6 unreleased Canon lenses and the two teleconverters show up for certification

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
agreed but don't forget about the bokeh, you'll have to work more to blow the background out as it limits your options. 5.6 for me is already difficult enough with low light evening shooting, you really lose it quite fast even at 5.6. Now to cope with a 7.1 lens? no thanks.
Your DOF at 500mm 7.1 is significatly less than 400mm 5.6. Focal length has a much bigger impact on DOF than aperture.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Im guessing that the 100-500 f4.5-7.1 will have a very similar design to the exisiting 100-400 f4.5-5.6. In which case the lens will likley only switch to 7.1 after 400mm. So think of it as the 100-400 with an extra 100mm added on. Maybe 7.1 is too dark for some cases but any lens that is significatly faster at 500mm, Nikon 200-500 f5.6 for example, are much bigger and heavier than the 100-500 and also have a much more limited zoom range.

We don't know this for sure yet, but it certainly seems likely.

If it IS true then anyone complaining about it being worthless, who also professes to be happy with the 100-400, is missing something. (It would be another thing to say it's not worth upgrading, just for the incremental add of 400-500 at f/7.1. I'm talking about the folks who pronounce it completely worthless.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
With the supply chain interruptions, it will probably be a while before we see anything released. Just getting it from there to here and then distributing it is going to be a challenge. I'd imagine that all the big stores used to supply the demand are shut down on the East and West coasts of the USA. Has anyone received an order from Adorama or B&H in the past week? Wondering. If they are not shipping, they are probably not receiving either.

Upvote 0
This earlier rumour seems plausible
Except for the limited lenses for the RF teleconvertors. They can't be used with the RF70-200mm as the rear element is too close so that leaves the RF100-500mm only. A 2x TC with RF100-500mm would be very slow @ 1000mm! If one of these lens is a RF400mm DO then they make perfect sense.
Of course, this is assuming that the TCs are RF-RF ie only for RF lenses. They could be RF-EF enabling EF big whites on RF mount combining the separate RF adapter + EF TC

Upvote 0
I’ve always shot Canon because I think they fit me the best, I’m picky, but they deliver. I’m all for competition etc, Blabla... but you know what’s REALLY fun? Smacking the Sony trolls off their d@mn high horses, suddenly they are sooo very quiet. I’m petty, I’ll admit, but it feels pretttttty great sometimes.:devilish:
I'm taking your post with the chuckle for I believe you mean it that way. But I'll admit I get tired of people bashing different brands. One should use whatever works for them the best regardless of brand.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I don't see the 100-500 as having much if any advantage over the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sport. Both lenses are big enough that they are mostly going to be used on a tripod or, more likely, a monopod. That's how I use my Sigma and first generation 100-400 Canon.

Of course, we don't the price of the 100-500.
I go hand held. Support it on the edge of a vehicle.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Out of curiosity...did you sell your Riv in preparation for the R5 or did you like the RP so much you found no use for the Riv?

I sold my Riv for the R5. I actually bought the RP after the Riv, and funnily enough, i prefer the images produced by the RP over the Riv (something about the jpeg colors, cliched i know :D ). The two things the Riv had going for it was (1) its slightly superior autofocus system and (2) its 61 megapixels. I don't shoot videos often, but i did appreciate the video quality of its 4K videos. So now that the major specs of the R5 have been released/leaked (40+ megapixels, 8K video, dual card slot), i feel confident enough to let go of the Sony and go all in on Canon.

I just hope that the one lens I absolutely loved on my Sony kit, the 24mm F1.4 GM, will be available on the RF platform soon!!

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
not pleased with that 100-500, its just way too slow. I have the 100-400II and I'd rather keep that at this point. I'd rather it be a 200-500 5.6, 100-500 5.6, or 200-600 6.3. The other companies are making it, come on canon!
100% agree. We’ve all heard that f7.1 isn’t an issue on mirrorless and that, but come on! F7.1 for a non-L lens sure, not not a white one.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
100% agree. We’ve all heard that f7.1 isn’t an issue on mirrorless and that, but come on! F7.1 for a non-L lens sure, not not a white one.

A "L" on a lens is not a warranty for big aperture, it is a warranty for pro quality.
it is also the meaning that it's built for professionnal use, so the proof that they made an analysis that it does exist a professionnal market for it.

I'm also sceptical, but if they produce a very sharp lense, enough to fit a lot of pixels, 6/8k video, not too high price and also rain-proof sealed, it could justify 7.1 aperture.

I'm sure they will make big whites F/2.8 or F/4 RF lenses soon, because they want to make a full range fitting every need.
But we have to be patient... and rich :p

Canon guys said the R5 is a 5 series, kind of Swiss knife camera. They release this 100-500 in the same time, same philosophy.
Big whites are more the kind of lenses used by pros on a monobloc camera like 1D.
It would be logical if they planned to release some RF big whites and a monobloc R1, in the same time, next year?

With the olympics posponed, I'm sure they will try to release a full R1 pro kit before next summer.
Advantage of quarantine is that engineering can be very productive, without market pressure...
let's dream :geek:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
".. Advantage of quarantine is that engineering can be very productive, without market pressure...
let's dream.."

you mean the advantage is that engineers are forced to work from home and basically have no access to lab equipment and do accept voluntary wages haircut or work 4 days per week instead of 5?
top skill resources are stressed and underpaid. I can certainly see this happening in my accounts.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
".. Advantage of quarantine is that engineering can be very productive, without market pressure...
let's dream.."

you mean the advantage is that engineers are forced to work from home and basically have no access to lab equipment and do accept voluntary wages haircut or work 4 days per week instead of 5?
top skill resources are stressed and underpaid. I can certainly see this happening in my accounts.

I'm also engineer, in Europe. In my company the guys are at home and it works well. They are paid normally, and we still can go at the factory if necessary for the work, with a certificate document from the company, to pass police controls.
Anyway, in japan the situation is not so complicated with the virus. I may be wrong but last week they just had schools closed.
The tricky thing is how to make a prototype if some parts are supplied in closed countries like china? But for just a few prototypes it's not an issue to buy more expensive parts in other countries.

Upvote 0