7D Mark 2 Preorders "sound off"

Mt Spokane Photography said:
SoullessPolack said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
If you ordered one the first day, it should arrive in the first batch. Amazon usually delivers a month or two after Adorama, but it seems to improve a little each year. I think Canon gives priority to real camera stores.

I pre ordered the original 7D, there was a lot of hype, but I already had a 5D MK II, and it was a big disappointment compared to the FF. I fully expect the same thing, lots of hype, but, in the end, its a crop camera sensor and limited by the area of the sensor.

How is Amazon not a real camera store? They sell a ton of photography gear. In fact, they have more options than any local camera store in the Phoenix area. They may not quite have the selectivity of B&H or Adorama, but I guarantee you they are more of a camera store than the vast majority of camera stores (what you think of, at least) out there.

To me, a real camera store has at least one pro or knowledgeable person that can answer questions, demonstrate a camera, and intelligently discuss your needs. Even Best Buy has some help that knows what they are doing. Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Sams, and the like just push merchandise out the door. They are not Camera stores, they do not hire photographers.

The point is that just because Home Depot sells a zillion toilets, for example, they are not a plumbing store, they often stock the wrong parts for the job because the store buyers just buy what the manufacturers sell them for the lowest price. I had to redo my water well system recently, and went to Home Depot to get a pressure switch and a pressure relief valve. In their well section, they stock this stuff, the wrong type of pressure switch, and a pressure relief valve intended for air compressors, not water systems. Its dangerous when they sell you a 250 psi relief valve when it should be 75 psi, sometimes 100 psi. The wrong one could cause a disaster.

You might read this thread about the 5D MK III's and Amazon pre-orders, its a story repeated for each pro or semi pro new model.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=3808.msg94958;topicseen#msg94958

I pre-ordered my 7DMk2 from B&H three weeks ago. My order originally was listed with an order status of November, who knows... but I am in no hurry, although I am looking forward to using it with my new EF 16-35mm f/4L, while my existing 7D will alternate between the 17-55mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8Lii. Someday, I will get a full-frame camera... I keep saying that in going from 30D to 40D to 7D... but Canon keeps delaying my decision ;-)

To me, shopping at Amazon is just like shopping at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, with very competitive pricing and a lot more convenient due to their expansive offerings. But Amazon is *NOT* a "camera store" anymore than Wal-Mart is a camera store or sporting goods store. And I am increasingly turned off by Amazon's business ethics.

During the past few years, Amazon has been sued by their own workers at their fulfillment center warehouses that makes me think their business ethics are also becoming like Wal-Mart's strong-arm tactics. Amazon's hourly-paid warehouse workers have sued the company for detaining them an extra unpaid 30 minutes after each 12-hour shift in order to pass through security checkpoints to make sure they are not stealing merchandise. And if Amazon's warehouse workers are injured on the job, they are frequently pressured to avoid reporting the injuries to OSHA by saying that the injuries were due to pre-existing conditions or minimizing the severity of injuries to avoid having to report them.

While I still shop Amazon for various household goods, I try to avoid buying camera gear and any electronics from Amazon unless their price is significantly lower than the competition (and Amazon is rarely cheaper than B&H and Adorama for camera gear by more than $5 or $10). Last year, when I was shopping to buy four internal hard drives for RAID storage, B&H actually sold them $14 cheaper than Amazon (for a $56 savings), and B&H had free shipping and no tax.

Amazon's packaging is often highly variable with how snug the items are securely held in place inside the boxes. Their packaging has improved compared to ten years ago, but I still get lots of boxes where items freely slide around inside the boxes, banging into other items. I have had small items damaged inside Amazon boxes because larger heavier items were also packed inside the box and not enough air pillows or paper wrapping were used to prevent them from sliding around. But every shipment that I have received from B&H and Adorama has been very tightly and snugly packaged. During the past three years, I have also received two items sold directly by Amazon that were supposed to be in new condition, but were obviously used. I received an X-Rite ColorMunki from their Kentucky warehouse that was very obviously used - the taping on the box was already broken and the box looked very old, the colorimeter itself had scratches and fingerprints on it. Even worse, I received a vitamin supplement from Amazon's Phoenix warehouse that was already opened! The paper security seal was torn off and about half of the pills were missing. Amazon's customer service is very helpful with exchanges... but their warehouse practices are worse than many online merchants. Amazon is now the Wal-Mart of the online world.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Davebo said:
Don't want to disappoint....but Amazon often lists a release date for a product (not just cameras) ,then they change the availability date a time or two into the future. Wouldn't be surprised if date gets changed to Nov. 15 (or later) the closer we get to Oct. 30.
YA RIGHT BUT I HOPE YA TOO
THE STORE I PREORDER THE 7D 2 FROM BEACH CAMERA OVER IN NJ CHARGED ME FOR THE CAMERA BUT THEN GAVE ME MY $$$ BACK THEY TRYED TOO GET THE CAMERA BY OCT 16 BUT THEY COULDNT SO DEY TOLD ME VIA EMAIL
NOV 1-5th but amazon via costumer service and a 3 way phone convo with beach camera costumer support dey tryed too assure me OCT 30th they would release and ship my camera and the guy puts me on top of the shipping list at fedx and waiving my shipping of $19.00 so i hope he wasnt lying on a recorded call

Upvote 0
did you cancel your preorder from beach camera? if not, i would just keep it and then cancel in the future if/when you are able to get a camera in hand from another store.
i don't understand how 1 day shipping is "super slow." it is what it is, 1 day. if you cannot wait the one day for shipping then you should absolutely go to NYC on the release day and buy it in person....

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
BigAntTVProductions said:
Sportsgal501 said:
I'm just going to B&H on it's release day to pick it up.

lucky u but they havnt updated there system yet too oct 28-30th but i have the same plan but just too warn u there might be a line

And that assumes they have sufficient stock for pre-order fulfillment, both shipped and store waiting list. They may be sold out before the product ever arrives on the first shipment.

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
EchoLocation said:
did you cancel your preorder from beach camera? if not, i would just keep it and then cancel in the future if/when you are able to get a camera in hand from another store.
i don't understand how 1 day shipping is "super slow." it is what it is, 1 day. if you cannot wait the one day for shipping then you should absolutely go to NYC on the release day and buy it in person....
Probably due to the large number of pre-orders not all get processed in one day therefore the poster has decided it is slow.

Upvote 0

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
Old Sarge said:
Sportsgal501 said:

lucky u but they havnt updated there system yet too oct 28-30th but i have the same plan but just too warn u there might be a line

And that assumes they have sufficient stock for pre-order fulfillment, both shipped and store waiting list. They may be sold out before the product ever arrives on the first shipment.

Doubt every one will be lining up for this camera on "Black Friday" but there are a few other camera shops in the city,so I'm pretty confident I will be able to pick one up.No need to panic it's not like an XBox One or PS4 release date...lol.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Craig Burrows said:
I have just had a phone call saying the 7D Mark II will be in my hands before the end of next week so Oct 24th, however I was first in line ordering from Camera World. Now how do I justify buying a 400mm lens...

flip a coin....

Heads 400F2.8
Tails 400F5.6
lands on the edge, 400F4 DO

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Sportsgal501 said:
Old Sarge said:
Sportsgal501 said:

Doubt every one will be lining up for this camera on "Black Friday" but there are a few other camera shops in the city,so I'm pretty confident I will be able to pick one up.No need to panic it's not like an XBox One or PS4 release date...lol.

ACTUALLY WE DO HAVE TOO WORRY THE ONLY STORES IN NYC THAT WILL HAVE IT
B&H ADORAMA K&M ON BROADWAY OFF CANAL STREET and MAYBE 42nd PHOTO AND BEST BESY
and every lil non pro photog and or fake photog in nyc metro area will be trying too get there hands on 1
WE ALL KNOW B&H AND ADORAMA TRADE IN DEPARTMENT WILL BE BUSY LOL
so im not goin take my chances on missing out on this phenon camera too some novice,tourist with hella $$$ or skateboard punk lol when it come too photography ya skills can only go so far without good eqipment too even it all out

Upvote 0