Right, because DSLRs don’t outsell MILCs, and Canon wants to lose sales. Makes sense.
Canon, Nikon and Panasonic's CEOs knows that moving forward DSLRs and crop cameras aren't going to be as profitable as full frame MILCs.

Their companies will continue producing many of the current DSLRs and crop cameras but it's highly unlikely they will develop new ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon CEO knows better than you. :)
I missed it, when did he announce that there would be no 5DV or no more DSLRs? Would love to see the quote.

Meanwhile, here’s a quote from last month by the top product-planning executive within Canon, Inc., “Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series.” But it’s a Japanese company, so senior executives publicly contradict the viewpoint of their CEO all the time. Makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I missed it, when did he announce that there would be no 5DV or no more DSLRs? Would love to see the quote.

Meanwhile, here’s a quote from last month by the top product-planning executive within Canon, Inc., “Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series.” But it’s a Japanese company, so senior executives publicly contradict the viewpoint of their CEO all the time. Makes sense.
CEOs have the final say. Products in development can be cancelled or retrofitted for prevailing market conditions and trends.

1DX2, 5D4, 5DsR and 7D2 are nearing their product cycle by year end 2020. It gives Canon the opportunity to smoothly transition to MILC equivalent successors. As there are customers who prefer DSLRs then production of current product lines would be continued.

These RF lenses were announced last Feb 14
These RF lenses were announced last Sep 5
Canon released a lot of DSLRs after the 5D4 was released that have yet to hit the end of their product cycles.

Upvote 0
Right, because DSLRs don’t outsell MILCs, and Canon wants to lose sales. Makes sense.
Yes, and some of Canon's best selling DSLR's are the ones internet junkies hate and complain about the most! (like the 6D2 for example).
Makes sense ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CEOs have the final say. Products in development can be cancelled or retrofitted for prevailing market conditions and trends.

1DX2, 5D4, 5DsR and 7D2 are nearing their product cycle by year end 2020. It gives Canon the opportunity to smoothly transition to MILC equivalent successors. As there are customers who prefer DSLRs then production of current product lines would be continued.

These RF lenses were announced last Feb 14
These RF lenses were announced last Sep 5
Canon released a lot of DSLRs after the 5D4 was released that have yet to hit the end of their product cycles.
In other words, you made a statement implying that Canon’s CEO has decided there will be no 5DV, but you cannot back that claim up with any evidence. Lame.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon, Nikon and Panasonic's CEOs knows that moving forward DSLRs and crop cameras aren't going to be as profitable as full frame MILCs.
On a unit basis, it’s reasonable that full frame MILCs may be more profitable than FF DSLRs and crop ILCs. The suggestion that full frame lines will generate more revenue than crop lines is not reasonable at all. I’d ask you for evidence to support that claim, but that would be pointless, wouldn’t it?

Their companies will continue producing many of the current DSLRs and crop cameras but it's highly unlikely they will develop new ones.
Except that, as I pointed out, Canon actually stated last month that they are developing new DSLR products.

You should probably quit while you’re behind, facts are slapping you around pretty hard so far in this thread, that’s gotta hurt.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, and some of Canon's best selling DSLR's are the ones internet junkies hate and complain about the most! (like the 6D2 for example).
Makes sense ;)
Yeah, the RP bashing is going strong, and that camera at that price point seems likely to ensure Canon’s dominance of the entire MILC market (just as they already dominate the DSLR market and the ILC market as a whole).

Upvote 0
Yeah, the RP bashing is going strong, and that camera at that price point seems likely to ensure Canon’s dominance of the entire MILC market (just as they already dominate the DSLR market and the ILC market as a whole).
Perhaps it's just me but the mirrorless frenzie doesn't excite nor interest me one bit....I totally prefer DSLR's and the OVF.
I bought my daughter a M50 last Christmas, cool "little" camera but I prefer my 80D over it 110%......especially when it comes to my longer lenses.
The RP is a joke in my opinion.....Canon needs to really come out with a flagship high production RF Mirrorless FF camera soon, these cheap little camera's for all these high dollar RF lenses look a bit ridiculous while they are claiming they are serious about the FF mirrorless market....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Perhaps it's just me but the mirrorless frenzie doesn't excite nor interest me one bit....I totally prefer DSLR's and the OVF.
I bought my daughter a M50 last Christmas, cool "little" camera but I prefer my 80D over it 110%......especially when it comes to my longer lenses.
The RP is a joke in my opinion.....Canon needs to really come out with a flagship high production RF Mirrorless FF camera soon, these cheap little camera's for all these high dollar RF lenses look a bit ridiculous while they are claiming they are serious about the FF mirrorless market....
When shooting birds, or an event where I’m holding my camera with a 70-200/2.8 for an extended period, I really don’t want a body smaller than my 1D X. But, I quite like the idea of a small FF camera for travel. I’ve considered the R for that (still considering it), but would really prefer a high-MP version.

Upvote 0
When shooting birds, or an event where I’m holding my camera with a 70-200/2.8 for an extended period, I really don’t want a body smaller than my 1D X. But, I quite like the idea of a small FF camera for travel. I’ve considered the R for that (still considering it), but would really prefer a high-MP version.

I've never shot with a 1Dx before, I imagine it's awesome though.

My everyday carry is the 80D paired with the 6D2. I love these 2 cameras. I usually always have the 70-300L Lens on the 80D and the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 on my 6D2. My 16-35 f4 L is always in my EDC bag to quickly snap on to the 6D2 if needed.

They are a little bulky to carry together but I don't enjoy shooting with smaller camera bodies than these. (I've tried and just don't like smaller cameras).

I would consider replacing my 80D with a 7Diii if they release one, but not sure about ever buying a FF mirrorless. The EOS R doesn't check enough boxes for me, perhaps a higher pro body would, but for now these 2 camera's I have now work great for me and I have no real desire for a different "kit".

I do also shoot with a Pentax K1 and find this camera amazing and with awesome image quality, totally awesome for stills!

My Canons feel better in the hands though and are just more easy to use for most of the types of shooting I do.

I doubt if I would ever consider a 5D5 camera.......

Upvote 0

I swapped my old 5D3 for the R, and I do prefer it as a quick walk around camera with the RF 35. If I need to jam a camera in the pocket, then I'll go with the M5 with the 22 f/2, but I really dislike the powershot UI of the M5 and the fact that it takes forever for the buffer to clear.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sales of the 5D MK IV lite or EOS R will have a lot to do with future DSLR plans. We will likely see a high mp version mirrorless with faster processor and a very few things learned from the R later in the year. Its difficult to believe that there will not be a 5D MK V, but predicted sales of DSLR's and interest in mirrorless will be the key.

I won't be interested in buying one, but that's due to a combination of factors that don't impact most people. I may be interested in a high MP mirrorless particularly if they are aggressive with the price like they are with the RP.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
A 50mpx sans AA-filter 5DV is on my buy list, as is its mirrorless counterpart.
I agree with you Alan, with one proviso. I might be interested in the mirrorless depending on it's low light focusing performance. I don't use this often but I will want it to focus at ISO6400, F2.8 at 1/20th second. This scene was much darker than you see here! Taken with a 70-200L 2.8 IS at 200mm.PepeTheSkunk5202web.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0