5DII joystick/multicontroller

7enderbender

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 17, 2011
Boston, MA
So now that we may have seen the first pictures of a new Canon body with a joystick integrated into the battery grip I was wondering what I may be missing. Come to think of it I realized that I never use the thing on my 5DII. How are you guys using it? What other functions would we expect from it that makes it important enough to add a second one to the vertical layout?

eeek

EOS 80D
Oct 19, 2011
Focus point selection. And I am left handed, which makes using the traditional joystick a huge pain with where it is located. I shoot in portrait a lot and have always wanted one on the grip.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I use mine a lot, and am also left handed, but I guess I've learned to feel comfortable using it with my right hand. I son't use it so extensively that I would miss it on a grip, but then, I had a grip and sold it because I did not like it. The integral grip on the 1 Series bodies is fine.

P

Picsfor

use it all the time for AF point selection - even with only 9 points to choose from :eek:

I would be lost without it now, and having a BG with a duplicate for use when holding the camera in portrait mode would be an absolute boon. 8)

If they made a BG for the 5D2 with that feature i would get one tomorrow - if i don't trade up for a newer body with better AF ;)

P

Picsfor

7enderbender said:
Hm, interesting. I only use the main dial to select focus points.
and what's wrong with that?

If it works for you - what's wrong with that? If Canon didn't want you to do it, they wouldn't have provided the option!