6d mark II with 430ex III

May 15, 2014
Okay,

I apologize for the dumb question, but I know this is the place to get an answer. I have a 6D2 and just recently paired with it with a 430ex III for the "run and gun" bounce of the (white) ceiling shooting for family events with E-TTL.

I'm use to being able to attach a speedlite (6D, 70D) and even though the camera is an auot-ISO it will lock-in and default to ISO 400 (override as needed). This is not happening with my 6D2. I briefly looked through the 6D2 menu and didn't see too much. Heck, I didn't even see the 1st curtain/2nd curtain flash setting that I'm use to finding. What am I missing? I loved the "most of my shooting is auto ISO but attach a speedlite it locks to 400". Now I have to manually override and if I forget to change it back without flash, well you know the story.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions I should know about with the 430ex III? So far it hasn't appeared there is too much to it for settings, customizations.

Thanks!

First set your camera to Matrix metering mode. no spot meter, not the centre average.
If you want to produce shadow free flash shot, set ISO 1600.
If you want heavy shadows set up ISO 100
If you want to use some shadows in the background for subject separation you can go for ISO 400 up to 1250.
If you keep more than 6ft/2 meters distance from your flash to your subject it should not matter at all.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
midluk said:
My 5D4 switches to ISO 400 when I attach my 430EXIII-RT. I really wish it would not do that, perhaps the 6D2 is designed to not do it. What does the camera manual say about auto ISO and flash?
There might be something wrong with the data connection between the flash and the camera. Does E-TTL work properly? Try cleaning the contacts.

Thanks. I guess I should have gotten a 5D4. ;) I have reviewed both manuals and kind find nothing on the expected behavior with the camera set to auto ISO. It's not the end of the world. It was just one last setting to keep track of as I attach, detach the speedlite. I do have C1 setup for my off camera strobes, locked in at 1/180, ISO 100, etc. The problem there is I often don't shoot at ISO 100 for a speedlite mounted on top. Often I go high ISO, drag the shutter to make it more natural. So what happens is I set the camera down, turn it off, pick it back up 10 minutes later and it's back to ISO 100.

Anyway, kind of strange inconsistent behavior. I figured with this forum being so technical driven someone would be on top of this one.

Upvote 0