5DSr successor

Zeidora said:
Maiaibing said:
Zeidora said:
I like the current 5DsR quite a bit.
- Tilt screen? no thanks. It adds bulk, and adds stuff that can break.
Stats show that they break no more than fixed screens.
Care to elaborate? The hinge on a hinged screen can break, while it cannot on a fixed one because it does not exist. So how can the hinge break at the same rate?
True, but the risk is quantifiable and can be mitigated through good design. The memory card door is also hinged, but we don't insist on built-in only flash memory. I believe LensRentals stated some time ago that the incidence of damage to the tilt screens was very low, and they should know.

Upvote 0
Zeidora said:
Maiaibing said:
Zeidora said:
I like the current 5DsR quite a bit.
- Tilt screen? no thanks. It adds bulk, and adds stuff that can break.
Stats show that they break no more than fixed screens.
Care to elaborate? The hinge on a hinged screen can break, while it cannot on a fixed one because it does not exist. So how can the hinge break at the same rate?
Because your logic is failed. Backside of moveable screen serves to protect it much better. BTW, you hear very little about broken flippy screens - as you do for broken flat screens.

Anyway. More importantly, Lensrentals ran the stats based on their 10.000's of camera rentals and found no discernible difference in the failure rate between the two.

Upvote 0
I have a 5Dsr and love the big, raw files it produces. But I'd like to see six major improvements:

One: The camera is too big and heavy. Pare it down to the size and weight of a 5Dm4.

Two: Though I know people will say this is contradictory, I want a full, flippy, variangle touchscreen like that on the 6D2. It's strong and reliable, adds very little to the size and weight, and is immensely useful for still photography, as well as for video.

Three: the buffering time of the present camera is way too slow. Of course, it takes some time to deal with the big files, but hopefully improvements in circuitry and memory cards can make the next generation 5Dsr faster.

Four: Along those lines, we need card slots (two, please) that take faster, newer generation card types.

Five: I hardly ever shoot video, but the almost total lack of 4k in 6D2 and the very poor implementation of it in the 5D4 is outrageous and dumb. Canon has to compete with Sony, Fuji and Lumix, and while Canon cannot be expected to deliver enormous, 50 MP, full frame, 4k in this camera, it has got to give videographers and hybrid photographers something in 4k that they can use and which is competitive.

Six: Better low-light performance. Hopefully the 6D2 will be a low-light champion, but improvements in the 5Dsr would also be very welcome.

Please note that I'm not asking for more megapixels, though Canon will probaly add a few. More important now, I think, is lowlight capability, dynamic range, and a bigger buffer.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
Zeidora said:
Maiaibing & Orangutan. Could you provide a link to the alleged Lensrental statement? googling did not find anything. Thanks!

I couldn't find the exact reference, but found some quotes on another website: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56827252

That that FWIW.
That is the documentation. Their email to someone who asked.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Maiaibing said:
Orangutan said:
Zeidora said:
Maiaibing & Orangutan. Could you provide a link to the alleged Lensrental statement? googling did not find anything. Thanks!

I couldn't find the exact reference, but found some quotes on another website: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56827252

That that FWIW.
He actually takes the 5th on it. I also wonder why 1D series do not have it, if it is such a great thing. Might it have something to do with reliability? And it certainly adds bulk. My point stands.

Upvote 0
Zeidora said:
Maiaibing said:
Orangutan said:
Zeidora said:

That that FWIW.
He actually takes the 5th on it. I also wonder why 1D series do not have it, if it is such a great thing. Might it have something to do with reliability? And it certainly adds bulk. My point stands.
Fact denial is unquestionably in the vogue. So I guess its become OK. Your loss.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Maiaibing said:
Zeidora said:
Maiaibing said:
Orangutan said:
Zeidora said:

That that FWIW.
Fact denial is unquestionably in the vogue.
On this one we agree.

Upvote 0
Zeidora said:
- Tilt screen? no thanks. It adds bulk, and adds stuff that can break. If you need some alternate view points, you can use your smart phone via wireless, or third party device.

If there are no cell towers around, can a smart phone or pad be used? It sounds a bit fiddly, but then I could also have a wildflower encyclopedia with me on my hikes, so I am warming to the idea.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
Zeidora said:
- Tilt screen? no thanks. It adds bulk, and adds stuff that can break. If you need some alternate view points, you can use your smart phone via wireless, or third party device.

If there are no cell towers around, can a smart phone or pad be used? It sounds a bit fiddly, but then I could also have a wildflower encyclopedia with me on my hikes, so I am warming to the idea.

Using a smartphone is nice when you have time - pairing doesn't always works or is fast-, and when you can prop your camera. You can have an articulating screen that also locks down against the body via a latch and that'd be best of both worlds.

As for a cell tower, you use the phone's wifi to connect to the camera, mine looses cell connectivity when it pairs so a tower wouldn't help

Upvote 0