Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Go back, read what I wrote. I'm simply not ready for a full frame.

I took your original statement to be saying that the reason you hadn't pulled the trigger on a FF body was because you were waiting for one with at least 50MP.

By contrast, I don't have ANY full frame camera right now, so I will probably just wait for a higher-res body as well, before taking the plunge. If I ever do. I do intend to get the M6 mk II as soon as I am convinced there won't be an M5 mk II...and that will be a 32MP camera. I can't quite see getting a full frame with fewer pixels than that now (though I don't necessarily want 80+ MP--40 or 50 would work out well I think).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Again, the latter half of that comment could lead one to think that 50 MP is what you consider "higher res."

Fair enough. But I do want it in a mirrorless body. And waiting for such to exist fits my purposes, to wit: I don't think my photographic skills justify a full frame at this point. I *have* at least stopped buying non full-frame lenses (other than M series), to prepare for the move when it happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have several rolls of velvia, provia, and a few black and white films in 120 and 35mm I need to use up right now in fact.

My first foray into film (since I was a youngster)....has been my recent ONDU pinhole camera I bought off kickstarter not long back.

I was enticed by being able to shoot medium format.....and for a very reasonable price. So, I've shot some 120Film....B&W from Kodak first (Tri-X 400), at 6x12 sizing.

I've not yet taken them to a local place I found that will develop them to negative for $5/roll.....but so far, I've had fun shooting and trying to figure out exposures, etc.

If I continue on this road, if I were to shoot MORE film, I'm only going to be doing it in formats that my DSLR won't do.....so, only medium format, mostly panos or maybe even large format.

I've been looking and seeing very reasonable 4x5 cameras, bellows the whole shmear in the $350 or so range, that with about $800 you can get a 120 adapter to shoot 6x17 on them, and I like the thought of shooting wide panos, with no stitching....so far I've seen:

Intrepid 4x5
and
Standard Camera , and this one is interesting as that they have an option to buy the plans for 3D printing it....looking into getting the other non-printable parts right now to see how feasible it is.

But yeah, film is interesting....but I"d really only do it to get into larger formats that you can't really do on modern digital cameras...at least on a semi-reasonable budget.....

ON the other hand, I just got the RRS set up for mult-row panos I hope to play with this weekend....for some reason, panos and really WIDE stuff is appealing to me over just regular shots.

Oh....ramble mode off.

C

Upvote 0
Gentlemen,

New here so a bit of background: using a camera for 70 years, switched to Canon some three years ago, a 70D. Currently take night HS football as the school sports photographer where the light is abysmal using the 5D4. That will change tomorrow.

Jjust got a M6 mark2 and at home tests reveal, to my old eyes, the ISO 12800 (which I have to use for the night games) noise is not greater than the 5d. So far, I really like the M6, light weight, can use any of my Canon glass, fast (it does actually burst at 14fps), and the EVF is, for me, a no sweat affair. Will shoot first game tomorrow and what will really help is the focus point lighting up when in focus. I tested this last night and it worked fine. If anyone is interested I will post a few images Sat.

Best Regards,

Jack Sciutti

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Gentlemen,

New here so a bit of background: using a camera for 70 years, switched to Canon some three years ago, a 70D. Currently take night HS football as the school sports photographer where the light is abysmal using the 5D4. That will change tomorrow.

Jjust got a M6 mark2 and at home tests reveal, to my old eyes, the ISO 12800 (which I have to use for the night games) noise is not greater than the 5d. So far, I really like the M6, light weight, can use any of my Canon glass, fast (it does actually burst at 14fps), and the EVF is, for me, a no sweat affair. Will shoot first game tomorrow and what will really help is the focus point lighting up when in focus. I tested this last night and it worked fine. If anyone is interested I will post a few images Sat.

Best Regards,

Jack Sciutti
Jack - what was your primary reason for switching to the M6 mk2?
Like you I am using a 5D mk4 to take sports pictures, often in very poor light. The lens I am using is a 100-400 F4.6-5.6L mk2
I do not have any focussing problems with this combination even when the light is very bad.
Frequently I allow the camera to go to ISO 32000 in order to achieve a fast enough shutter speed. Although the pictures are rather messy at this ISO it is better than missing the key moment in the game or lowering the shutter speed and ending up with blurry photos. Are you saying that the M6 mk2 is no better than a 5D mk4 in this respect so the main advantage to you is the smaller body size or do you think the results are better than anything you can achieve with the 5D mk4?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Like you I am using a 5D mk4 to take sports pictures, often in very poor light. The lens I am using is a 100-400 F4.6-5.6L mk2
I do not have any focussing problems with this combination even when the light is very bad.
Frequently I allow the camera to go to ISO 32000 in order to achieve a fast enough shutter speed. Although the pictures are rather messy at this ISO it is better than missing the key moment in the game or lowering the shutter speed and ending up with blurry photos. Are you saying that the M6 mk2 is no better than a 5D mk4 in this respect so the main advantage to you is the smaller body size or do you think the results are better than anything you can achieve with the 5D mk4?

Might you consider buying some faster glass for poor lighting situations?

Just a thought....

HTH,

C

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Gentlemen,

Best Regards,

Jack Sciutti

Thank you for this...I'm definitely getting an M6 II as soon as I give up hope of there being an M5 II. (I've got EF->EF-M adapters on the way. I found them cheap enough I can just pick my favorite EF lenses and park adapters on them.)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

Yeah, I’ve used my 5D4 on some ice shows in the past and the lighting was so bad that even at 2.8 I needed 10,000 ISO to stop the action. Fortunately the shots are surprisingly usable at that setting (although nowhere near optimal).

I used to use a 7D for the same purpose and on that, 3200 ISO was the absolute ceiling. The “extra reach” at 200mm was nice, but high ISO performance (not just in terms of noise) trumps all now...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Gentlemen,

Best Regards,

Jack Sciutti

What apertures and Tv are you using that requires 12800? I've shot at some pretty dinky fields and never needed to go past ISO 5000 to get 1/800 at f/2.8.

201811099001QPLR.JPG

ISO 3200, 1/800, f/2.8; 7D Mark II + EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II cropped from before resized for web viewing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Gentlemen,

Best Regards,

Jack Sciutti

I couldn't imagine working HS football sidelines with a viewfinder that is an external accessory sitting in the hot shoe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wanted to try the lighted focus spot as on the 5d4 my old eyes can track a player just fine but the focus points (5) are hard to see. Also, the lighter weight appealed to me which means with the 70-200 2.8 I will use tonight the combination GC (center of gravity - I am an old pilot) will be forward so I'll use a mono-pod. My experience with the 5d has been that 12800 ISO is about as high as I would like to go and I do use auto ISO. I tried a test on a moving car with little ambient light Thursday and, indeed, I could see the lighted focus point (spot) just fine.
Tonight will be an interesting test, both for noise and how well I track a running back or safety. Will let you know tomorrow how well the little camera performs. naturally, the 5d is my backup.

Thanks for your reply and input.

Jack

Oh, I forgot - the 1.6 crop gives me a 2.8 320 2.8 so I will have additional reach.

Attachments

• catch (1740 x 1160).jpg
    catch (1740 x 1160).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Once in my twenties when I could finally afford a single-lens reflex, it was so cool. I could look through the actual lens. Almost 50 years later, I am not ready to give that up. And, yes, I have small cameras that give me a TV picture on the screen on the back. My DSLRs can do that, too, when I wish. Sometimes you want to see things in person, and sometimes you want to watch TV. My newest camera even has a popup EVF for when the light is too bright to see the screen on the back. The diopter setting is too fussy to get the view very sharp. I doubt I'll find it usable for manual focusing. Luckily on that small a lens, focus is not that critical. If one eye of the subject is in focus, the other eye will almost surely be in focus.
I'm waiting for, um, probably Sony to introduce a mirrorless camera that you can watch NetFlix in the EVF and have a keypad on the back screen to text with....the youngun's will eat that model up!!!!!

Upvote 0