6DMKII mac support

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Hi guys,

Just a quick one.

Ive been using the 6DMKII since launch and using bridge/lightroom to sort/edit images.

I do like to use apple photos to archive my images and view them.

Currently there is still no support for the 6DMKII im currently on Sierra on my mac pro because pretty much non of the software I use works on high sierra properly yet the whole CC suite is a mess and is incompatible. (Now 2018 has been released at least it seems to work)

I also like to be able to space bar to view images but currently there is no raw support across the OS.

Apple can only implement when the Canon sends over the code?

Does anyone have any idea why after nearly 3 months there is still no support? Or is the support built into High Sierra? Usually an update comes across to support cameras etc across the most recent OS's.

Just find it particularly annoying and I cant be the only one. Im an early adopter and haven't had this issue so far into the product cycle before. Seems odd to me.

Anyone able to shed some light?

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm still using Sierra, so I can't report on the state of High Sierra. Your post certainly doesn't encourage me to upgrade any time soon.

So far, I have had no problems with the latest versions of Photoshop and Bridge. I haven't tried Lightroom. I have had problems with viewing .CR2 files from the 6D2 in the Finder from hitting the spacebar, and they won't open in Preview. I don't think I had this problem before the Adobe updates, but I've had the camera such a short time that I can't be sure. I just know I didn't notice a problem before. So what you are seeing is maybe not High Sierra specific, but an issue with 6D2 support from Adobe and/or Apple. Apple is usually good at keeping things up to date in Camera RAW support, and Adobe should have no motivation to hold out info to support them, I would think.

I just checked, and I can still view in the Finder and open in Preview .CR2 files from my G7X II. Same for S120.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Apple seems to be taking ~2-3 months to support a new model. For example, the M6 came out in April, and MacOS support was added in 10.12.6, released in July. The 6DII came out in July, meaning a Sept-Oct time frame for MacOS support. Since High Sierra came out in September and does support the 6DII, based on historical behavior, Apple will not go back and add support for it to Sierra.

Sierra: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207049
High Sierra: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207972

Upvote 0
Yeah, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I'm on Yosemite and there will never be support for my 5DIV on Yosemite. Sierra was released right around this time last year, and while the 5DIV is supported on Sierra, they made no effort to release a codec pack for Yosemite. I think Neuro is right; you'll have to upgrade to High Sierra to get OS level support for your camera.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don't worry, Mac isn't special... Windows doesn't support 6DII CR2 yet, either, and we just got a major update. 80D direct RAW support came in such an update, and it was great, because it allowed CR2s to be opened directly (and instantly), plus thumbnails.

In the past, Microsoft had RAW update patches, but I don't think they've done that for a long time (it's just part of the OS update now).

If you look at other software like FoCal and Optics Pro, updates came/are coming around this month to support the 6DII. I suspect the SDK came out before the 6DII did for some partners (like Adobe) and a little after for others. But these are tiny pieces of software that does a very specific tasks, whereas OSX/Windows are behemoths that require months and months of testing before a feature update is approved.

So, I would expect that it will probably come, but most likely 1-2 major feature releases after 6DII launch.

Just my guess!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Mt Spokane Photography said:
How is the cc suite a mess? I use it every day, its great. I've been learning LRCC (cloud) as well, there is a learning curve, but any issues so far have been mine, and I have stumbled on a few things.

Not the suite itself on High Sierra.

At launch CC on high sierra, none of the programs worked meaning most had to role back to sierra. Now 2018 has been released its seems at least it now works but so far there has been no speed increase to speak of from initial reviews.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Talys said:
Don't worry, Mac isn't special... Windows doesn't support 6DII CR2 yet, either, and we just got a major update. 80D direct RAW support came in such an update, and it was great, because it allowed CR2s to be opened directly (and instantly), plus thumbnails.

In the past, Microsoft had RAW update patches, but I don't think they've done that for a long time (it's just part of the OS update now).

There have been many Mac OS updates to camera profiles as separate downloads, but I haven't seen any lately. And I would expect that some of them just come along for the ride with OS updates.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
tomscott said:
Its pretty frustrating how long its taking them to role it out.

You would think the two most important OS's would be a priority.

Yeah, well, Windows + OSX probably account for as close to 100% of photographers that use RAW as rounding errors make possible :)

However, photographers that use RAW probably account for as close to 0% of if Windows + OSX users as rounding errors make possible :D

Upvote 0