5DIV: Very high Battery consumption when using GPS

I use the 5DIV wth two original Canon E6N batteries, but when I activate the GPS, both battieres are empty after 2-3 hours (even if I do not take an photo in this time). When shooting with activated GPS (Gps signal is always just blinking in the top monitor), after 1 hour the batteries are empty.

In the GPS menu, the GPS-Information menu can not be displayed. Changing the GPS update interval does not influence battery draining. Also no influence when changing the Modus. Activated GPS means empty batteries in 2-3h

Can you help me please? Canon support did not know how to deal with this, as the main serviceman who is able to handle the 5DIV is on holiday....

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
xps said:
iaind said:
Had same problem with 7d2. Just switch it on when needed.
I´m not sure if there is an hardware problem. The GPS sign is just binking. It does not get the GPs positiion.

If you are indoors or under heavy tree cover, surrounded by buildings, etc, you will not get a GPS lock. Try it somewhere with a decent view of the sky.....

Upvote 0

CSD

Photographer, WP Developer, and IT Geek.
Sep 3, 2015
Scotland
GPS is a battery hog in almost all devices, even mobile phones will use A-GPS rather than full GPS to get a broad bearing to save power. There's also the question of how efficient the GPS antennae is for satellite tracking and getting a positioning reading and/or does the camera keep the last known position to save power and getting a satellite lock.

As always disable GPS unless you need it specifically for locations, and always carry spare batteries. This is the standard advice for any GPS device. Always get clear of tall buildings/tower blocks, trees and any radio masts all of which can block or interfere with signals.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
xps said:
iaind said:
I´m not sure if there is an hardware problem. The GPS sign is just binking. It does not get the GPs positiion.

If you are indoors or under heavy tree cover, surrounded by buildings, etc, you will not get a GPS lock. Try it somewhere with a decent view of the sky.....

Clear sky over me. I was in plain area. Nothing around that could interfer

Upvote 0
CSD said:
GPS is a battery hog in almost all devices, even mobile phones will use A-GPS rather than full GPS to get a broad bearing to save power. There's also the question of how efficient the GPS antennae is for satellite tracking and getting a positioning reading and/or does the camera keep the last known position to save power and getting a satellite lock.

As always disable GPS unless you need it specifically for locations, and always carry spare batteries. This is the standard advice for any GPS device. Always get clear of tall buildings/tower blocks, trees and any radio masts all of which can block or interfere with signals.

I was used ofthis option from 6D, 7DII. But the drain is three to four times higher than known from my older cams.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
xps said:
Don Haines said:
xps said:
iaind said:

Clear sky over me. I was in plain area. Nothing around that could interfer
The first time it is turned on, GPS can take a long time to find a satellite..... but 30 minutes should be the extreme end of the scale..... You also need to have 5 satellites visible, but if you are in the middle of a field you should have more than that easily....

Try borrowing a handheld GPS (garmin or the like) and try to get both devices to sync at the same time..... the handheld will tell you how many satellites are visible and the signal strength, and if you still get no luck with the camera with the handheld showing good coverage, snap a picture of the handheld display and send it on in to Canon support.... you may have a bad GPS module and can get a warranty replacement.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
The GPS on any camera will effect the battery life but I don't notice this kind of extreme. I use the GPS on my 7DII when traveling and if I remember to turn it off at the end of the day I can get a full day or two of shooting. Sometimes I have forgot and will start shooting the second day and have to change batteries. Certainly I notice a difference between it and my 7D but not to the extreme mentioned here.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi xps.
I found the first lock on my 7DII took ages, and does again if I move by considerable distances (hundreds of miles) before turning it on. Also the battery disappears fast when it can't get a lock, but day to day re acquisition only takes a couple of minutes. There is one thing I have found that appears to hinder signal lock and that is carrying the camera on a sling strap by the tripod mount screw, i.e. upside down, in this condition it won't get gps lock and hammers the battery, turn it right way up and let it lock on and then let it dangle and it stays locked on!
If the GPS stays flashing when you set it to off in the menu that would seem to indicate a problem.

Hopefully Canon will do a firmware update adding a mode 2 off condition to the other GPS enabled cameras like the 6D and 7DII so that we don't have to keep going to menus to enable disable GPS.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
johnf3f said:
Just saw Corydoras post - WOW my 7D2 has GPS! I never knew that! I will never turn it on but it is nice to know that part of the purchase price was wasted on something that I have no use for.

Perhaps I am just missing something (quite possibly) but don't photographers know where they are? Or were?
For me at work, GPS is the most useless function that Canon ever included..... I work in an RF shielded building and there is no signal. Even cell phones do not work...... Plus, when the photos are processed all the metadata is wiped :)

Upvote 0