5DIII underexposing

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Alan!

Does that underexposing happen at any picture or only to a certain % of your pictures?
At what exposure mode and program mode do you shoot?
Do they look underexposed at your pc monitor only or at both camera and monitor?
How does the OOC histogram look like?
With what PP SW do you work? What RAW converter (if you shoot RAW)?

Maybe we can specify your probem ufrthermore befor you just send the body in.

Yours, Maximilian

Upvote 0
5D3 underexposes. It's no secret. So do other Canon bodies too.

I always have compensation in place. It's somewhat annoying that it is not possible to compensate in M mode. And since lifting shadows in pp is a no go with a 5D3, it's always good to expose to the right. This somewhat makes to M mode useless, unless one likes to keep on changing the ISO manually for each and every shot.

Upvote 0
Dick said:

I always have compensation in place. It's somewhat annoying that it is not possible to compensate in M mode. And since lifting shadows in pp is a no go with a 5D3, it's always good to expose to the right. This somewhat makes to M mode useless, unless one likes to keep on changing the ISO manually for each and every shot.

Not sure if you are using M mode correctly. If it were a film camera you wouldn't really have the option of changing ISO. And that really shouldn't be your go to fix. If it's too dark in M mode that means you need to lengthen the shutter speed or open the aperture and those changes can be made way faster and easier than the ISO. Even if you have ISO set to a custom button.

Upvote 0
wyldeguy said:
Dick said:

Not sure if you are using M mode correctly. If it were a film camera you wouldn't really have the option of changing ISO. And that really shouldn't be your go to fix. If it's too dark in M mode that means you need to lengthen the shutter speed or open the aperture and those changes can be made way faster and easier than the ISO. Even if you have ISO set to a custom button.

i'm pretty sure everyone knows that. what is being talked about is that the meter will read a normal exposure with the settings chosen and the files will still be underexposed. what would be great is a way to manually calibrate the meter so that a normal exposure reading would yield a preferably exposed image.

Upvote 0
agierke said:
wyldeguy said:
Dick said:

i'm pretty sure everyone knows that. what is being talked about is that the meter will read a normal exposure with the settings chosen and the files will still be underexposed. what would be great is a way to manually calibrate the meter so that a normal exposure reading would yield a preferably exposed image.

Sorry it just sounded like he was suggesting leaving the shutter and aperture alone and adjusting with ISO. To me it makes more sense to adjust shutter or aperture first based on the effect you are trying to achieve. I understood what the main topic was about I was just pointing out that he was jumping to the last solution first.

Upvote 0