6D Mark II will not power up...

Thanks to everyone for your help. It looks like there's no magic reset option that I thought one of you experts might be aware of. It's simply a defective product.

And unfortunately, there's simply no time to exchange it before I leave. I'm an airline pilot and will only be home for a few hours before I fly out to Hawaii (from Osaka) and there's just no time to make it all the to the camera store and airport in time.

I'll go with the suggestion to buy a second camera, which I'll do when I get to Hawaii, and deal with the 6Dm2 when I get back. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
And one last note, sorry to bomb your site last night. I had been waiting for this FF enthusiast camera for a couple of years. Previously I used a 70D and loved it. But the competition keeps innovating, and when the 6Dm2 finally came out, although the specs were slightly disappointing, it was the right camera for me. I have had it 3 weeks, and NOW it breaks, when there's no time to exchange it? So, hoping for a fix, I found your site and submitted my query, but I should have kept the emotion out of it. Thanks again for everyone with helpful ideas.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Tokyotim said:
Thanks to everyone for your help. It looks like there's no magic reset option that I thought one of you experts might be aware of. It's simply a defective product.

And unfortunately, there's simply no time to exchange it before I leave. I'm an airline pilot and will only be home for a few hours before I fly out to Hawaii (from Osaka) and there's just no time to make it all the to the camera store and airport in time.

I'll go with the suggestion to buy a second camera, which I'll do when I get to Hawaii, and deal with the 6Dm2 when I get back. Thanks again!

I understand your disappointment, there is indeed no magic reset button, or fix that I am aware of. it may be a minor fix, but it will need to go to Canon.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
In Japan, you should be able to return the camera from place of purchase. Just bring in your camera, and receipt or warranty card the shop should have stamped when you bought it. Just walk up to any staff, and say you have a problem. They will take you aside to a special desk where you can walk through the problem with them.
They will apologize, bow, apologize again, bow, and you will be able to get a new camera, or a refund. As long as your claim is legit, they will probably take good care of you and bow apologize a third time.

If you don't have time to take it to the store, Canon service centers will be your best bet, but will probably only fix the issue, not give you a new camera, or refund your purchase.

As for the timing for the upcoming trip to hawaii, that is unfortunate. If you are a CPS member, they may lend you a body for your travels if you explain the situation, but probably up to the CPS staff member.

In this day and age, shows importance of owning a back up body. Even a used M series with ef adaptor, you can still get some good shots and it is a cheap alternative to new dSLR. If buying something used is an option, check mapcamera, phone them, and ask for delivery tomorrow, if you are not on Okinawa, or Hokkaido, they will get it to you next day.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Tokyotim said:
And one last note, sorry to bomb your site last night. I had been waiting for this FF enthusiast camera for a couple of years. Previously I used a 70D and loved it. But the competition keeps innovating, and when the 6Dm2 finally came out, although the specs were slightly disappointing, it was the right camera for me. I have had it 3 weeks, and NOW it breaks, when there's no time to exchange it? So, hoping for a fix, I found your site and submitted my query, but I should have kept the emotion out of it. Thanks again for everyone with helpful ideas.

Call the company you bought it from, explain your situation, and ask if they can send someone out to the airport to do a swap there. You might get lucky, there are a lot of very nice people out there.....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I find this thread painful and distressing. So much time has been wasted when there isn't much time available.

1) did you purchase from an authorized Canon dealer?

2) was it a physical shop that you can walk into?

3) wherever you purchased it, you should call immediately and explain the problem and ask for the necessary return authorization and ask them to immediately ship the replacement item to the address you will be at in Hawaii.

4) return the item by overnight express and ask them to ship the replacement by overnight express to Hawaii. You may need to pay shipping.

5) if you can, before shipping it off find an authorized Canon dealer and take it in to them to show them what the problem is. If they can see it and touch it they may identify the problem. If not, at least you know that the unit is defective.

6) in dealing with the original seller be polite but firm. Explore every option available and ask for a supervisor if necessary. Don't get off the phone until you've reached a fair agreement that resolves the problem.

7) airline pilots are a trusted and respected occupation. They may be more willing to accommodate you than they would an ordinary customer.

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
One other thought. Does Canon have a repair facility in Hawaii? They probably do. Since the camera is still under warranty, you could take it with you and have it repaired quickly there. Still, call Canon Service as they may have an easy fix that they haven't published yet. Canon might even let you swap it out in Hawaii due to your circumstances. We can always hope.

Brian

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
malarcky said:
If you are a CPS member, you can't even add the 6D Mk II to your list of available camera bodies. I keep looking for it to appear in the drop down list, and just checked it today to no avail. Come on Canon. I would like to add this camera body to my list, as there are advantage to have it listed, I think.
I am a CPS member and in CPS Europe you can add it. I added it some 3 weeks ago

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
@ pookie – I guess you missed the part where the OP was asking for some help (and admittedly, the brand switch threat smells trollish). But thanks anyway for your usual helpful contribution to the discussion.

... after spamming random threads to get the post count to start a thread. Which apparently is OK.

Yes, but look at the intent....

It was to find out what to do.... many items can be reset to factory default by weird combinations of buttons, perhaps that was all he was after.....

In the end, some posters gave good advice like call the dealer, verifying cards and batteries, etc.... put yourself in his shoes..... he has a bricked camera, about to go on vacation, and does not know what to do.... we should ask ourselves "did I try to help?", and if the answer is not yes, perhaps you should ask yourself why?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
@ pookie – I guess you missed the part where the OP was asking for some help (and admittedly, the brand switch threat smells trollish). But thanks anyway for your usual helpful contribution to the discussion.

... after spamming random threads to get the post count to start a thread. Which apparently is OK.

It was to find out what to do.... many items can be reset to factory default by weird combinations of buttons, perhaps that was all he was after.....

In the end, some posters gave good advice like call the dealer, verifying cards and batteries, etc.... put yourself in his shoes..... he has a bricked camera, about to go on vacation, and does not know what to do.... we should ask ourselves "did I try to help?", and if the answer is not yes, perhaps you should ask yourself why?

Valid point Don. I hope that my response was on the "try to help" side. On the other hand, while Pookie's reaction was blunt I can understand the frustration. Common sense would dictate that the logical first step is to contact the seller and not waste valuable time asking people on the internet to diagnose the problem.

As I said before, these kinds of threads bother me because I can sense time ticking away when the OP should have been taking action. The fact that the OP was wasting so much time on the forum makes me a bit suspicious. Not that the problem wasn't real, but that I wonder if he was being forthright about where and under what conditions he bought the camera in the first place, since under almost any legitimate and legal purchase option the obvious choice was to contact the seller immediately and seek a solution through the proper channels.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:

Valid point Don. I hope that my response was on the "try to help" side. On the other hand, while Pookie's reaction was blunt I can understand the frustration. Common sense would dictate that the logical first step is to contact the seller and not waste valuable time asking people on the internet to diagnose the problem.

As I said before, these kinds of threads bother me because I can sense time ticking away when the OP should have been taking action. The fact that the OP was wasting so much time on the forum makes me a bit suspicious. Not that the problem wasn't real, but that I wonder if he was being forthright about where and under what conditions he bought the camera in the first place, since under almost any legitimate and legal purchase option the obvious choice was to contact the seller immediately and seek a solution through the proper channels.

I agree...

When it is time critical, the very first thing that I would have done is to call the place that I got the camera from, tell them that it has failed, and try to arrange a swap.... Although the web can be a great source of obscure knowledge, in this case the answer should have been obvious.....

You have a new device....
it has failed in the first few weeks...
it is under manufacturer's warranty....
it is almost certainly within "swap time" for defective items from the store...
return it to the store! They will either swap it out for a new one, refund your money, or send it off to service... but all options start with returning it to the store.

These things should be obvious, and to those of us who have been through it before it is old hat. For newbies who are not sure how things work, I can see them asking (what we perceive as) stupid questions, but you have to learn somehow..... so I try to explain it to them as best as I can.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
When it is time critical, the very first thing that I would have done is to call the place that I got the camera from, tell them that it has failed, and try to arrange a swap....

When time ISN'T critical, I would STILL call the place the place I got the camera from ;D

Voice dial... "Call Camera Store!" ... "Camera Joe, that shiny new camera you sold me doesn't turn on! HALP!!!" ... "Can you bring it down? We'll take a look at it right away!"

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
Sounds like a good suggestion to notify your vendor the camera died and you want a refund. Get the return paperwork rolling and if possible ship it back before you leave. Take your Canon len(s) with you and buy a new body in Hawaii.

I would never leave myself in a situation where I only had one body and was planning a major trip. When I went to Easter Island, I took a 6D and a 60D. When I went to Alaska I took two bodies, and when in England I had my 6D and 5DsR. I still have my 40D, and it takes perfectly good pictures. In a pinch I would be more than satisfied to shoot my 40D over my iPhone.

My original Rebel (D300 ?) was failing after 8 years and I had two 28-135mm zooms where IS failed. At no time was I stopped by a single point of failure. Own at a minimum two bodies and two lenses, even if some are old. If someone says you cannot take a good picture with a 10 or 12 megapixel camera, ignore them. As to the 6D II having a poor dynamic range, give me a break. There are many professionals shooting the 6D, and I am sure will use the 6D II. Too many amateurs worry about the numbers game specs and neglect to actually carry their gear and push the shutter button.

Upvote 0