6D owners, are you upgrading?

Now we know a bit more from a few part reviews.. how are we all feeling about the 6DII?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First the lack of 4K and now the non-existing DR improvement... sticking with my 6D for pictures and will probably buy a Garmin virb or GoPro for my 4K needs.... Would have preferred a full frame 4K solution but now I will adapt my movie shooting to what can be doe with an action camera.

Hopefully the 6D mkIII wont take 5 years to release and that it will have specs that I can live with.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Will not vote, as I don't own a 6D1, but I'm curious to see the results.

The 6D2 is going to sell well and I think it will turn out to be a fine camera. But it would appear that Canon -- in an attempt to keep costs down or, yes, possibly entice folks up to the 5D4 -- left three big things out of the 6D2:

• (We presume) On-Chip ADC sensor and the base ISO DR bump that comes with it
  • Dual slot

There's a bunch of other things folks can get picky about, but those three above tick the 'incite the masses' box to me. Right or wrong, some folks here felt the 6D2 had to have some/all of those items, and I feel those three items will be the driving determinant of whether (forum-dwelling) folks on the fence opt in or opt out of getting a 6D2.

Please note I've no intention to litigate those items here in the thread. See hundreds of pages of threads on this here at CR for that. ;)

- A

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

I bought a new 6D mark I about 6 months ago (super cheap) for my wife after hearing how good it was for low light....

Total BS, it's in no way better than a Mark III/IV in that respect. I love the other thread going back and forth about it being "ok" or step backwards in its sensor. I think this is going to be the norm from now on. I bought the Mark IV when it came out and now after using it for quite a few months it's a very very modest improvement over the Mark III... seems like Canon is hitting a wall where these newer cameras are going to be modest incremental changes in bodies.

I know tons of Mark IV owners rave about their new bodies and pulling shadows (this seems to be the battle cry of the hobbyist on this forum)… really not much there over the Mark III (yes a little better but not HUGE). I own 6 Mark III’s for my wedding business and they will stay there as it is a great camera. I won't rush to upgrade to all Mark IV's.

I'm sure this statement will twist a bunch of undies but it is true... I bought into lots of Canons, love the 5D3 and I'm lukewarm on the 5D4. My 1DX gathers dust these days and I am finding Canon to be well underwhelming lately. I do like Canon and their lenses especially but I can also rationally evaluate the bodies in a working environment. Canon is not without it’s cons… it never has been. Just like every other camera maker on the planet.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rfdesigner said:
ahsanford said:
chrysoberyl said:
I can't vote; I just bought the 5DIV instead.

+1 on not buying. Can you add an "I don't own a 6d" poll option so that we can vote and see the results? :D

- A

happy? :)

Thanks! Curious to see the results if you also added an "I'll get a 5D4 instead, now that I see what the 6D2 offers" sort of out for those that were hedging between the two, but I don't want to backseat drive your poll. ;)

- A

Upvote 0
Upgraded from 6d to 5dmk3 about three years ago. Sold the 5d3 a few months ago anticipating 6dmk2. My expectations were a sub$2000 full frame with an updated sensor with dual pixel, touch screen, massively improved AF over mk1, weather sealing. With all the negative news about the new sensor, I'm glad I moved on to fuji. 6dmk2 will still be on my wist list but I am not paying full price for sure. In fact I just ordered sony a7rii with metabone adaptor just to try it out. I really hate leaving canon but apparently I am starting to feel silly for being loyal. In the mean time a Sony body with canon lenses is a viable compromise.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sunnyVan said:
Upgraded from 6d to 5dmk3 about three years ago. Sold the 5d3 a few months ago anticipating 6dmk2. My expectations were a sub$2000 full frame with an updated sensor with dual pixel, touch screen, massively improved AF over mk1, weather sealing. With all the negative news about the new sensor, I'm glad I moved on to fuji. 6dmk2 will still be on my wist list but I am not paying full price for sure. In fact I just ordered sony a7rii with metabone adaptor just to try it out. I really hate leaving canon but apparently I am starting to feel silly for being loyal. In the mean time a Sony body with canon lenses is a viable compromise.

That's four bodies north of $1k / three bodies north of $2k in 5 years from 3 different brands.

I really hope you find what you are looking for, but I'd consider renting before buying to save a few bucks! :)

- A

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
I have had my 6D1 since 2012 and found it to be a great camera, (for me). There is no way I can justify over $2,000 for a new body so I went ahead and pre-ordered the 6D2. I am very disappointed with several features of it , but if it is as good as my mark 1, I can use the new AF and the tilty-flippy.

Still, I may send it back and stay with my Mark 1 until I decide what to do.

Upvote 0
My 6D is already well used and I was hoping for decent upgrade. While 6D Mk.II will be a good camera, I just don't see the upgrade I expected for 2000 GBP. And I'm even not interested in video at all. 5D Mk.IV looks better every day, but that will require much more saving.

Maybe after my initial shock with sensor and AF module goes away or after my Mk.I dies, I will think differently. Hopefully price will drop by that time.

Upvote 0
I take a close look at each new FF body from Canon. If it has a feature set that is significantly better than what I have and use, and is offered at a tempting price, I will likely go for it. I'm currently using a 5D3. The tilty-flippy and promise of a better sensor almost had me sold on the 6D2. Then reality bit, and I am back on the fence until the next Canon try.

Upvote 0
Nope. I'm not spending $1k for something no better than what I have. I've been waiting for this upgrade for about a year with money in hand. I have ~$10k in Canon glass and I'm eyeballing what I really use to swap to Sony.

I wanted a FF 80d, Canon is offering a lame duck for $2000... Sorry, no thanks.

If the 6dii or 5dIV had IBIS, 4k, flippy screen, DPAF, SD UHS-II and 802.11ac to auto-sync jpgs to my phone it would be worth the upgrade.

Upvote 0
Sdiver2489 said:
I was getting really close to selling my 5DIII and "side grading" to the 6D Mark II for a little smaller size and newer features plus a (BETTER) sensor....but with the sensor disappointment I'll be staying put.

Hopefully others do the same to show Canon what is expected.

Exact same here. First disappointment was the inability to switch focus screens. With little to no sensor improvement I'm staying put. Don't see any point to making a move, plus it's kind of the principle of the thing. Either put a good faith effort into improving the line, or kill it.

Upvote 0
Picked up a new 6D just over a year ago for less than $1200, and was toying with moving to the 6D2 if it was a big improvement. Having seen what the final product appears to be, I will likely wait until next year and add a 5D IV as a second body instead. An articulated screen and the focus upgrade won't be a big factor in the type of work I'm doing.

Upvote 0
Thankfully I didn't lose money when I sold the 6d, lost some when selling 5d. I ordered a7rii but I suspect I won't keep it. I want to have it in my hands to make a judgment. Xt2 is my go to camera now and actually gives me better shooting experience than 6d and 5d. It's my main camera for the foreseeable future.

ahsanford said:
sunnyVan said:

That's four bodies north of $1k / three bodies north of $2k in 5 years from 3 different brands.

I really hope you find what you are looking for, but I'd consider renting before buying to save a few bucks! :)

- A

Upvote 0