60D or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D.Sim

Eugene said:
So having said that, JPEG on a digic 5 results into massive ISO performance, correct?

Not at all... it'll affect how the images are processed at a faster rate, but noise quality... won't really be affected. And as Neuro said, when shooting RAW... it'll be negligible..

I second the suggestion to upgrade your glass - it'll help the AF as well if you can get the 2.8 trinity

Upvote 0
Eugene said:
Tijin, do you find the upgrade satisfying? When did you upgrade?
Very satisfying. Gave me the video capability I wanted, nice swivel screen for when I want to do a scary self portrait, max ISO been pushed up 2 stops or so (not counting 12800). Resolution also changed a lot, I'm actually not afraid to crop now (went from 8Mpx to 18Mpx). The body itself feels nicer, too. I'd always love better noise performance, but I think I'll just wait a year or two and then go fullframe with a 5d mk3.

Do you guys think the new sensor would be extremely superior to the ones found on the 7D, 60D, 600D, etc?
I think it will be a significant upgrade. As in, at least 1 stop of noise performance boost (which is a lot). But for me, getting an upgrade *now* was much more important than waiting for a sensor upgrade (and spending more money on a crop camera in the process).

Upvote 0
I upgraded from a 450 to 60D last summer, and haven't looked back!

Yes, glass quality is the overriding factor. Yes, the 60D will be updated sometime. Yes, the 60D doesn't have a Mg-Alloy and (totally) weather-sealed body. It was however a hugely satisfying upgrade.

The 60D's features which make the photography I desire achievable are worth the upgrade, and are something a glass-upgrade wouldn't have provided.

For me, the killer-features are the articulated screen, much-improved bracketing control, wireless-flash control, the top-mounted LCD screen, digital-level, far superior high-iso performance, higher-speed (FPS) even when shooting RAW, higher pixel-count (more confidence when cropping) and the Custom scene-mode (I just wish it had three rather than just one!). Even the (user-configurable) scene-modes are worthy of note.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that glass is the key to sharp shots, you need to get the shot first and the 60D's features are far superior to those of the 450D and go a long way to ensuring you get that shot in the first place.

Any camera will be updated at some time, and whilst the 60D's successor may be on the horizon it's by no means imminent. I'd say go for the upgrade and reap the rewards!

Upvote 0
SJP said:
I upgraded from a 450 to 60D last summer, and haven't looked back!

It's nice to hear other people are happy with the 60D, too, because I really like my camera :) ... having said this, I just saw the 7D prices have dropped significantly. So if you don't need magic lantern (doh!) and the movable back screen you can get a body that fits larger hands, better weather sealing and a far, far superior af.

Upvote 0
If you could theoretically afford a 70d new, then you can certainly afford a used 7d right now. They aren't much more expensive and it meets your requirements of great AF and it was 19 wonderful crosstype points. Also IQ is great and honestly you won't see a huge jump between it and a 70d in terms of IQ. imo

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

mitchell3417 said:
If you could theoretically afford a 70d new, then you can certainly afford a used 7d right now. They aren't much more expensive and it meets your requirements of great AF and it was 19 wonderful crosstype points. Also IQ is great and honestly you won't see a huge jump between it and a 70d in terms of IQ. imo

+1 go for used kit

Upvote 0
mitchell3417 said:
Also IQ is great and honestly you won't see a huge jump between it and a 70d in terms of IQ. imo

??? now this is canon *rumors*, but predicting the iq of a 70D is somewhat risky, wouldn't you agree? I think the 70D will have a new sensor (they cannot still recycle the 18MP, although it is working ok), so iq of course will go up, even if due to lower noise levels alone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.