6D ii periodically unresponsive

I love my 6D ii, but sometimes it becomes somewhat unresponsive. When this happens, I can take photos (I think), but I usually cannot view photos or select a different auto-focus point (I use the buttons on the camera or battery grip to change auto-focus points, rather than the LCD) (by the way, the reason I don't know exactly what is affected each time is because it always happens when I am photographing a client, and I don't have time to play around and see what is and is not working). A few months ago, there was a firmware update that was suppose to fix this (or a similar) issue, and I did download it; it seemed to help somewhat, but the problem still persists. Most of the time, I can correct the problem by simply turning off the battery grip, but sometimes I have to turn the camera off and back on (which has always made the problem immediately go away). This problem happens frequently enough that I am pretty fast at recognizing (and fixing) it, but it is still a pain. I was just curious: do any of you 6D ii owners have the same problem?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
I have had a similar issue on a couple of occasions on my 7DII, I use a third party grip and (I think) I have found what causes the problem, it seems to be the wheel on the grip is part way between clicks (or something is going on with it), a quick flick of the wheel seems to free the problem, as does turning off the grip.
I guess a genuine grip might be able to to do this too if the wheel was in between positions, I haven’t noticed much difference in the feel of the position detent between the genuine grips that I have (have had), the camera body wheels and the aftermarket grip. :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.

I love my 6D ii, but sometimes it becomes somewhat unresponsive. When this happens, I can take photos (I think), but I usually cannot view photos or select a different auto-focus point (I use the buttons on the camera or battery grip to change auto-focus points, rather than the LCD) (by the way, the reason I don't know exactly what is affected each time is because it always happens when I am photographing a client, and I don't have time to play around and see what is and is not working). A few months ago, there was a firmware update that was suppose to fix this (or a similar) issue, and I did download it; it seemed to help somewhat, but the problem still persists. Most of the time, I can correct the problem by simply turning off the battery grip, but sometimes I have to turn the camera off and back on (which has always made the problem immediately go away). This problem happens frequently enough that I am pretty fast at recognizing (and fixing) it, but it is still a pain. I was just curious: do any of you 6D ii owners have the same problem?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0