5diii to 7dii?

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I would not sell my full frame to step down. You realize that changes the perspective of your lens collection and you would basically have no wide angle coverage.
If you sell the 5D...you "may" have enough money to cover the new 7D II. There will be nothing left to by a prime.
Good primes are not cheap. You are not going to get most of your money back in the sale. The price for 5D's has dropped drastically since introduction.
Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
You're not just changing bodies, you are changing formats.
All your lenses will be 1.6 longer focal length. that may be bad
or good depending on what you need.

Why not consider a Canon 6D which is running around 1500 after rebate?
I own two 6D's and use a 5D mk iii on occasion, they are physically quite
different but the images are tit for tat. I do like the WiFi and GPS tagging
on the 6D. The WiFi allows me to remotely control the camera from my iPad/iPhone.

Upvote 0
Newbreed,
I am a similar situation as you. I have three kids and I don't shoot professionally. But I love the 5D3's. Used to have the original 7D and since going to 5D3, had to sell it (the 7D). I stopped using the 7D altogether and it was just collecting dusk. Since then, I'd been happy shooting with 5D3. The spec on new 7D2 looks great, but I would never let go of my 5D3. If anything, I would get a 6D or another 5D3. Full frame all the way for me.

Upvote 0
silversurfer96 said:
Newbreed,
I am a similar situation as you. I have three kids and I don't shoot professionally. But I love the 5D3's. Used to have the original 7D and since going to 5D3, had to sell it (the 7D). I stopped using the 7D altogether and it was just collecting dusk. Since then, I'd been happy shooting with 5D3. The spec on new 7D2 looks great, but I would never let go of my 5D3. If anything, I would get a 6D or another 5D3. Full frame all the way for me.

I concur. The 7D managed to survive next to my 5DMkII (due to AF performance, not IQ) but the 5DMkIII killed it.

Upvote 0

Datfish

Every Day is a Good Day!..No ??...Try missing one!
Sep 4, 2014
Sydney, Australia
NewBreed!

Don't Do it ..at least not yet!

I bought my 7D 5 years ago for Sports and Travel and after trashing my 400d. I love (d) that 7D, particularly for what it was built for Sports/Action/Wildlife......I have shot 80,000 frames in that time ( Obviously not all keepers!! ;D).
I bought my 5d3 2 yrs ago and have just sold my EF-S lenses to load up on a couple more L's...... Why?....my kids grew up and I'm not shooting action /sports very much nowadays ...now my 7D is now pretty much confined to Telephoto Only when I need it, or as second body when I need it.

The 7D mkii looks AWESOME for what is targetted at ...the same thing as the 7d was.....Sports/Action/Wildlife

The 5D mk iii is a different beast and AWESOME for what it is good at! .... and from what you have said, probably a better camera for what you are going to use it for. PARTICULARLY seeing that you already own it.

That's just my opinion though.....for what it is worth!....the question is always IT DEPENDS on what your purpose is ..moving forward!

PS go have a look at the "comparometer" at Imaging Resource and compare the shots from 7dmii and 5diii for some more "grist" in your decision process.

Upvote 0
I went even further over board and bought a 1DX. It's complete overkill for my needs, I don't shoot professionally, and it's gets far less use than I would like. But would I change it. HELL NO. I'd rather have the functions and ability to get a shot and hopefully grow and learn than be stunted and wishing. Stick with the 5D it's an awesome camera. My 2c.

Upvote 0

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
Not unless you are going to start shooting "motorcross" stick with your 5DMARKIII.
I on the other hand shoot skateboarding and with a Canon 50D,I can't afford a 5D markIII but I can afford that 7D Mark II in November.
Even if you traded your 5DmarkIII you won't get much for it unless it's in "mint" condition, enough to get a 7D Mark II but no lens.
Stick with your 5DMARKIII like others have said.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Newbreed said:
Hello everyone,

I currently using a 5diii with 24-70ii, 70-200ii, 100L, and mp-e 65.

There are times, I believe the 5diii may be an overkill for my needs. I current shoot landscapes with a gigapan and usually my 2 kids playing in the park or taking portraits in a home studio.

I also do not use the 5diii as much as I did when I first bought it. I'm thinking I can sell it for a 7dii and use the rest to invest in a prime lens which I'm missing in my collection.

5diii to 7dii?

Thank you in advance.
"Overkill" is an interesting word. If you're using it, you must find some aspect of your use or output more than you need. Or are you just looking to add another lens to the collection and don't have the cash, hence you think selling will get the job done? Just remember, your lenses will no longer function as you're used to and will be more suited to those who enjoy the fact that a 70-200 has the point of view of 100-ish-300-ish. Unless you pick up a very wide prime, you'll miss the 24 end of the 24-70. And in any case, I'd doubt you'll come out ahead enough to pick up another lens. I don't know the market you live in and it's possible but I see nothing at all wrong with the camera and lens collection you have and you should want for nothing. Enjoy that fact.

I have used the 7D in the past but I long ago decided that I'd shoot FF exclusively and I have no intention of adding crop back to my gear. I most certainly would not exchange my 5D3s for 7D2s but that's because my needs vary from many and possibly yours. In any case, I'd also recommend patience. This camera has just been announced and you might do best to wait for solid reviews and examples of what the camera can and cannot give you (compared to a 5D3's output). If you think you'll sell and have money for a lens, think of how costly things will be if you buy the 7D2 and then discover you miss the 5D3.

Upvote 0
JohnDizzo15 said:
If your goal is to get more money for a prime, I'd say go with a 6D instead as another poster previously stated. That's actually exactly what I did and do not regret it at all.

For the type of shooting you said you do, there really is no "need" for the 5D3. From an IQ standpoint, I also prefer the files out of the 6D for whatever reason. Ever so slightly, but I do.

Also, depending on the deal you get, I'm certain you could probably pocket around 800-1000. I sold my gripped 5D3 earlier in the year for 2600 and bought a 6D for 1400. No brainer for my situation.

The other issue I see with you swapping out for a 7D2 is that it completely changes your lens collection. If one of the main things you do is landscape, you will surely miss the full frame sensor and not having to deal with the 1.6x crop. Even putting landscape aside, it will change the way you use your lenses for everything.

Is there a specific feature of the 7D2 that you feel is necessary for what you do?

+1

Exactly. Selling the 5DIII and picking up a 6D in the $1250 - $1350 range will leave you about $1200 for a nice prime, such as the 135L (about $800 used) and funds for a nice flash.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Newbreed said:
Hello everyone,

I currently using a 5diii with 24-70ii, 70-200ii, 100L, and mp-e 65.

There are times, I believe the 5diii may be an overkill for my needs. I current shoot landscapes with a gigapan and usually my 2 kids playing in the park or taking portraits in a home studio.

I also do not use the 5diii as much as I did when I first bought it. I'm thinking I can sell it for a 7dii and use the rest to invest in a prime lens which I'm missing in my collection.

5diii to 7dii?

Thank you in advance.
Gigapan = stitched shots which means body resolution and crop factor could be less of an issue
Portraits in home studio (I assume) means good lighting so high ISO performance is not a factor and neither is loss of the wide end focal lengths.

I understand your predictament, but I'd still wait for some thorough reviews. The few "AF performance" shots I've seen have not been conclusive for me yet.

What output sizes are you looking for with those kids-playing-in-the-park-shots, where you don't have controlled lighting? To me, that is the only application that you've listed where you could significantly benefit from the 5D-IIIs superior sensor. If it is small prints or scaled down (for web or 4K-TV display) then 7D-II should be sufficient, if these are to be larger prints then 5D-III will have IQ advantage. OTOH, the 7D-II's 10fps gives your 70% more shots to choose that the 5D-III which could mean the difference between capturing that special moment and just missing it... not everyone is Henri Cartier Bresson.

If you're interested in continuous autofocus in video then the DPAF in 7D-II with the EF-S 24mm pancake could be of interest. Should be a cheap lens with decent IQ.

Upvote 0