5Dc a good option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jdramirez said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a ff option does bring out more vignetting which isn't the biggest problem in the world, but it can turn a good ef lens on a aps-c into a pain to edit on a ff.

For a given lens that's true, but that's a property of wide fov lenses, not full frame. To compare apples to apples, you need to compare equivalent focal lengths (same fov) and either optimal apertures on both bodies, or "equivalent apertures" (e.g. to take into account that you can stop down a bit more and bump ISO if necessary on full frame for the same depth of field and comparable image quality)

Once you do that, it becomes much less clear that you'd expect more vignetting on FF. One thing that you do gain is that Canons wide primes are all FF lenses (and some of these, such as the tilts are outstanding). There's little point (in my opinion) in APS-C users going with FF primes wider than about 35mm because you're paying a staggering amount of money to cover a wider fov than you need.

Upvote 0
5DC is good/better for beginners rather than getting a rebel. However, if you are getting paid, you better get a 5D2 at the very least. 5DC got limitations in low-light. You don't want to compromise your work especially when you are getting paid. Getting paid means you're also setting up yourself for future earnings. If you turned in a sloppy work, you might already blemish your reputation that's just beginning. That said, it's still no guarantee that you'll not turn in a sloppy work even when using a 5D2 but at least it will give you a little bit of a headroom. In my profession (programmer/analyst) we have a saying:

"You are only as good as your last project".

I think it's also true with paid photography.

Upvote 0

JPlendPhoto

Freelance Photographer
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks everyone for your advice! :)

Well this wedding in June I will not be getting paid for it, but yes I guess if I have a regular income paying for a 5D2 shouldn’t be a problem. However, as a photographer who has only used APS-C bodies, I feel I should look at going full frame but I am not sure if spending over twice what the 5Dc costs on a 5D2 is a good use of my money. Is the image quality that different between the two?

I understand the 5Dc is not the best in lowlight, but it can’t be worse than my 450D! I don’t like going up to 1600 on the 450D, even 800 is not great.

If I was to buy a 5Dc I may have enough money next year to buy a 5D3 and keep the 5Dc as a backup, also the 5Dc is the cheapest way to get into/practice with full frame.

So I guess from what I have been reading I have to options, they are:

• Buy a used 5Dc for around £400 and buy an 85mm 1.8 (Which I think will fit in well because my two L lenses are f/4’s - EF 17-40 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L, although I do have a 50mm f1.8 )
OR
• Buy a used 5D2 body only (If anyone knows of any good deals in the UK please let me know!)

Upvote 0
JPlendPhoto said:
If I was to buy a 5Dc I may have enough money next year to buy a 5D3 and keep the 5Dc as a backup, also the 5Dc is the cheapest way to get into/practice with full frame.

So I guess from what I have been reading I have to options, they are:

• Buy a used 5Dc for around £400 and buy an 85mm 1.8 (Which I think will fit in well because my two L lenses are f/4’s - EF 17-40 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L, although I do have a 50mm f1.8 )

This, the way you put it, sounds like the most sensible option. Even if you haven't saved up enough for a 5D3 by next year, you could go for the MkII. Having 2 bodies is always nice, and well, you could also sell the 5Dc at a tiny loss if you find you don't need it.

Upvote 0
I came from an XTi. For all of the creature comforts (AF, menus, features) it was pretty much a lateral move. For you going from one Rebel newer than my old one the only feature you'd be missing out on going to the older camera is the additional integration that the EX II speedlights bring in, but the menus are older looking.

I find the 5D to be on par with my Rebel as far as AF goes. The adverse lighting conditions that affect the Rebel more or less are the same conditions that affect the 5D. The 5D, like all other non-Rebel bodies brings in the ability to swap out the focus screen. I exclusively use the Ee-S precision focusing screen. That plus MTF lenses and the back button feature and all my focusing needs are met. The bigger viewfinder is a help too. If you've survived the 450D's autofocus then you should be just fine on the 5D. Moving subjects probably track a little better but it's not a huge difference. Wether that fits your definition of acceptable is entirely your determination.

ISO performance is about one stop (maybe 1 and 1/3) better than my Rebel. That is to say, if 800 is acceptable on my Rebel then 1600 will be just fine on the 5D. I'll actually use 3200 on the 5D, but for the most part won't touch 1600 on the Rebel unless I'm desperate.

My lenses are: 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 28-135, 40/2.8 The 50 was my go-to lens on the Rebel. I've been spending a lot more time with the 85 whenever I'm shooting with strobes ever since moving to FF. The 40 was purchased as mostly a toy for when I want things the be as compact as possible, but it is amazing when asked. The 50/1.4 is pure magic, pure absolute glowy magic on a 5D.

Upvote 0

once you get a 5D3 you wont want to touch the 5DC...even as a backup. The 5D2 can still hang as a backup to the Mrk3. the 5DC, while a wonderful camera for quite some time, is just not anywhere close to being in the 5D3 neighborhood. at least not for weddings.

if you want to go cheap/low risk...the 5DC will work.

Upvote 0
agierke said:

once you get a 5D3 you wont want to touch the 5DC...even as a backup.

There's a lot of truth to this statement! While I loved my 5DC during its heyday, I'm so spoiled by the 5D3 that I hope I'll never have to touch the Classic again, even as a backup.

Upvote 0
I've heard that the 5Dc IQ actually beats the 1Ds II because of better color definition and better high ISOs, which apparently are the same as the 5D II as some mentioned. At a wedding I'll use flash before using anything above 1250 ISO anyway.

As for handling I hated (hated) the 7D. The 5D II and 6D aren't much better but at least the AF makes sense. I dislike the mushy buttons. Nowhere near 1D/1Ds handling (even the old ones). I've never had a 5Dc but I'd assume it feels like the 20/30D and 1D II with firmer buttons and smoother/less grippy material. More satisfying imho.

And think about resale value. The 5D II will lose a few hundred before the 5Dc loses one hundred.

Upvote 0
Welendlenses said:
I've heard that the 5Dc IQ actually beats the 1Ds II because of better color definition and better high ISOs, which apparently are the same as the 5D II as some mentioned. At a wedding I'll use flash before using anything above 1250 ISO anyway.

As for handling I hated (hated) the 7D. The 5D II and 6D aren't much better but at least the AF makes sense. I dislike the mushy buttons. Nowhere near 1D/1Ds handling (even the old ones). I've never had a 5Dc but I'd assume it feels like the 20/30D and 1D II with firmer buttons and smoother/less grippy material. More satisfying imho.

And think about resale value. The 5D II will lose a few hundred before the 5Dc loses one hundred.

Yes, the 5DC handles much like the 20D. One of the worst aspects of the Classic is the LCD screen. It's not so much the size, but rather the screen's weird colors. I always knew the screen sucked, but after shooting with the 5D3 for the past year, the Classic's screen might as well be black and white!

Upvote 0
Welendlenses said:

Look, the 5Dc is a good budget option. But let's not get carried away. It does NOT have better IQ than the 1Ds Mark II. Anyone who has owned these cameras need not repeat what I just said.

Upvote 0

JPlendPhoto

Freelance Photographer
Jun 26, 2012
I think after some more thought that I will buy the 5D2, this would be for around £999. This is still £500 cheaper than a 6D, that £500 saving is a lot of money to me and if I wanted to I could put that £500 towards a prime lens, I have been impressed with the 135mm f/2. If I was to spend an extra £500 on a 6D I would rather wait and get a 5D3, but for me at this time I feel a 5D2 a good choice.

Yes I know the high ISO is a bit better on the 6D and there is a small difference in image quality, but the 5D2 is still a massive improvement over my 450D. I didn’t hear people complaining about the 5D2’s ISO before the 5D3 and 6D came out, the opposite, people thought it was amazing! I also don’t need wi-fi or gps, plus I prefer the size and feel of the 5D bodies.

:)

Upvote 0
I've been going with 5Dc for some time now, got it around 450 € second hand. If you aren't a professional, I wouldn't put my money on the bodies, and I don't know whether there is that big a difference between 5D and 5DII.

My worst deal ever was to buy 20D new. Now I could only get about 10 % of the price I paid back, and this hasn't changed. I don't want to buy 5DIII for that reason only. If you plan on using 5DII, be prepared to sell it after 5DIV or 6DII comes out, that way you'll probably get most of it back.

Currently I'm just using 5D and 20D until they break, after that it will be the next cheapest FF frame available.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Mika said:
I've been going with 5Dc for some time now, got it around 450 € second hand. If you aren't a professional, I wouldn't put my money on the bodies, and I don't know whether there is that big a difference between 5D and 5DII.

My worst deal ever was to buy 20D new. Now I could only get about 10 % of the price I paid back, and this hasn't changed. I don't want to buy 5DIII for that reason only. If you plan on using 5DII, be prepared to sell it after 5DIV or 6DII comes out, that way you'll probably get most of it back.

Currently I'm just using 5D and 20D until they break, after that it will be the next cheapest FF frame available.

I use both the mk1 and 2. There's probably going to be howls of disagreement, but IMO the mk2 is just the mk1 with 12% more resolution, a much better LCD monitor, video and live view capability. And I suppose I should add that the file transfer rate is much better. At low ISOs I prefer the mk1 data.

Upvote 0
It's not the first time I hear 5D would have better low ISO performance. Haven't seen that many 5DII images to make the call.

But if OP is a professional, then 5DII is pretty clear answer. I can live with the risk of 5D coming apart any day. Professional can't, and that would be enough for me to turn towards 5DII, the probabilities work in its favor. For amateurs I would say to get the original 5D.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.