5dmkii june '10 firmware update for manual film control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

Sorry this is a really noob question. Can you change the aperture on the 5dmkii whilst filming (to shift the DOF) with a canon L lens? Did the latest firmware update give full manual control to do that? Or do you still need a manual Lens with f stops on the ring to do it? Also if the firmware update allows you to do it, how smooth and accessible is it whilst filming? Anybody got any examples? I cant find any clear information i understand and its frustrating me!

Thanks again!

Craig

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
The 5D MK II will let you change the aperture during shooting if you are using full manual control. The image will get darker or brighter, so if you are trying to change depth of field, you will also need to change the accordingly.

The 5D MK II is not a camcorder, and Canon specifically recommends that you do not change the aperture during shooting, but they allow you to do it if you want.

Upvote 0
A

able

Using cinematography terminology, a 'fadeout' occurs when you stop down and a 'fadein' occurs when you stop up. The technique is used to perform a time transition where you move from one scene to another scene. A similar technique called a dissolve occurs when you put the lens out of focus in one scene and back in focus for a different scene. It too is used to perform a time transition.

Upvote 0

FatDaddyJones

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Dec 24, 2010
The 7D also allows full manual control during video to change the ISO aperture and shutter speed settings, but the changes are so drastic during shooting, you won't want to do it. Set the right exposure before shooting. Stop and change it each time the lighting situation changes (i.e. Indoor and Outdoor), although you CAN change it on the fly if necessary.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your thoughts. I was wanting to mess about with an idea but was a silly thought I guess. I wanted to have a razor thin dof on a subject so the background was too blurred to really see what was there clearly. Then slowly put the aperture up to increase the size of the dof so that the subject would stay in focus and then the background would come into focus with the subject. But I guess light issues make this impossible. Thanks for ur time anyways.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.