600D/T3i Specs [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Howland

BlackEagle said:
I think it is kind of funny how much people worry about Canon lossing 1Ds customers to 5D or xxD customers to xxxD. Guys wake up Sony beat Nikon in UK. Competion is big. Do you guys think that Canon's main concern is losing it's own customers to again itself :p When users pick a 5D over a 1D, Canon is still making the money and not the rivals. So, what is Canon supposed to do? Not make 5D mark III very good so that there is a reason to buy 1Ds :) Are there any guarantees that customers will not jump ship if Canon does not make each of it's products very good in order to make the more expensive models more appealing.

I think Canon is (and should be) more worried about losing market share to Sony, Panasonic and Nikon. I think Canon and you guys should be less worried about Canon losing business to itself :) Let the 5D mark III kick 1Ds ass and Rebels kick xxd ass :) This way Canon keeps the profits and we get better Cameras for less..So everybody in the Canon Universe stays happy :)

Exactly!!

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
There's still plenty to differentiate the xxD and xxxD series - essentially the same stuff that has always separated their non-D analogues (no pun intended) in the film world:

* Size (xxxD will always be smaller and lighter)
* Build Quality (Maybe the 60D doesn't have the full-metal jacket of the pre-60D bodies, but neither did the film bodies. Still better than any xxx series)
* Handling (second control dial, metering, AF, information display)
* Speed

Upvote 0
B

Bryan

Rocky said:
That will make it almost like a 60D except the size and the grip. What is the point of having this model??

a small form factor is always good. ever taken a camera overseas ;)

the differences between the 60D and the 600D becomes less and less with newer models to the point where you could probably the same thing about the 60D and its successor if the changes are incremental.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Bryan said:
Rocky said:
That will make it almost like a 60D except the size and the grip. What is the point of having this model??

My 20D and 40D (with 3 lenses) have travelled to every continent of the world, including Antarctica. For me, handling and speed is more important than the slight decrease in size and weight. With the L lenses, the additional size and weight of the body becomes insignificant.

Upvote 0
WarStreet said:
The rebels although not as good as the higher priced cameras, they still remain great cameras for their target.

From history, the 18mp sensor was expected, as we should also expect an improved noise and dynamic range too. The camera has to be tested to see the real benefit of this upgrade.

Same sensor + same digic IV = same image, no improved noise or DR.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Bryan said:
Rocky said:

the differences between the 60D and the 600D becomes less and less with newer models to the point where you could probably the same thing about the 60D and its successor if the changes are incremental.

form factor preference is massively dependent on the form factor of the person using the camera.

I can't hold a T2i for more than a few minutes before my hand cramps. I can, however, walk around all day with a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II on a 5D Mark II body, and have flown with said combination.

it is disappointing that the digital camera realm is currently very size-ist, discriminating against those who prefer small cameras over those who prefer large cameras. for my wife, she is limited to the technology of the XXXD lineup (and now maybe the 60D) simply due to the fact that she can't shoot comfortably with anything larger

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I have nothing against the size or weight of the Rebel series. My complain is the size of the grip of the Rebel series. If Canon makes the grip sticks out another 1/4 "more , and make the grip another 1/8" thicker, it will be a lot more comfortable in the hand. Just look at the entry level of Nikons'. They are they about same size and weight of the rebel and they are a lot more comfortable to be held. It all in the grip.

Upvote 0
C

Catastrophile

presuming the rumor is true, i hope the 18MP sensor will be a bit different from the three we have seen so far, especially WRT dynamic range/shadow noise/low contrast detail (the three things are interrelated i guess). also if the only Rebel coming soon is the 600D (no 2000D), this will further support the idea that Canon has decided to do away with the xxxxD and rely on the before-last Rebel (550D in a few days) as the their cheapest SLR. A good idea to replace one series more frequently (12 months instead of 18) and use the old model as a cheaper offer, the 550D will still feel pretty much current and fresh spec-wise and history-wise until it gets discontinued next year.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Catastrophile said:
...if the only Rebel coming soon is the 600D (no 2000D), this will further support the idea that Canon has decided to do away with the xxxxD and rely on the before-last Rebel (550D in a few days) as the their cheapest SLR...

Buzzzz. Thanks for playing, try again next time. :p

Seriously, though, Canon knows that the vastly overwhelming majority of their profit comes from the bottom end of the lineup, and they'd be foolish to abandon the cheapest entry-level dSLR (priced comparably to high-end P&S cameras).

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Catastrophile said:
...if the only Rebel coming soon is the 600D (no 2000D), this will further support the idea that Canon has decided to do away with the xxxxD and rely on the before-last Rebel (550D in a few days) as the their cheapest SLR...

Buzzzz. Thanks for playing, try again next time. :p

Seriously, though, Canon knows that the vastly overwhelming majority of their profit comes from the bottom end of the lineup, and they'd be foolish to abandon the cheapest entry-level dSLR (priced comparably to high-end P&S cameras).

Yes, I certainly agree.

Canon needs a low end camera to balance what others are offering. It also provides a way for stores to advertise the low price model, and then convince would be buyers to step up to the more profitible T3i.

Upvote 0
P

pgabor

About the grip and handling thing, here's a quote from dpreview:

"In the past we've not been big fans of Canon's entry-level models in terms of handling; since the EOS 350D they've been afflicted by a tiny, slim grips that seem to have been designed for the smallest of hands. The 600D finally addresses this with a grip that's slightly deeper, front to back, than its predecessor's, coupled with a sculpted channel on the back that provides a positive anchor point for your thumb.

This makes a big difference to the feel of the camera in your hand, and while users with large mitts may well still find it cramped, it's likely that a lot of users will find the 600D much more comfortable to hold than its predecessors. Personally I found it to be a huge improvement, and the first 'Rebel' class camera that I've been happy to carry around one-handed for an extended session of shooting since the original 300D. "

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.