5DMIII or 5DMII + Lenses, from a 550D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hgascoigne

Hello,

I've owned a 550D since its launch and I am beginning to get very serious about my photography. I'm looking to go from being a hobbyist to at least a part-time paid shooter. My main focus is landscape, portraits, events, and documentary film work. I don't shoot sports very often, but it's one of those things where when I do need good AF, I want it there.

My glass consists of a EF 50 1.4, EF 24-105, and a Tokina 11-16. My budget is 3.5k... the price of a MIII.

My question to you all is would it better to put all of my money towards the MIII, or a MII and a lens like the 70-200 2.8? I plan on selling my 550D+Grip to contribute towards this purchase. I feel like the MIII would be a better investment in the long run, but more glass is always nice.

I know there were a lot of words in there, but I appreciate any advice you can give a fellow photographer! If there is any other info you need about my needs/shooting style, let me know!

K

kalmiya

I'm very much in the same boat as you and also looking at a 5D2 currently owning a 550D - figuring out if it's a worthwhile upgrade (value-for-money).

Concerning using the 5D2 for sports and AF, I started a thread here yesterday to get a feel for how the AF of these cameras compares. Short story: The AF of the 5D2 is identical that of the 550D.

From that point the decision is 'easy': Are you satisfied with the current AF on the 550D? Then you'll get the same in the 5D2 and it's an option. If you are not satisfied with the current AF you have to chose between FF ( 5D III - with it's current price-tag and improved AF) or if you don't need FF then the 7D would be able to handle your needs.

Several people indicate that in their oppinion the IQ on the 5D - series is better then the 7D series. So if you 'occasionally' shoot sports and do landscape/portrait 'most of the time' - then the 5D2 might be worthwhile (at least cheaper then the 5D III - and you can always trade up in a year when the price of the Mk3 goes down).

See the thread here for more details on comparing the AF of the 550D to the 5D2 :
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3996.0.html

Upvote 0
portraits and events no contest 5Dmk2
especially if its paid work, I think there will be quite a few low actuation 5Dmk2 coming up for sale on the second hand market

While I am one of the biggest critics of the 5Dmk2 AF the center point is very capable and you need to change your shooting style to suit if you come from a 1D or something much better, since you shoot with the 550 you will be familiar with the AF limitations and even find the 5Dmk2 center point better especially when you put fast glass on it.

all depends on your budget as glass is going to far exceed the cost of the body and the sky is the limit when you go nuts buying L glass so with your landscape, portraiture and events i would recomend starting with the 16-35 f2.8L II the 85 f1.8 and the 50 f1.4, you could go with the 135 f2 instead of the 85 but i really like the 85 for weddings 135 is a bit long i find but its a beautiful lens

sorry i re-read your post definately the 5DII and 16-35 and go for the 85f1.8 it might go over your budget a bit but will be worth it save up and get the 70-200 later with using your feet the 85 can do everything that lens can at an event

Upvote 0
C

crasher7

I just went from a 550D to a 7D. I like the reach and love the 10-22. I took a good hard look at my Aperture Vault and searched for certain parameters such as focal length and starred shots. I found even though my main lens is a 24-70, a favorite on a FF body, the shots which were most creatively composed and acquired were with the crop lens or due to the 320 reach of the 200 on the 1.6.

I too shoot a wide variety of subjects ranging from Cyclocross, Road Racing, children, landscapes, Street/Architecture. I found that the 7D's AF and a crop's reach were instrumental in getting my shots. Depending on what you shoot, going FF could mean needing longer pipes. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
I don't feel that anyone can sensibly answer this one until the reviews have been completed. My approach to this is that the 5D2 isn't going to disappear overnight, look at what more you can put aside over the next 12 months and work back from there. You are short on the long end, a f4 70-200mm IS might be a useful addition, or perhaps considered something that would extend your shooting options, leaving the decision on the 5D3 until later in the year after the prices have dropped a little and the reviews have highlighted the real world differences

Upvote 0
hgascoigne said:
Thank you all for the input. I think that getting a MII now will be best and then moving up to a MIII later on once prices have hopefully lowered. My only worry is the AF as my 550D's AF has been hit or miss on some occasions.
you will find the center point destroys the AF of the 550 especially if you use fasat glass f2.8 or faster dont worry about the outer points though just stick to center point focus and compose method
also enable the 6 invisible af assist points for AI Servo it makes a difference
the center point is pretty decnt on the 5d2
it all depends what you are trying to achieve with it though
know its limitations and work within them and it'll all be fine

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.