5DSR mark2

Oct 29, 2012
With all the understandable mirrorless buzz, I am wondering what the status of the 5DSR mark 2 is. I remember reading that a "faster than usual" upgrade to this was coming, presumably to incorporate a current generation sensor (and hopefully tilt/flip screen a la D850 or 6D2), no aa filter, DPAF etc. Haven't heard much about this for a while.

I personally look forward to this as much as a FF mirrorless offering.

Either one with a new generation sensor somewhere around 45-50 MP would be great, but I wonder if that sensor in a proven DSLR vs a first generation new body may be better.

Hope there is both for us to debate and agonize over.

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With all the understandable mirrorless buzz, I am wondering what the status of the 5DSR mark 2 is. I remember reading that a "faster than usual" upgrade to this was coming, presumably to incorporate a current generation sensor (and hopefully tilt/flip screen a la D850 or 6D2), no aa filter, DPAF etc. Haven't heard much about this for a while.

I personally look forward to this as much as a FF mirrorless offering.

Either one with a new generation sensor somewhere around 45-50 MP would be great, but I wonder if that sensor in a proven DSLR vs a first generation new body may be better.

Hope there is both for us to debate and agonize over.
It's been crickets in regards to a 5DS follow-up for quite some time.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
I'm looking forwards to one as well. I'd happily get a MkI secondhand at the moment, I just saw a very well kept low count one for $2,195, but I have kind of fallen for the newer generation sensors along with built in WiFi etc etc and would rather get a MkII with all the toys and keep it for a long time rather than get a current model and end up with gear lust or trading it out.

Feb 28, 2013
The current camera has few weaknesses but the obvious ones are better low light performance and better dynamic range. Canon will likely make the AF & metering changes it added to the 5D MKIV but these are minor. I shoot with my 5DS mainly in the studio with strobes a faster sync speed would be handy but not a deal breaker given I can shoot HS with my Elinchrom strobes. The frame rate for some should come into line with the 5D MKIV and utilise a bigger buffer. Lastly Wi-Fi needs to be incorporated along with NFC.