720,000 attempts to perfection

The North American photographer Alan Macfadyen sought the perfect picture of a bird touching the water, and after 720,000 attempts he came to this.
2EB9378800000578-0-image-a-62_1448278477225.jpg

Read Full Article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3330286/Photographer-takes-perfect-picture-diving-kingfisher-six-years-4-200-hours-720-000-shots.html

ajfotofilmagem said:
The North American photographer Alan Macfadyen sought the perfect picture of a bird touching the water, and after 720,000 attempts he came to this.

Read Full Article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3330286/Photographer-takes-perfect-picture-diving-kingfisher-six-years-4-200-hours-720-000-shots.html

It sure is a great shot...I know I wouldn't have had enough patience to pull it off.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for sharing, ajfotofilmagem!

Could someone of you please tell me if you have access to the shooting data and if I didn't read or search properly for EXIF or else or if you're just guessing from the look of the picture.

And although my first thought about it was "wrong shutter speed", too, I must say the biggest tragedy of it is that Mr. Joseph Curtis for Mailonline wasn't able to add an at least decent portrait of Mr. McFadyen to his article ::)
(Maybe it was the guy from "Mercury Press", but who cares...)

Upvote 0
I'd hazard a guess and say it's probably more a tracking issue here than a shutter speed one.

We have malachite kingfishers in my area and even with shutter speeds in excess of 1/5000th, you do not get maximum sharpness if your tracking isn't spot on.

These birds are explosive and travel short distances extremely quickly. Of course, the close in crop of this will magnify the lack of perfection even more

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Thanks for sharing, ajfotofilmagem!

Could someone of you please tell me if you have access to the shooting data and if I didn't read or search properly for EXIF or else or if you're just guessing from the look of the picture.

And although my first thought about it was "wrong shutter speed", too, I must say the biggest tragedy of it is that Mr. Joseph Curtis for Mailonline wasn't able to add an at least decent portrait of Mr. McFadyen to his article ::)
(Maybe it was the guy from "Mercury Press", but who cares...)
Yes, the picture showing Mr. Macfadyen posing with his Nikon is terribly blurry. It makes me think that the newspaper dismissed all photographers, and the journalists made this portrait using a cell phone ...

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi.
I read the article twice, I couldn't find where it said North American, what I did find was this,
Mr McFadyen, from the Dumfries and Galloway area of Scotland, if I'm mistaken please feel free to bring it to my attention! ;D
However, that doesn't change the fact that it is a stunning shot, and the man must have the patience of a saint and an understanding family.
Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers, Graham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3330286/Photographer-takes-perfect-picture-diving-kingfisher-six-years-4-200-hours-720-000-shots.html#ixzz3shVVdcHr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ajfotofilmagem said:

Read Full Article

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi.
I read the article twice, I couldn't find where it said North American, what I did find was this,
Mr McFadyen, from the Dumfries and Galloway area of Scotland, if I'm mistaken please feel free to bring it to my attention! ;D
However, that doesn't change the fact that it is a stunning shot, and the man must have the patience of a saint and an understanding family.
Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers, Graham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3330286/Photographer-takes-perfect-picture-diving-kingfisher-six-years-4-200-hours-720-000-shots.html#ixzz3shVVdcHr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ajfotofilmagem said:

Read Full Article
I read the story, first in Portuguese, where it was stated that the photographer Alan Macfadyen was North American.
Then sought an English version for posting the link.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The math is interesting.....

Let's say that the guy has absolutely perfect tracking skills and keeps the kingfisher perfectly framed as it dives....

So you want to get a picture where the first 1/2 cm of the bill is touching the water..... Assume the frame rate at 10FPS and the bird is diving at 50KPH..... that's 13.9 meters per second... or 1390 cm per second. That first half cm of the bill will be in the right position for 1/2780th of a second and that means that at 10 frames per second, the odds of capturing the shot are 1 in 278 tries....

As everyone who has tried photography of small birds knows, they are particularly hard to track.... they fly fast and they fly erratic.... the odds of tracking that bird in flight with an image large enough to show detail is quite low....

Despite the incredible number of shots taken to get the image, to me, this is an even more impressive display of tracking skills. Kudos!

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
Steve Balcombe said:
It seems churlish to criticise, especially when I don't have any diving kingfisher shots to compare with his, but
4,200 hours is two years of working weeks. I'd be pretty disappointed if I couldn't get a sharp shot in that time!
I have to agree. While it may not reach the same level of "perfection " that a stacked macro shot of a pebble might achieve, it is waaaaay better than anything I have managed with much slower birds. We'll done.

Upvote 0