5DIV v 5DV v 5D-M

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BillB said:
Quite a while ago, there was a rumor (or some Canon official said) that a new sensor was being developed for FF mirrorless. No guarantees, but a new sensor seems likely to be highendish.

The 6D2 had a new sensor as well. ::)

But even if it was a groundbreaking new sensor, what if that nice sensor is stuck in a body with...

• Only 5 fps
  • Some features locked out unless you get native thin-mount lenses
  • A tiny viewfinder (or no integral VF at all, remember the first three EOS M models didn't have one!)
  • A tiny grip ill-suited for large EF glass or a large battery
  • Fairly inexpensive plastic body
  • No 4K

I'm obviously frankensteining something unattractive above, but Canon might walk before it runs in this space and put out something with relatively limited appeal just to scoop up early adopters and work out the kinks before something slick/polished is ever brought forward.

- A

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
ahsanford said:
As far as timing of future bodies goes, I'll be super brave ::) and say a FF mirrorless ILC system will be offered before a 5D5, which one does not think we'd see until the 2020-2021 neighborhood.

...but there's zero guarantee the first FF ILC body from Canon will have a 5D-level feature set. If the EOS M platform is any indication, they very well may go from bottom to top. They could try to scoop up enthusiasts with a 6D-level mirrorless body before they try to court professionals with a 5D-level or 1DX-level mirrorless body.

- A

Then it will have a new mount and a frustratingly limited selection of slow zooms :p

Upvote 0
Thanks Ahsanford and others. Given i've always said this is based on the balance of probabilities, and given Canon have already taken a slow and steady approach to the development of their FF range - i would think the ability to learn from Sony and ensure it remains on top of the heap, knowing Nikon is also feverishly developing their own first FF camera, would surely mean this would be for the EF mount.

I would also agree it's whether it would be of 5D quality that is the unknown factor here - but why wouldnt it be? Surely Sony has now reached 1D quality with its A9 in terms of speed et cetera.

I'm not sure what being late to the party would achieve for Canon at the FF mirrorless level if it's not at the level people are all now expecting. I get they fear it could mean a cannibilisation of their 5D market - but surely that wouldnt be the case, as they are market leaders. Surely all it means is that those thinking of switching to another system now remain and it gives Canon opportunity to merely further develop the mirrorless technology over a period of time?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
Then it will have a new mount and a frustratingly limited selection of slow zooms with their native mirrorless mount lens offerings, but a houseload of awesome professional lenses will work from day one.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Unlike with EOS M, which lacks high quality EF-S glass to adapt, any Canon mirrorless FF offering will have world class glass from day one.

Unless you want world class and native mount from day one, which (a) isn't happening and (b) won't be that small -- only a handful of lenses will lead to smaller aggregate footprint (think pancakes, 35 f/2, 50 1.8, etc.) will you actually save much aggregate space for that sexy thin mount -- if we even get that thin mount.

- A

Attachments

• Mirrorless vs SLR copy.jpg
    Mirrorless vs SLR copy.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0