My big question is when will Canon be back to be a trendsetter in the technology of digital camera. That is what Canon was and has made them big. The 5D was a symbol for that. The next 5DmkV would be a good chance. The first R model failed in every competition. I am friend of Canon quality and handling, but the technology today of Canon development makes it difficult to stay with them in the future.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
My big question is when will Canon be back to be a trendsetter in the technology of digital camera. That is what Canon was and has made them big. The 5D was a symbol for that. The next 5DmkV would be a good chance. The first R model failed in every competition. I am friend of Canon quality and handling, but the technology today of Canon development makes it difficult to stay with them in the future.
No it doesn't. Because pointless tech specs don't have anywhere near the value as solidity, reliability,handling and optics. In the end a photo is made by light passing through a lens and falling on a sensor. All the rest is just fluff really. Puting fluff above the foundations of a system is hard to comprehend.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say with these new ideas. The competition companies are very well known for technology and quality. I think nobody will serious say that Sony (the technology leader) or Nikon (professional quality) are behind the quality of Canon. But in the new technology they are one or two steps in front. Even Panasonic seems to be in front of Canon with the New S1 and S1R. That is a blame. ...

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I've wondered if a 5DV would ever be announced. One simple reason, they have not gone to a MK "V" for any of their professional camera bodies. While there is no reason Canon could not do this, just that they haven't.

So, I expect something, but maybe with some Canon pizzazz, you know, a 5Dx.

As for the mirrorless component, thinking from a business perspective, Canon is ramping up tooling and technology for mirrorless, but they still have perfectly functional tooling/technology/manufacturing lines for DSLRs. We think about the transition to mirrorless from our perspective. From theirs, I think it makes immanent sense to release a limited generation of DSLRs as long as they continue to sell well.

Upvote 0
My big question is when will Canon be back to be a trendsetter in the technology of digital camera. That is what Canon was and has made them big. The 5D was a symbol for that.
What a strange comment to make. Canon may not be the first in many areas of technology, but they usually get things right first time around. Canon also play the long game with their R&D / marketing. Somethings Canon hold on to (DO lenses for instance). Where Canon excel is in their lens portfolio. There isn't a range that comes close to the quality and breadth of lens options.
When I look at my 5DmkIII and the 5Dmk4...I can't see much improvement is necessary. Most of the technology gains have now been made. I think the days of large megapixel increases with the same iso ability are well over. Sensor tech is about as far as it can be pushed.

The Ef range of camera bodies is fine for the generation of photographers who like using their rear screen to focus...like their iphone. But I can't see many sports or landscape photographers migrating over to the software based AF for a while. It's too immature as a technology.

When I look at the range of Canon cameras and lenses I don't see them behind in any areas. I would say that in a lot of areas they are trail blazing and innovating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes the 5D4 is a very nice camera, I own this. Yes Canon cameras are good. The 5D1 was a big step, the 5D2 was the next big step. The 5D3 and 5D4 was much smaller steps. Owners of Canon lenses are thinking twice before they change, but they do more and more. Beginners are looking for the newest technology and reliable cam for the budget they have. Do you believe they will choose Canon? A few yes, but more and more people prefer other more progressiv brands. I think Canon should be careful, for me personal it seems that Canon ignore that and support the competition with that behavior. Please do not forget what happened with NOKIA, a very sad story. I can not understand, why IBIS is not ready, the 4K crop and the defeatedly sensor against Sony.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yes the 5D4 is a very nice camera, I own this. Yes Canon cameras are good. The 5D1 was a big step, the 5D2 was the next big step. The 5D3 and 5D4 was much smaller steps. Owners of Canon lenses are thinking twice before they change, but they do more and more. Beginners are looking for the newest technology and reliable cam for the budget they have. Do you believe they will choose Canon? A few yes, but more and more people prefer other more progressiv brands. I think Canon should be careful, for me personal it seems that Canon ignore that and support the competition with that behavior. Please do not forget what happened with NOKIA, a very sad story. I can not understand, why IBIS is not ready, the 4K crop and the defeatedly sensor against Sony.
Thank you for your speculation about how well Canon's fullframe mirrorless cameras will do in the market. We shall see whether you are right or not.

Upvote 0

Ha! And I was wondering why no Nikon S lenses have IS/VR. Once Canon R bodies come out with IBIS, Nikon/Sony will be at a disadvantage.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Please do not forget what happened with NOKIA, a very sad story.
And how is the story of Nokia relevant? So far, it doesn't look like Canon is going to outsource their camera development to Microsoft.

By the way, Nokia definitely is not able to make good cameras. The camera on my Nokia 7 Plus (an otherwise very nice phone) is a disaster.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
DSLRs are totally obsolete, that's why, a minute ago, I just ordered a totally obsolete brand new 5D IV :love:to replace my 5D III.
For macro and vintage lenses, I'll buy someday an EOS R hi -resolution.
But nothing presently beats an optical viewfinder (had an EOS R, but the "exotic" planned RF lenses deserve muchas MP)

Upvote 0