6D Firmware 1.1.4 released

Mar 1, 2012
Get it here..........
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_6d#DriversAndSoftware

What it does......
"Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.4 incorporates the following fixes:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which some images cannot be transferred to mobile devices running the EOS Remote app.
2. Corrects an error in the German language Feature Guide.
3. Corrects an error in the Korean language Feature Guide.

Firmware Version 1.1.4 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.3. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.4, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Please note:
After the firmware update has been performed the following setting will be reset to default.
Menu > Custom Function> C.Fn II: Autofocus > AF Microadjustment> 1: All by same amount
"
As per.....
http://support-ph.canon-asia.com/contents/PH/EN/0400128402.html

---
I'm less than enthused about installing it.
Wonder if it's got any other features?

Jul 21, 2010
tolusina said:
neuroanatomist said:
tolusina said:
Menu > Custom Function> C.Fn II: Autofocus > AF Microadjustment> 1: All by same amount"
I wonder if that means individual lens AFMA values will be deleted by the firmware update?
That's how I read it.

That's pretty lame. :eek: Even resetting all settings doesn't remove the lens-specific values (although it does reset the overall setting to 0: No Adjustment).

Upvote 0
Shoot. Been watching for a firmware update for a year to fix the GPS issue.

GPS is certainly a great feature to have. It uses about 25% of the battery per day, or about 1% per hour. Which means if you have it on for an 10-hour shoot, you lose about 10% of your battery, or instead of 800 shots you get 720. ;-) So not a lot of impact for a normal shooting day.

But, if you leave it on when you throw it in your pack, if you pull it out 3-4 days later... battery is dead.

It seems totally logical that they should have a configuration option that if Logging is turned off, to have the GPS shut off with a custom delay (I would pick 1 hour) after you either shut off the camera switch, or after it auto powers down. When it powers back up, it starts with the same GPS it had at shutdown, so often it's not far off. I would gladly live with my first shot or two not perfect rather than a dead battery nearly EVERY time I pick up my camera.

Sheesh.

Jim in Boulder

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
heyjp said:
It seems totally logical that they should have a configuration option that if Logging is turned off, to have the GPS shut off with a custom delay (I would pick 1 hour) after you either shut off the camera switch, or after it auto powers down. When it powers back up, it starts with the same GPS it had at shutdown, so often it's not far off. I would gladly live with my first shot or two not perfect rather than a dead battery nearly EVERY time I pick up my camera.

IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed. I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed. Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I'd like it a lot better if the people who implemented it had taken the time to do it right instead of saying, "Okay, we have data, ship it."

The 6D's battery has about 13,000 mWh of capacity. If it is running down in a week, the camera is drawing almost 80 mW continuously. Given typical GPS power draw, that suggests that the GPS hardware is acquiring fixes pretty much continuously, which is just completely and totally brain damaged, IMO.

In an ideal world, the camera should continue grabbing coordinates normally for a user-controlled period of time after you power it off (15 minutes, by default). After that period, it should grab coordinates only about once every 45 minutes so that the ephemeris data is always up-to-date, and so that its last known location is close enough to pretty much guarantee a hot start (unless you're in an airplane).

Powering up for a five second GPS fix once every 45 minutes should require very, very little battery power. Even with some of the worst GPS chipsets, that should take less than 1 mWh per hour. So by doing a single fix every 45 minutes, a theoretically perfect battery should last for somewhere on the order of 1.5 years in standby mode, not counting any other current draw for writing the data to flash.

Of course, the battery's self-discharge rate would likely run the battery down in less than a year, but that effectively means that the GPS's power consumption should be lost in the noise.

Also, in an ideal world, if GPS coordinates aren't available yet when a photo is taken, the camera should try to retroactively compute the coordinates after it obtains a lock, or at least write the coordinates into the EXIF data of recently taken photos after it obtains a lock, but that's another bug for another day.

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
heyjp said:

IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed. I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed. Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I'd like it a lot better if the people who implemented it had taken the time to do it right instead of saying, "Okay, we have data, ship it."

The 6D's battery has about 13,000 mWh of capacity. If it is running down in a week, the camera is drawing almost 80 mW continuously. Given typical GPS power draw, that suggests that the GPS hardware is acquiring fixes pretty much continuously, which is just completely and totally brain damaged, IMO.

In an ideal world, the camera should continue grabbing coordinates normally for a user-controlled period of time after you power it off (15 minutes, by default). After that period, it should grab coordinates only about once every 45 minutes so that the ephemeris data is always up-to-date, and so that its last known location is close enough to pretty much guarantee a hot start (unless you're in an airplane).

Powering up for a five second GPS fix once every 45 minutes should require very, very little battery power. Even with some of the worst GPS chipsets, that should take less than 1 mWh per hour. So by doing a single fix every 45 minutes, a theoretically perfect battery should last for somewhere on the order of 1.5 years in standby mode, not counting any other current draw for writing the data to flash.

Of course, the battery's self-discharge rate would likely run the battery down in less than a year, but that effectively means that the GPS's power consumption should be lost in the noise.

Also, in an ideal world, if GPS coordinates aren't available yet when a photo is taken, the camera should try to retroactively compute the coordinates after it obtains a lock, or at least write the coordinates into the EXIF data of recently taken photos after it obtains a lock, but that's another bug for another day.
Hi,
I just disable it (I register it in the quick menu) before I switch off my 6D, so not a big problem.

Anyway, I only use the 6D's GPS as a backup as it take a long time to obtain an initial lock. Garmin eTrex 30 is a lot faster and can display a custom map...

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, I still get the start up screen saying "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?" when using aftermarket battery. There is a 1 second pause after pressing OK, the lcd will go blank then normal. I'm using a Zeikos battery.

When I use a canon battery, there is no pause. The lcd is on and ready for use.

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed. I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed.

I'd up that to half-quarter-assed :p ... if they put gps in it, they should at least add the very obvious function of basic gps tracking (direction, distance) to it, I hope ML will come to the rescue once they figure out the GPS props.

What disappoints me most is that the 6d has no advantage over a dedicated gps tracker (which draws less power & is more precise) other than convenience - what *should* have been added is camera heading so you can see your fov in combination with the focal length for example on google maps/earth.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
What disappoints me most is that the 6d has no advantage over a dedicated gps tracker (which draws less power & is more precise) other than convenience - what *should* have been added is camera heading so you can see your fov in combination with the focal length for example on google maps/earth.

Interesting as 5D3 with GP-E2 does include camera heading in EXIF.

Upvote 0
jpaana said:

Indeed, that's why I know Canon *can* do it - obviously they didn't want to do it (you can still buy the gp-e2 for the 6d :p) or for some technical reason couldn't add an electronic compass... though I somehow doubt the latter.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Marsu42 said:
jpaana said:

Indeed, that's why I know Canon *can* do it - obviously they didn't want to do it (you can still buy the gp-e2 for the 6d :p) or for some technical reason couldn't add an electronic compass... though I somehow doubt the latter.

I suspect it's because it would add a few whole cents to the BOM, and they were hoping folks wouldn't notice its absence. :)

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Marsu42 said:
dgatwood said:
I suspect it's because it would add a few whole cents to the BOM, and they were hoping folks wouldn't notice its absence. :)

Be careful, or you'll challenge my top position on the "sarcasm towards Canon's penny pinching" ranking :p

I've worked at an electronics hardware manufacturer (not Canon). Unless you have also done so, it's gonna be hard for you to compete with the cynicism of someone who has actually worked in the proverbial sausage factory. :D

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
Unless you have also done so, it's gonna be hard for you to compete with the cynicism of someone who has actually worked in the proverbial sausage factory. :D

Ok, I'll remember that and hope you keep on commenting when some Canon enthusiasts deny Canon doing dirty/cheap tricks ("No, they would never do something like *that*, there has to be another reason" ...) :->

Fyi: WARNING: This 6d update really screws 3rd party batteries, I (cynically?) suspect this is the sole reason for Canon releasing it in the first place. See users' comments here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1281456

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Marsu42 said:
dgatwood said:
Unless you have also done so, it's gonna be hard for you to compete with the cynicism of someone who has actually worked in the proverbial sausage factory. :D

Ok, I'll remember that and hope you keep on commenting when some Canon enthusiasts deny Canon doing dirty/cheap tricks ("No, they would never do something like *that*, there has to be another reason" ...) :->

Fyi: WARNING: This 6d update really screws 3rd party batteries, I (cynically?) suspect this is the sole reason for Canon releasing it in the first place. See users' comments here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1281456

The 6D was already notorious for rejecting third-party batteries—much more so than previous Canon hardware. I think the firmware update on the 5Dmk3 just brought it up to the same level of strictness that the 6D always used, so I'd be surprised if this really was a regression on the 6D.

The reason I say that is that I'm really cynical about some of the third-party batteries. I've had four cheap batteries that lasted anywhere from a week to a couple of months. As best I can tell, some of the cheaper third-party batteries have a startlingly high probability of crashing when the battery gets below a certain charge level, causing the camera to be unable to communicate with them. So my guess is that it's more likely that the failures of third-party batteries are just random premature chip death.

Statistically, every time we released a new OS release, there would be people who claimed that it broke their computers. The reality, of course, was that a certain percentage of systems just randomly fail in any given period of time, whether there's an OS release or not. Then again, sometimes the update itself really did hose things. Those were the fun ones.... :-/

If the update breaks quality third-party batteries (e.g. the Watson batteries that B&H ships free with the cameras), I'll be concerned.

Upvote 0