7D Mark II Amazing Custom Settings

rossstevens said:
I just got this camera about a week ago . I love all the different custom settings .Its going to take me awhile to go through them . I love that button next to the joystick . I was wondering if theirs a raw format for this camera yet . I would REALLY LIKE to shoot raw . Please let me know . -Stevens-

I use CS5 and I'm not ready to switch to Lightroom. For now I use Adobe DNG converter which lets me convert to DNG and support my earlier camera raw version. Eventually I'll make the LR purchase once the price drops a bit.

You can also use the DPP app that came with the camera. It's a pain but it works....mostly.

Upvote 0
giova said:
Isaac Grant said:
I set up my camera as follows. Please note I am a bird photographer so if this does not interest you just skip over.

AF-ON button has a custom setting for Birds in Flight. Go to the custom controls (3rd tab in the orange menu). It should be set for metering and AF start. Then hit the info button and 4 more options appear. Mine are set as follows. AF start position set to SEL. 2nd is set to AI servo case 1. 3rd is set to AI servo. 4th is set to expanded zone focus. So basically when I hit that button I am immediately in ai servo with zone focus with the sensitivity that I set for case 1. No excuse to ever miss a BIF shot now.

The * button is set as to sel, case 2, one shot, af area 1 point focus. So again I hit that button and am automatically in one shot with center point focus.

I custom set the Set button to be the magnifier button at 2x. So no need to use my left hand at all and can quickly see if I have the correct shot and sharpness that I need.

I custom set the multi controller to direct AF point selection. so while in one shot or servo I can just move it to pick any focus point or zone that I want without pressing any other buttons.

And the AF lever I custom set to ISO. so I just need to pull the lever and turn the main dial to quickly change ISO. Again without taking my eye off of the camera at all.

All of these can be done very easily while eye is on the subject. For instance I am shooting a shore bird and am using one shot to do so with my thumb on the * and the bird takes off flying. Now I only need to move my thumb and I can instantly track it in expanded zone and AI SERVO.

In addition I have the shutter set to metering and af start. This allows me to press shutter half way and I have it set to ai servo and 1 point focus. So now I have 3 options at my fingertips.

Only shutter with ai servo and center point focus easily switched to stay on the eye with my multicontroller.

af-on with ai servo and expanded zone for BIF

and the * with one shot and center point.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot
I have a question about your setting:
Ok to assign a different option (for example C1 and C2) at the botton Af/on and * to have two different choise to shoot but is necessary to press continuos the button or if to press it the option is started and remain if no press more ?
Is it possible assigne to the same botton also the number of focus point and all those options are working togheter ?
Thanks

See reply #8. There is no way assign it so it stays selected when you press the button. Only selects AF mode while the button is down.. You can assign other functions to set when it's pushed. For example you want spot AF and ISO 1000 when you press the button. The is a new feature for anything less than a 1D.

I would like to be able to toggle between high speed drive mode and silent mode but have not found that to be possible.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Isaac Grant said:
I set up my camera as follows. Please note I am a bird photographer so if this does not interest you just skip over.

AF-ON button has a custom setting for Birds in Flight. Go to the custom controls (3rd tab in the orange menu). It should be set for metering and AF start. Then hit the info button and 4 more options appear. Mine are set as follows. AF start position set to SEL. 2nd is set to AI servo case 1. 3rd is set to AI servo. 4th is set to expanded zone focus. So basically when I hit that button I am immediately in ai servo with zone focus with the sensitivity that I set for case 1. No excuse to ever miss a BIF shot now.

The * button is set as to sel, case 2, one shot, af area 1 point focus. So again I hit that button and am automatically in one shot with center point focus.

I custom set the Set button to be the magnifier button at 2x. So no need to use my left hand at all and can quickly see if I have the correct shot and sharpness that I need.

I custom set the multi controller to direct AF point selection. so while in one shot or servo I can just move it to pick any focus point or zone that I want without pressing any other buttons.

And the AF lever I custom set to ISO. so I just need to pull the lever and turn the main dial to quickly change ISO. Again without taking my eye off of the camera at all.

All of these can be done very easily while eye is on the subject. For instance I am shooting a shore bird and am using one shot to do so with my thumb on the * and the bird takes off flying. Now I only need to move my thumb and I can instantly track it in expanded zone and AI SERVO.

In addition I have the shutter set to metering and af start. This allows me to press shutter half way and I have it set to ai servo and 1 point focus. So now I have 3 options at my fingertips.

Only shutter with ai servo and center point focus easily switched to stay on the eye with my multicontroller.

af-on with ai servo and expanded zone for BIF

and the * with one shot and center point.

Hope that helps.
I got a similar setup, but shutter button to metering only, AF-ON to AI Servo AF only and * button with one shot AF and single point. With this 2 AF button setup, the "viewfinder display illumination during AI servo AF" option (which allow the viewfinder to flash red intermittently in AI Servo AF mode when metering is active) become very useful in low light situation where it's hard to see the viewfinder AF point and info. During such situation, you can just set to AI Servo mode and the viewfinder will flash red intermittently when the metering is active (so that you can see the AF points and info in the viewfinder) and still use one-shot AF or AI Servo AF to your shooting... but I think battery life will be shorten by quite a bit... ha ha ha :p

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0