5DIV review from The-digital-picture.com

Oct 26, 2013
dilbert said:
I don't know why people like TDP reviews.

This one, of the 5DIV, is an excellent example of a camera being reviewed without it actually being used. There are no sample shots on the page taken by the reviewer, nothing in it reads as though it is based on first hand experience. Which is to say that anyone here could have written that TDP story on the 5D4.

Which makes it less like a review and more like an extended press piece.

Interesting comment coming from someone who constantly praises Sony (and other non-Canon) cameras without actually using them and with no first-hand experience.

And apparently you didn't even have any first hand experience reading the review, which in the very first sentence mentions that the review is not done and will be updated.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
dilbert said:

This one, of the 5DIV, is an excellent example of a camera being reviewed without it actually being used. There are no sample shots on the page taken by the reviewer, nothing in it reads as though it is based on first hand experience. Which is to say that anyone here could have written that TDP story on the 5D4.

Interesting comment coming from someone who constantly praises Sony (and other non-Canon) cameras without actually using them and with no first-hand experience.

And apparently you didn't even have any first hand experience reading the review, which in the very first sentence mentions that the review is not done and will be updated.

Ok, but in this particular case, is he wrong? I would say no.

This is a good overview/preview... but it is in no way a review, and for all the reasons dilbert stated.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
dak723 said:
dilbert said:

This is a good overview/preview... but it is in no way a review, and for all the reasons dilbert stated.

He's wrong because if you go back and read all of the other reviews from TDP you'll see that they involve large numbers of test shots and pretty exhaustive first hand experience. This is clearly not the actual review but just an extended preview, the initial post even indicated that.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
raptor3x said:
bvukich said:
dak723 said:
dilbert said:

He's wrong because if you go back and read all of the other reviews from TDP you'll see that they involve large numbers of test shots and pretty exhaustive first hand experience. This is clearly not the actual review but just an extended preview, the initial post even indicated that.

Dilbert, as usual, hasn't read the review. Bryan usually writes in the 3rd person but it is obvious to anyone who reads his other reviews that he has done several tests and measurements on the camera. He even writes at one point in the first person: "In this light flicker test, I shot at 1/500, 1/1000 (as shown) and 1/2000 seconds."

Dilbert is the archetypal example of someone who writes with zero knowledge and understanding and with complete disregard of evidence.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
My favourite reviewer, Bryan at TDP, has released his 5DIV review. It is a review in the making, so it is not complete yet.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx

Thanks for sharing. He's my favourite DSLR camera and lens reviewer too. When it comes to reading reviews I really now only read TDP's website for Canon DSLRs and lenses, and Newsshooter for the camcorder/video side of things.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
raptor3x said:

Indeed, the current article would make sense as an extended preview (and I would not take exception to its content and format were it so titled) but that's not what it is being called. It is being called a review.
Dilbert, I usually leave your posts alone, but this time I´ll give you some help; Read the first sentence in the link I attached. It says:
"The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has been announced and is in my hands and this review is actively being updated. Check back frequently to follow the updates."
So even you, who claim to have read the first part of it, should have been able to comprehend that this is a review that is in the making.

The good thing about TDP and Bryan is that he avoids all the incompetent and often irrelevant comparisons to all other brands out there. He does not claim to be an Nikon or Sony expert, so he compares to other Canon cameras, where he is an expert. He provides very solid measurements, with loads of opportunity to compare with other bodies or lenses and he provides real world shooting experiences. Go and have a look at some of the completed reviews and also check some of the links to the right of the initial image of the camera, you´ll find very thorough reviews.

But of course, since they are thorough reviews, you need to read the whole thing and not just a single paragraph here and there ...

A last, but very good point; Every review is based on a product he procures through regular commercial channels, which secures his independence. That cannot be said about a number of other (half-qualified) reviewers.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
Read the first sentence in the link I attached. It says:
"The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has been announced and is in my hands and this review is actively being updated. Check back frequently to follow the updates."
So even you, who claim to have read the first part of it, should have been able to comprehend that this is a review that is in the making.

I'll mention that the inclusion of that sentence would appear to be one of those updates.

The good thing about TDP and Bryan is that he avoids all the incompetent and often irrelevant comparisons to all other brands out there. He does not claim to be an Nikon or Sony expert, so he compares to other Canon cameras, where he is an expert.

No wonder he is a favorite here at CR!

He provides very solid measurements, with loads of opportunity to compare with other bodies or lenses and he provides real world shooting experiences. Go and have a look at some of the completed reviews and also check some of the links to the right of the initial image of the camera, you´ll find very thorough reviews.

Lets see, I click on this page:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Reviews.aspx

"rebate, buy, rent, rebate, buy rent, rebate ..."

and sorry, am I in a shopping mall or a website doing reviews?

But of course, since they are thorough reviews, you need to read the whole thing and not just a single paragraph here and there ...

Although I referred to paragraphs here and there, they were by and large reflective of the current content. And they were by no means selective. If you were to number the paragraphs in the "review" and select a number at random, the predominate content returned would not be review material.

A last, but very good point; Every review is based on a product he procures through regular commercial channels, which secures his independence. That cannot be said about a number of other (half-qualified) reviewers.

I think this has been discussed to death elsewhere but to summarize, it simply isn't economical for vendors to supply "special review versions" of cameras and lenses to reviewers.

The-digital-picture is the go-to site for those who use Canon products. It carefully tabulates data, everything from the weights of bodies, the characteristics of their sensors, his own measurements on noise etc, the working weights of lenses, careful shots of standard charts for comparative purposes etc. He gives a balanced opinion on products. His standard technique when a new body is announced is to add the new data to the Tables and give a preview. He then updates the preview over the course of a week or two after he has bought the camera until it becomes a proper review.

He also goes back and tests previously tested lenses on new bodies - he has a sufficient stock of his own lenses to do this on popular lenses - so you can see the results from 1DSIII, 60D, 7DII and 5DS R.

You don't use Canon cameras and lenses but just criticise them through second-hand information so you would not appreciate why us Canon users like the-digital-picture as the major source of readily accessible information on present and past Canon products.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
AlanF said:
His standard technique when a new body is announced is to add the new data to the Tables and give a preview. He then updates the preview over the course of a week or two after he has bought the camera until it becomes a proper review.

Which is to say that at this point in time, it is not a proper review and thus should not be referred to as such.

When you consider that by Bryan's own admission the review is not yet finished, and despite that already contains more useful info than most other "reviews" on the net then you will perhaps begin to understand just how in-depth and useful his reviews are. I have never seen any better Canon DSLR and Canon Lens review on the internet - which is hardly surprising considering the amount of work which goes into each and every one.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
Read the first sentence in the link I attached. It says:
I'll mention that the inclusion of that sentence would appear to be one of those updates.
Yes, that line has been updated. The previous version told us that he had not yet received the camera, so all information and analysis at that stage was based on the specification. Now he has got the camera and his review process has started, from which he shares his initial findings and tells us that there is more to come. Which any person, regardless of IQ, should appreciate.

And yes, TDP is also getting revenue from folks buying stuff through the provided links. Just lik Art Morris, Dustin Abbott, Tony Northrup, DPR .... and all the rest of them. But he is the only one who buys every single item he reviews through commercial channels, which gives him more credibility than others.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Eldar said:
But he is the only one who buys every single item he reviews through commercial channels, which gives him more credibility than others.

To be fair, not every single item. But he mentions up-front items provided rather than purchased, I can count the number of such items on one hand, and they're things like camera bags or small accessories.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
dilbert said:
expatinasia said:
When you consider that by Bryan's own admission the review is not yet finished, and despite that already contains more useful info than most other "reviews" on the net then you will perhaps begin to understand just how in-depth and useful his reviews are.

If a review isn't finished then it shouldn't be marketed as a review, irrespective of how good or bad it eventually is.

For Canon Gear TDP to me is the best buying guide out there, compellingly summarizing and comparing Canon gear to each other and pointing to Canon alternatives. Yes, he tries to do that for a living, thus linking to commercial sites; yet he is also very open about that. He is no bullshit whatsoever. If someone has a problem with what he is doing, the the problem is surely not Bryan.

Upvote 0