes, therefore the face is slightly out of focus. Photograph above: no NR applied. Photograph below: NR value in both Luminance Noise & Chromniance Noise: 14 out of 20 in Canon's free software Digital Photo Professional. This goes way beyond my wildest enthusiast amateur dreams! Watch it in full mode, although due to reduction in post for webupload the difference is less obvious. But the pic without NR looks as grainy as back in the filmdays...But that's quite awesome at these ISOs! 8)

BildpaketKLEIN by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
Pretty impressive, as are your other night shots.

Does this mean you sleep with your 5D as well as the cat ? ;D

@Sporgon: LOL. No, the cat sneaks in every morning. Attached to the bedroom there is a balcony where it normally sleeps in its "nest". So, my wife let it in...The room although slightly enlighted was still very dark. I could hardly see the cat... But the 5D did 8) I am amazed by these shots. Even the one w/o NR looks usable. I appreciate your comments related to my nightphotography. Cheers, Pedro.

To the other fellow posters: Thanks for contributing!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
pedro said:
Sporgon said:

@Sporgon: LOL. No, the cat sneaks in every morning. Attached to the bedroom there is a balcony where it normally sleeps in its "nest". So, my wife let it in...The room although slightly enlighted was still very dark. I could hardly see the cat... But the 5D did 8) I am amazed by these shots. Even the one w/o NR looks usable. I appreciate your comments related to my nightphotography. Cheers, Pedro.

Still it is obvious that you sleep with your camera ;D

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
tron said:
pedro said:
Sporgon said:

Still it is obvious that you sleep with your camera ;D
Doesn't everybody? ;)

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
tron said:
pedro said:
closed of course! 8)
That way the camera is safe from ... the cat ;D

Also, you do not want your picture taken... by the cat ;D ;D
Yep! I have my camera bag closed too. With two dogs and a cat in the house, I do not want them to even attempt competing with me!

I am the "Man" of the house and I have my wife's permission to say so! ;)

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

rpt said:
tron said:
pedro said:
closed of course! 8)

Yep! I have my camera bag closed too. With two dogs and a cat in the house, I do not want them to even attempt competing with me!

I wish my wife would let me say so...

Impressive pictures, I have a hard time getting the high ISO looking better than they do with my 5D3. I'm working on other settings and improving my skills so hopefully one day.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hobby Shooter said:
rpt said:
tron said:
pedro said:
closed of course! 8)

I wish my wife would let me say so...

Impressive pictures, I have a hard time getting the high ISO looking better than they do with my 5D3. I'm working on other settings and improving my skills so hopefully one day.

You know, it was a real long shutter speed at 1/40 handheld and almost wide open. I really hope Canon stays at 22 MP with the 5Ds while the sensors and ISOs improve accordingly. Wish a next or overnext body will enable us to shoot ISO 51k equivalent to ISO 25k IQ today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.