• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Neuro.
As is your norm, a very informative post. Thank you for this enlightenment.

Cheers, Graham.

neuroanatomist said:
EDIT: I should that although 1/128 is the lowest available manual power setting, it's not the lowest power output (shortest duration) of which the flash is capable. Using f/2.8 and ISO 5000, E-TTL will give an appropriate exposure by using a much shorter duration than the 1/128 manual power setting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
werunhsv said:
Just got my new 600EX II-Rt and noticed in manual mode the flash is the same brightness in 1/1 and 1/128

What do you mean by 'brightness'? A Speedlight flash tube has only one intensity – full power. What determines the amount of light delivered by the flash is not the intensity, but rather the duration of the flash. A 1/1 power flash will last ~1/800 s, while a 1/128 power flash will last only ~1/35,000 s.

I didn't know that. Thanks Neuro.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I see no real difference between 2 and 3 above, if you repeat with the first flash and still see no difference, I suppose it might be defective. But there's a discrepancy in that at first, you suggested your flash was locked on full power, but the above shots are at the same very low power. Be certain you are actually changing power settings – if you use camera menus, you must press Set after the change.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
If you get Einsteins, You could pull off lighting effects that Broncolor and Profoto will turn up their noses at.

Please do share or elaborate. I always thought it was the other way around that the Profoto could shoot HSS or TTL and the Einsteins could not. I understand that is only one feature and would like to know what your talking about :)

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
The only significant real-world advantage to me of a hotshoe-mounted flash is that...well...you can mount it to your hotshoe.

As soon as you take that flash off the hotshoe, it loses its single most important advantage and takes on almost all the disadvantages of studio lights. And you're still saddled with all the very significant disadvantages of a hotshoe flash -- its very wimpy power, its astronomical cost, the hell of using it with any modifier other than a small and cheesy umbrella, and so on.

For me, a hotshoe flash is only for situations where it's going to stay mounted to the camera, and even then it's really just for bounce flash. If I was going to use it straight on, I might as well whip out the iPhone -- the end result will be just as ugly.

If I'm going to go to the bother of setting up stands and softboxes and what-not, I'm damned well not going to put up with the nonsense of an overpriced, underpowered toy at the heart of all that effort. An Einstein and a Vagabond, compared with the light stand and the softbox / parabolic reflector / whatever, isn't adding significantly more to the bulk and weight at that point. And the Cyber Commander is such an awesome remote control system that I really couldn't care about messing with on-camera menus.

So, that's my advice. Get the hotshoe flash if you'll actually use it primarily in the camera's hotshoe, and get real strobes for the stuff that won't be mounted to a hotshoe.

Right tool for the job and all that. A sledgehammer and a claw hammer are both hammers and, I suppose, at some vague level, theoretically interchangeable. But you'd be nuts to try to bust up a concrete pad with a claw hammer and even more insane to try to frame a house with a sledge.

Cheers,

b&

Cheers,

b&

It really depends on what you are using them for. I shoot high school basketball for a local newspaper and I can light half the court with two 600ex-rt placed at the back of the bleachers parallel to the basket and aimed to a imaginary point about 10' above the key. I would hate to try and set up two monolights at the gym everytime. The 600's generally are quickly clamped to a handrail with superclamps and work just fine. I can setup in 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 2A5A7034.jpg
    2A5A7034.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 2A5A7562.jpg
    2A5A7562.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
cayenne said:
Does anyone know much about the new "Digi-Bees" by Buff?

https://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php

I can't really tell the difference between them and the regular Alien Bees...except some specs and price....are they just newer models of the AB's or is it really new tech of some sort?

cayenne

Only that they take the CSXCV which is a key requirement for me. Oh and the stupid naming nomenclature continues, the 400 is a 160 Ws and the 800 is a 320 Ws.

If you need low power the 400's look interesting, if you are thinking about the 800's I can't see the price differential between them and the Einsteins being worth it, take a month or two more saving and just get the Einstein.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.